: ATS Trunk won't open

pcpopcorn
05-03-13, 10:23 AM
I have a 2013 ATS 2.0 Turbo and the trunk will not open.My car does not have the rear seat pass through.If I use the key fob or the button on the inside of the door or the button at the trunk you hear a click but the trunk remains locked.On the display it shows the trunk is open.Is there a way to manually open the trunk with the key that slides out of the key fob?

MASCAD
05-03-13, 11:33 AM
Doesn't it have folding rear seat backs? If so, you should be able to fold the backs and reach the inside emergency trunk release.

pcpopcorn
05-03-13, 11:37 AM
I wish it did no it does not.I also thought it had a rear pass through but no the back sead is solid behind the arm rest.
Doesn't it have folding rear seat backs? If so, you should be able to fold the backs and reach the inside emergency trunk release.

MASCAD
05-03-13, 11:57 AM
I wish it did no it does not.I also thought it had a rear pass through but no the back sead is solid behind the arm rest.

Sounds like it's a 2.0 Standard trim?

pcpopcorn
05-03-13, 12:08 PM
Sounds like it's a 2.0 Standard trim?
Luxury AWD 6AM69

MASCAD
05-03-13, 12:33 PM
Luxury AWD 6AM69

Believe the luxury & premium trims are suppose to have split folding seat backs while the performance trim has just the pass through. Well at least that's what the Cadillac site indicates. Looking at the owners manual, section 2, would indicate that the release can be reached either through the pass through or by folding down the seat backs. But if you don't have either feature there would not be any way to reach it. Also the manual states the key can be used to open the door and or glove box but doesn't say anything about the trunk.

Bertha D Blues
05-03-13, 02:25 PM
pcpopcorn, since you hear a click you may have a misaligned trunk latch. The trunk has a rubber seal so you may be able to open it by pressing down on the trunk lid/brake light while pressing the button. That might release excess pressure on the latch to let it "pop". Bert

ATScape
05-03-13, 04:11 PM
Same thing happened to me first day I had the car. I just jiggle the trunk while lifting with constant pressure while pressing the open button till it opened. Took it to the dealer but couldn't replicate the problem. Hasn't done it again.

MASCAD
05-03-13, 04:37 PM
Looked at the ATS and it does not have a keyway for the trunk like the CTS has

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-03-13, 09:54 PM
I have a 2013 ATS 2.0 Turbo and the trunk will not open.My car does not have the rear seat pass through.If I use the key fob or the button on the inside of the door or the button at the trunk you hear a click but the trunk remains locked.On the display it shows the trunk is open.Is there a way to manually open the trunk with the key that slides out of the key fob?

Hello pcpopcorn,

I am sorry you are having difficulties with opening your trunk. Unfortunately the key that slides out of the key fob can only be used for the driver door and glove box. If you are unable to open the trunk from the button inside your vehicle or on the remote keyless entry, I recommend taking your vehicle to the dealership. Your vehicle is still under warranty and they should be able to assist in fixing this concern for you. Please let me know if you decide to take your vehicle to the dealership and the issue is fixed and or if you fix this on your own. I want to make sure your vehicle is working properly. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

MyfirstCad
05-08-13, 01:36 AM
I have the performance trim and this happen to me once. I made hook out of an old broom stick 3 zip ties and some duct tape.... Then I reached through the pass through and fished the emergency grab handle for a quick yank and voila, open trunk. Hasn't happen since.

Bertha D Blues
05-08-13, 02:47 PM
I have the performance trim and this happen to me once. I made hook out of an old broom stick 3 zip ties and some duct tape.... Then I reached through the pass through and fished the emergency grab handle for a quick yank and voila, open trunk. Hasn't happen since.

Hey, if you made up a bunch of those, how many would you need to offer a “group buy”? Ξ:^) Bert

RippyPartsDept
05-08-13, 03:08 PM
valet mode?

Cisitalia
05-08-13, 07:17 PM
Same thing happened to me. But there was no way to open it with the rear or door push button, even pushing hard on the trunk. I had the fold down seats, so I could easily open it. But when shut it would still not open. Had to take it to the dealer and they adjusted the latching mechanism and no problems since. I thought if you did not have fold down seats, you had the center arm rest pass thru. Hard to believe you don't have it. Good luck.

Badin64
09-04-13, 04:54 PM
ATS 2.0Turbo 6 Speed Manual. Was somewhat embarrassed picking up car at valet parking and trunk would not open. Tried trunk button, button on door, then key fob. Nothing worked. Had valet put suitcase on rear seat. Later thought, I bet you can't open trunk with motor running. Cadillac could do a lot better in writing their manual. In the mean time, about 20 people thought there must be a problem with a new Caddy. Figured out that with engine running, the parking brake has to be activated or the trunk will not open. This cannot be found in the manual.

Yplus
09-05-13, 02:06 PM
I had the opposite. The trunk would open but when you closed it, it would pop open 9 out of 10 times unless you closed it slowly and deliberately. The dealer found the latch was mis-aligned and fixed it. No problems since....

JavaGirl
09-05-13, 02:31 PM
ATS 2.0Turbo 6 Speed Manual. Was somewhat embarrassed picking up car at valet parking and trunk would not open. Tried trunk button, button on door, then key fob. Nothing worked. Had valet put suitcase on rear seat. Later thought, I bet you can't open trunk with motor running. Cadillac could do a lot better in writing their manual. In the mean time, about 20 people thought there must be a problem with a new Caddy. Figured out that with engine running, the parking brake has to be activated or the trunk will not open. This cannot be found in the manual.

This is not exactly the same case with my 2014. The only requirement for opening the trunk on my ATS is the vehicle gear shifter must be moved to Park. No parking break is required.

ewired
09-05-13, 06:37 PM

Why wouldn't you set the brake while the motor was running when you exited the car?

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-05-13, 09:31 PM
I had the opposite. The trunk would open but when you closed it, it would pop open 9 out of 10 times unless you closed it slowly and deliberately. The dealer found the latch was mis-aligned and fixed it. No problems since....
Hello Yplus,

I am sorry to hear that your ATS was experiencing issues with its trunk. I am happy to hear that the dealership was able to address the concern and that you have not had an issue since. Please feel free to private message me on this account if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Bertha D Blues
09-05-13, 09:50 PM
Badin64, my trunk opens with the engine running and in park. I don't need to apply the parking brake. Bert

ewired
09-05-13, 10:07 PM
Badin64, my trunk opens with the engine running and in park. I don't need to apply the parking brake. Bert
Badin64 has a 6spd manual