: Siezed Discs

RRIXX
05-03-13, 12:38 PM
I'm trying to get my front discs off my 2011 CTS and they are not cooperating. I am reluctant to use a 5 pound hammer so I have been using a rubber mallet try to loosen them but to avail. Any suggestions?

99flhr
05-03-13, 03:06 PM
1. spray with penetrating oil
2. install lug nuts
3. hit the corner of the "hat" area with hammer. ( 3lb "work hammer" preferred)

This yeilds far better results than hitting the disc from the backside

worlda
05-10-13, 03:53 AM
There is a lock pin on the rotor did you undo it it in the mid of the rotor GM put it on to line up the rotor
Charlie

OMG
05-10-13, 12:56 PM
99flhr pretty much sums it up.

I use PB blaster and taps on the hat to break as much rust loose as I can. Let the PB work for about 15 mins while I work on the other rotors then I tab the back of the rotor but from the INSIDE of the edge of the rotor to try to pop it out as straight as possible.

Method has worked for me for years on 50+ brake changes I've done.

Only vehicle we couldn't get off was my sister's H3 which didn't get changed until 90k mi. After 2 hrs my dad ended up just cutting the rotor hat off.

C "T" ess
05-11-13, 12:03 PM
be sure to use plenty of brake clean spray if you plan on using that disc again.

RRIXX
05-11-13, 02:37 PM
There is a lock pin on the rotor did you undo it it in the mid of the rotor GM put it on to line up the rotor
Charlie

Yes, I had done that already. I was able to get them off by hitting the 'hat' of the disc with a 3 pound hammer. Thanks for your all your help. All is good.