: is your Transmission quirky??

shore
05-02-13, 10:34 PM
I know this sounds like an odd question but I don't know how better summarize it. It doesn't feel wrong it just feels odd.

Strong pedal acceleration and it shifts fine. Smooth and predictable.

On light driving, each time it shifts it lets off power and then picks up. Almost like massive Tq management. 2nd and 3rd shifts seem to be the worst about this.

Another thing, driving highway speeds, 75mph or so, going to pass someone, thing drops 2-3 gears to get going. No hills or anything odd, seems the more aggressive I am with the pedal the quicker it responds and goes but if I'm gentle(mpg) it feels like a slug.

I'm wondering if this is all centered around an overly aggressive Tq management system or this is just normal.

Sure seems hard to drive smoothly in traffic with it backing off each shift in the lower gears.

Rich08
05-02-13, 10:45 PM
Thats exactly what I feel with my truck and I just took it in for this and the dealer said it was alright no problems. It's frustrating when I'm in traffic and this happens. I've read and heard about alot of people with this problem. I'm gonna go to another dealer and see what happens in a couple weeks.

shore
05-02-13, 11:24 PM
It seems like the only way to make the trans shift smoothly is with more pedal than you want.

I might try paddling the shifter and see if it goes way or persists.

It's certainly annoying.

Banshee8732
05-02-13, 11:32 PM
If I'm gentle and don't rod on mine sometimes it feels kind of weird from 2nd to 3rd. Almost like it doesn't want to go and then POW it goes. I dunno ??

shore
05-02-13, 11:41 PM
That and it doesn't feel like it gets moving until you hear the airbox sucking air. Moderate acceleration gets all this airbox noise like an old 4 barrel carb.

Ghost Deany
05-03-13, 12:38 AM
If I'm gentle and don't rod on mine sometimes it feels kind of weird from 2nd to 3rd. Almost like it doesn't want to go and then POW it goes. I dunno ??

Theres a TSB for this. Its the hard shift/flare from 2nd into 3rd. I had it on mine, theres a seal kit they install and some other stuff and it fixes the issue.

Just checked my invoice it says

Cause : Doc 2702577 applies

1 retainer
1 frt freight
1 seal kit
1 seal
1 seal
6 ATF

Doc 2702577 applies k9531 5.40 replace sealing rings with new design. My trans has shifted smooth ever since no more hard shift. Had it done back in 2011.

Damndirtyape
05-03-13, 03:47 PM
I don't have the flare issue but I hated the TM and the shift strategy from the factory so I had Blackbear tune my truck and it's still not perfect but worlds better. I'm not afraid to pull out in traffic anymore which is a shame for a 400hp truck to have ever felt that way.

Nice Ride
05-03-13, 09:04 PM
Theres a TSB for this. Its the hard shift/flare from 2nd into 3rd. I had it on mine, theres a seal kit they install and some other stuff and it fixes the issue.

1 retainer
1 frt freight
1 seal kit
1 seal
1 seal
6 ATF

Doc 2702577 applies k9531 5.40 replace sealing rings with new design. My trans has shifted smooth ever since no more hard shift. Had it done back in 2011.

What year is your truck? I have 09 ESV, flare under light peddle, every now and then a hard clunk into 2nd. Dealer said they could not find anything wrong. Flare is about 500 rpm.

Ghost Deany
05-04-13, 03:50 AM
What year is your truck? I have 09 ESV, flare under light peddle, every now and then a hard clunk into 2nd. Dealer said they could not find anything wrong. Flare is about 500 rpm. Mine is an 07

Banshee8732
05-06-13, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the info on the TSB. My Escalade is at the dealer right now. I told them about the hard 2-3 shift and the TSB. They're going to see if they can duplicate it. I hope they can or else I imagine they'll tell me there's nothing they can do.

Rich08
05-08-13, 02:50 PM
@Banshee what did the dealer say?

Banshee8732
05-08-13, 10:27 PM
The phrase I'm tired of hearing: we couldn't verify it. It's happened twice to me in the last day. LOL. go figure!

