: AWD conversion

JeffB13
05-03-13, 01:08 PM
Has anyone done an AWD conversion using STS-4 parts? Being from the PNW and the V is my daily driver, the only gripe I have with the car is the lack of AWD. So its come down to keeping the V and converting it to AWD or trading in for an Audi S6 or S7.

When I was swaping out the brakes the other day, I noticed the driveshaft hole through the oil pan and the front bearings are splined which makes me think they are the same as the rear and the same as the STS-4. Looks like the front struts would be in the way front half shafts, but I would think the STS-4 ones would bolt right in.

Do the STS-4 and STS-V share the same trans? I wonder if the AWD drivetrain could handle the torque of the V engine?

So physically, I think it would be a pretty simple conversion with all bolt on parts and no custom fabrication. I would think the dificulty would come with all the electronics. The STS-4 uses the same size tires front and rear which would throw off all the calibrations from the ABS, traction control, active handling, etc. Maybe they could be imported from the STS-4? Do the STS-4s use a separate computer for the transfer case or is it programmed into the PCM?

Any thoughts on this?

PNBLWZD
05-03-13, 03:28 PM
Back in 2007, a friend of mine was looking at the different STS options and was trying to decide between the V and the 4. He was told that the reason GM didn't offer the V in AWD was the drivetrain couldn't handle the power.

1madstsv
05-04-13, 12:01 AM
There was a sts4 for sale a fue years ago that was turboed and was 480-500 hp. That would be the thing to do rather than the other way. But the Audi s7is very nice our rs7 if you have the $$$$.

EChas3
05-05-13, 12:06 AM
The differences are many.

The AWD transmission tunnel protrudes further into the passenger footwell. The front shocks are different. The stabilty control is different. The AWD front differential gear is 3.23; what's the V's?

PNBLWZD
05-05-13, 12:47 AM
Plus there has to be a transfer case, which probably requires a shorter output snout/housing to attach to the transmission if it's anything like the trucks.

Charles Warren
05-05-13, 01:28 PM
Off topic, they put a sts4 setup in a 69 camaro, I have to find the link but sorry I couldnt help on the subject

The Raven
05-05-13, 02:28 PM
Yeah you would definitely be better off buying an STS4 and putting a turbo on it. You could then swap on the V2 hubs and brakes, and have lots of good wheel options. And then go looking for a V hood and front bumper to complete the look. You would then have an AWD STS that makes more power than the V, and looks just as good. You would likely have to build the transmission also, but i'm sure you could find a shop out there that can do that for you.

1BadCadSTS
05-06-13, 03:15 AM
There was a sts4 for sale a fue years ago that was turboed and was 480-500 hp. That would be the thing to do rather than the other way. But the Audi s7is very nice our rs7 if you have the $$$$.

I never heard of that....

TimmyC
05-07-13, 01:40 PM
I saw that turbo awd when it was for sale. The setup was not to my liking and there is/was no way to tune the 05 and 06 cars so they had a meth kit for the extra fuel.

The V rear gear is 3.23 so that would work if there is clearance for the front shaft.

Fierofiend
05-07-13, 02:02 PM
Car and Driver mentioned that the engine was lowered in the V, not sure if that would reduce space for the front end.

1BadCadSTS
05-07-13, 07:48 PM
Madtuner provides mail order tuning for the 05-06 ECMs now

JeffB13
05-09-13, 11:23 AM
The differences are many.

The AWD transmission tunnel protrudes further into the passenger footwell. The front shocks are different. The stabilty control is different. The AWD front differential gear is 3.23; what's the V's?

Thanks for all the replys. I think the stability control is definitely the deal breaker.

RS7 is out of the question, but the S7 is very very appealing. Maybe I'll hold on to the V till next spring and go for the S7.