: Does my V need to be tuned?

H-town_V
05-03-13, 02:32 AM
So since I got my 05 V if done a couple basic mods and I'm wondering if I really need to get it tuned or will it just be a waste of money since my car is still very much stock.

Mods include (k&n intake, magnaflow cat-back, and ls7 clutch kit). The car deff drives a lot different/better from when I first got it.

I guess I'm just wondering how much a good tune would affect/improve my car?

HAMSTAR
05-03-13, 03:03 AM
Well, you're not putting it in any danger. Those mods aren't going to increase airflow any more than your computer can handle (I think it can thow up to 20% more fuel at it, but not more). And if you can drive the car OK with the lighter flywheel, then you're fine (some very light flywheels require an adjustment in idle speed). If you do headers though, then you'll need a tune.

darkman
05-03-13, 06:55 AM
While I agree with Hamster's post, I would also say that a good tune would likely gain some horsepower and increased fuel economy. Whether those improvements would justify the expense for you is pretty much a personal choice but the horsepower per dollar ratio is not bad compared to other mods. Finally, many good tuners will modify your tune for almost nothing to incorporate future mods once you have purchased a baseline tune from them.

HAMSTAR
05-03-13, 08:04 AM
While I agree with Hamster's post, I would also say that a good tune would likely gain some horsepower and increased fuel economy. Whether those improvements would justify the expense for you is pretty much a personal choice but the horsepower per dollar ratio is not bad compared to other mods. Finally, many good tuners will modify your tune for almost nothing to incorporate future mods once you have purchased a baseline tune from them.

HamSTAR

darkman
05-03-13, 08:39 AM
HamSTAR

I am not illiterate, I just can't read.

H-town_V
05-03-13, 12:48 PM
What kinda HP gains do you think I could get from a tune. Is 20+ HP too much to expect?

darkman
05-03-13, 01:06 PM
What kinda HP gains do you think I could get from a tune. Is 20+ HP too much to expect?

Based on my experience I think 20 is a realistic expectation together with 2 mpg during highway driving. Since a few more ponies often encourages spirited driving the added mpg may not show up right away.

H-town_V
05-03-13, 02:56 PM
Well, you're not putting it in any danger. Those mods aren't going to increase airflow any more than your computer can handle (I think it can thow up to 20% more fuel at it, but not more). And if you can drive the car OK with the lighter flywheel, then you're fine (some very light flywheels require an adjustment in idle speed). If you do headers though, then you'll need a tune.

Sometimes when I come to a sudden stop while in neutral the rpms will drop down to like 400 the car kinda hiccups then goes back to a normal ideal. Could an adjustment to idle speed fix that?

alradco
05-03-13, 03:19 PM
I would do it. It may not be a huge gain right off the bat but at least you'll have a baseline and know that the car is tuned properly.

darkman
05-03-13, 03:41 PM
Sometimes when I come to a sudden stop while in neutral the rpms will drop down to like 400 the car kinda hiccups then goes back to a normal ideal. Could an adjustment to idle speed fix that?

Yes. Although I am not a tuner, and not qualified to explain the details, my tuner discovered that under the circumstances you describe the stock tune momentarily pulls all the timing advance. In my case, that feature did not cause the engine to stall until my last set of modifications (heads, FAST 102 Intake added to light flywheel & cam setup).

BigDaddy-V
05-03-13, 04:24 PM
I had very similar mods to yours minus the clutch and flywheel mod, and I had mine tuned and did notice a nicegain across the board with performance and fuel mileage. I think it is more about making everything work together with better and tight tolerences. It would not be a waste of your time to do it and like Darkman said the good tuners will charge less fees for future mods if they already have your files and tunes and just have to make minor changes.

BDV

H-town_V
05-03-13, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice and info, I figured it wouldn't be a compleat waste of money. I do plan todo further mods in the future I just can't say when I'll have the funds/time/help...etc. so it's good to know a retune is much cheaper.

philistine
05-03-13, 05:12 PM
Keep in mind to prep your car before taking it down there. Know what kind of spark plugs you have, pull them out clean them and record the gap. Get a full tank of gas.

If you've never witnessed a tuning session, go to one first to see what to expect. I take pics and video of mine.

H-town_V
05-03-13, 05:23 PM
Keep in mind to prep your car before taking it down there. Know what kind of spark plugs you have, pull them out clean them and record the gap. Get a full tank of gas.

If you've never witnessed a tuning session, go to one first to see what to expect. I take pics and video of mine.

I've been through the tuning process once on my 06 Nissan Titan, it had LT headers full exhaust and some other bolt ons. This is just my first time dealing with a modded LSX motor.

JDB
05-22-13, 07:30 AM
You don't need one, you're not hurting anything.

The factory leaves these motors on the rich side and therefore there is a few ponies left on the table without any mods. That said, what you will partially gain from a tune with your mods is from what GM left there. Your mods will help with area under the curve. You'll probably see about +15-20whp and +1-2 mpg. Cost is in the $300-500 and tuners generally discount future tunes. I waited until I got headers to tune it.

Where are you located? I'm sure someone can recommend a tuner.

PISNUOFF
05-22-13, 11:14 AM
Positive long term fuel trims continue to add fuel even during wide open throttle. Because you added more air the computer compensates for this by adding more fuel. You are losing power because you are now even more rich under WOT than the factory tune was to begin with. It may not be much but you are losing some. A tune will help you.

H-town_V
05-22-13, 01:11 PM
Thanks again for the replys.

I've already made an appointment for tomorrow morning at Gforce Motorsports here in south Houston.

Does any body have any experience getting a tune there?

P-Funk
05-22-13, 03:47 PM
I have not had any experience with Gforce, but I have heard some good things about them. I got mine tuned at ARD in west Houston and I think they do a good job. ARD also will re-tune for free after you do more mods and such. They re-tuned mine for free after I added exhaust and CAI and the dealership re-flashed my tune when getting some warranty work done (which was unrelated to the tune at all). They are also good guys. If you end up not liking Gforce (or are looking for another shop for some reason), I would recommend ARD. Either way, post up your results and impressions of Gforce.

MikeDeadly
05-22-13, 03:55 PM
Can any one recommend a tuner in San Antonio?

H-town_V
05-23-13, 01:54 PM
I couldn't be happier... Gforce handled me and my V very professionally. I was also impressed with the power my car made. The baseline was 341hp/336tq and tuned it made 351hp/343tq.

I was Evan happier when they showed me the dyno sheets of another (ls2) V they tuned earlier this week, it only made 339hp and had same mods but corsa exhaust.

darkman
05-23-13, 03:11 PM
Can any one recommend a tuner in San Antonio?

The closest I can get to San Antonio is Victoria, Texas. Patrick Guerra of the Guerra Group (aka PatrickG on the other forum) is one of the best in the country.

P-Funk
05-29-13, 04:50 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much did gforce charge for the tune?

H-town_V
05-29-13, 06:05 PM
$500. Which is kinda on the high side,but there right down the street from me and their good people to deal with.

Plus $500 seems to be the common price for a good ls tune here in Houston.

RyRidesMotoX
05-30-13, 02:14 AM
$500 isn't bad for a tune anywhere... Hell here $500 is where tunes start... And it just goes up from there.

P-Funk
05-30-13, 10:50 AM
Yeah, $500 isn't too high. It's about average from what I've found.