Ghost Deany
05-08-13, 10:53 PM
Mine was doing the 2-3 hard shift almost 90% of the time on my 07.

Banshee8732
05-08-13, 11:29 PM
Did you get it fixed?

Banshee8732
05-20-13, 10:45 PM
Update on mine. Tech finally verified the hard shift. I took it in today. Last night I was getting the hard shift every time when I just barely touched the pedal. Shifts smooth when I hot rod on it. Good news- they're either rebuilding or replacing my transmission. Bad news- no Escalade until at least Thursday. Again.

Whiterob
05-21-13, 09:13 AM
So since it is a tsb and not a recall, what are the conditions on getting it fixed I too have noticed this and am quite annoyed with it. But my escalade has 150k so not sure they are likely to do anything.

48Dodge
05-22-13, 08:38 AM
Does anyone have a work order on getting this repaired? I've had mine at the dealer a couple times but of course it didn't shift hard with them. I even drove it once with a tech. We'll my dealer moved about 30 minutes from here. Are the valves a pretty inexpensive fix? I am thinking of bringing it into a transmission shop to get the repairs done if it's somewhat cheap.

48Dodge
05-22-13, 08:39 AM

1 retainer
1 frt freight
1 seal kit
1 seal
1 seal
6 ATF

Just saw this. Anyone have a cost the dealer "charged" caddy for this repair?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-22-13, 10:45 AM
Does anyone have a work order on getting this repaired? I've had mine at the dealer a couple times but of course it didn't shift hard with them. I even drove it once with a tech. We'll my dealer moved about 30 minutes from here. Are the valves a pretty inexpensive fix? I am thinking of bringing it into a transmission shop to get the repairs done if it's somewhat cheap.

Hello 48Dodge,

I am sorry your dealer was unable to duplicate your issue with your vehicle. If you would like to discuss this concern and have me research on your behalf I am more than happy to assist if you private message me with your contact information, VIN, mileage and dealership name and location.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

blackex
05-22-13, 10:59 AM
I've noticed the same issue in stop and go traffic my escalade will be in 2nd gear and when I give it some gas when i'm rolling at around 10mph it will make a loud clunk noise usually. I have a few things I would like the dealer to diagnose however i'm so sick and tired of the hours of operation that benefit their own schedule instead of the individuals that work everyday. I tried to setup an appointment for this saturday morning to finally get it in and of course they tell me they will be closed for the holiday.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-22-13, 02:05 PM
I've noticed the same issue in stop and go traffic my escalade will be in 2nd gear and when I give it some gas when i'm rolling at around 10mph it will make a loud clunk noise usually. I have a few things I would like the dealer to diagnose however i'm so sick and tired of the hours of operation that benefit their own schedule instead of the individuals that work everyday. I tried to setup an appointment for this saturday morning to finally get it in and of course they tell me they will be closed for the holiday.

Hi blackex,

I am sorry to hear the dealer is closed for the holiday. I understand how it can be frustrating going around your work schedule only to hear the dealer is closed when you would like to take your vehicle in. I am sorry you are experiencing this issue, and I hope you are able to take your vehicle in for diagnosis early next week. If you would like to discuss anything further, or have concerns you would like help with, please private message us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Mr.SWAG
05-22-13, 08:00 PM
So does this Fix the problem I also have the same problem with my transmission

jdubh25
05-23-13, 07:32 PM
Mine is at the dealer now getting this addressed along with other issues. They are going to do the software update to it to see if that solves the problems.

Laura would you be able to answer a few questions for me?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-13, 11:09 AM
Mine is at the dealer now getting this addressed along with other issues. They are going to do the software update to it to see if that solves the problems.

Laura would you be able to answer a few questions for me?

Hello jdubh25,

If you private message me, I am more than happy to try and assist with answering any questions.

Laura M.

Banshee8732
05-25-13, 03:37 PM
Dealer is rebuilding my transmission. Should have been done already but the torque converter seal didn't come in. So now the earliest I get it back is Tuesday. It's been gone since this past Monday. SMH. I'm about half an issue away from getting rid of this thing. It's pretty disappointing when your vehicle has been in the shop for a week on two different occasions within the last 1.5 months. I love the Escalade, but if things are straightened out with mine I might be better off with a different one.

SouthernCaddy
05-27-13, 08:01 PM
I just bought a 2000 factory GM trans for my esclade, now it shifts very good like it did new :) Plus is has a 3 years unlimited mileage warranty.

Royalton
05-28-13, 03:07 AM
The Trans Thunk (2nd 3rd gear) has been brought up many many times. Most do have it, but not all. I have an 07 and an 09 my 07 is perfect my 09 thunks all day long, very very annoying, GM of course said its normal. Someone once posted up a link to a good youtube video that has a fix for some people.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-28-13, 02:01 PM
Dealer is rebuilding my transmission. Should have been done already but the torque converter seal didn't come in. So now the earliest I get it back is Tuesday. It's been gone since this past Monday. SMH. I'm about half an issue away from getting rid of this thing. It's pretty disappointing when your vehicle has been in the shop for a week on two different occasions within the last 1.5 months. I love the Escalade, but if things are straightened out with mine I might be better off with a different one.

Hello Banshee8732,

I understand how you can be frustrated having to keep your vehicle at the dealer for a week or two at a time. I am happy to hear you love the Escalade! I would be disappointed if my vehicle was more in the shop than in my hands. I hope after these fixes your vehicle is up to par and you are satisfied. Please reach out to us with questions or additional concerns!

Regards,

Laura M.

listkeeper
05-28-13, 02:54 PM
My 2007 acts the same. Sadly I am now out of warranty so I will live with it.

Banshee8732
05-29-13, 11:12 PM
Thanks. Transmission is done. Still waiting on another issue. It's been a boar's nest.

Caddy2489
07-11-13, 09:30 AM
another TSB number that the dealer can find is TSB #09-07-30-004B because i am also having the same problem and tried the one posted earlier in the thread but they couldn't find that so i looked on google and found that ...seems to describe the problem everyone is having perfect ... only problem im having now is because no error
code has been tossed the dealer says it is running fine ... clearly it is not i do have an extended warrenty from
GM but idk what to do next

Leelabell1
07-23-13, 09:24 PM
Mine was doing that then I lost the transmission....you may want to haVe it checked. It cost me $4000.00 to replace and GM would not compensate nor back their product. I have an 07 escalade

wwceaton
07-24-13, 08:28 PM
I know this sounds like an odd question but I don't know how better summarize it. It doesn't feel wrong it just feels odd.

Strong pedal acceleration and it shifts fine. Smooth and predictable.

On light driving, each time it shifts it lets off power and then picks up. Almost like massive Tq management. 2nd and 3rd shifts seem to be the worst about this.

Another thing, driving highway speeds, 75mph or so, going to pass someone, thing drops 2-3 gears to get going. No hills or anything odd, seems the more aggressive I am with the pedal the quicker it responds and goes but if I'm gentle(mpg) it feels like a slug.

I'm wondering if this is all centered around an overly aggressive Tq management system or this is just normal.

Sure seems hard to drive smoothly in traffic with it backing off each shift in the lower gears.

There is a TSB for this..
ĽA/T Controls - Hesitation/Lack of Performance

Bulletin No.: 07-07-30-030

Date: November 21, 2007

TECHNICAL
Subject:
6L80 Automatic Transmission - Hesitation, Lack of Performance, Difficult to Obtain Downshifts (Reprogram TCM)
Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2008 GMC Sierra Denali, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

with 6L80 Automatic Transmission (RPO MYC)

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle has a hesitation or lack of performance when attempting to accelerate with moderate throttle apply in the 56-113 km/h (35-70 mph) range. They may also comment that it is difficult to obtain transmission downshifts in the same 56-113 km/h (35-70 mph) range.

Correction

A revised transmission calibration has been developed to address these issues. Reprogram the transmission control module (TCM) with updated calibration files using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System (SPS) application. As always, make sure your Tech 2(R) is updated with the latest software version.

These calibrations will be "selectable" and should only be used to correct a customer concern as detailed above. Use of this calibration in a vehicle without these concerns may result in comments of busy shifting.

Warranty Information