: What parts should I get changed for tuneup on '03 ESV?

sosatyme72
05-02-13, 09:11 PM
I have 112k miles and looks like still original parts on vehicle from previous owner. Which plugs, wires should I go with? Any
good price sites to order from or should I just got to dealer for them? Just not trying to spend crazy money at dealership on parts if I can get them elsewhere comparable to oem....please let me know

thanks!

the cadillac man
05-02-13, 10:03 PM
I have 112k miles and looks like still original parts on vehicle from previous owner. Which plugs, wires should I go with? Any
good price sites to order from or should I just got to dealer for them? Just not trying to spend crazy money at dealership on parts if I can get them elsewhere comparable to oem....please let me know

thanks!

I got new gm professional iridium plugs at advance auto parts when I did my tune up I kept my old wires as they were still in good shape
The covers are held in place by screws and you will need a 7mm socket to remove the covers with(the screws do not come free of the covers)

I did 7 of the 8 plugs(haven't had the time to tackle the rear plug near the ac lines yet)

Also you need a spark plug socket for the plugs

BDuncan
05-03-13, 11:00 AM
Plugs are the only parts - the rear passenger side is tough but even an old man (me) can do it. I changed mine in my '03 at
90K and they still looked perfect. As noted above, make sure you get the Iridium plugs, AC, ND etc.

the cadillac man
05-03-13, 11:17 AM
Plugs are the only parts - the rear passenger side is tough but even an old man (me) can do it. I changed mine in my '03 at
90K and they still looked perfect. As noted above, make sure you get the Iridium plugs, AC, ND etc.

Bd how did you get that plug out?
I am afraid to get in there in fear of damaging the ac lines if I make a mishap

sosatyme72
05-03-13, 12:00 PM
thanks guys,since im replacing the plugs shouldnt i replace wires as well? also what other parts should i replace all filterss.. shoudl i chnage over to synthetic oil or keep regular oil im using?

the cadillac man
05-03-13, 01:44 PM
thanks guys,since im replacing the plugs shouldnt i replace wires as well? also what other parts should i replace all filterss.. shoudl i chnage over to synthetic oil or keep regular oil im using?

The oil choice is up to you
The wires depend on the condition of the old wires if they aren't in bad shape then most likely they would be ok to reuse
FYI if your truck has the k&n filter don't mess with it

sosatyme72
05-03-13, 02:13 PM
ok i have teh standard air filter.

the cadillac man
05-03-13, 04:31 PM
ok i have teh standard air filter.

Then replace it if its dirty or dusty

BDuncan
05-03-13, 06:00 PM
On the rear plug (passenger side) I have used a few different tools. Probably the easiest is a 5/8" plug socket or 5/8 deep 3/8 drive socket with a box wrench to turn it. I've also used an open end wrench to break it lose. You only need to use a wrench for about 1/4 turn. Use a short piece of 3/8 ID hose on the plug to grip and turn - both removing and installing. If the rear plug doesn't turn easy after breaking it loose use a little WD40 etc.

the cadillac man
05-03-13, 06:47 PM
On the rear plug (passenger side) I have used a few different tools. Probably the easiest is a 5/8" plug socket or 5/8 deep 3/8 drive socket with a box wrench to turn it. I've also used an open end wrench to break it lose. You only need to use a wrench for about 1/4 turn. Use a short piece of 3/8 ID hose on the plug to grip and turn - both removing and installing. If the rear plug doesn't turn easy after breaking it loose use a little WD40 etc.

Ok I have a plug socket and a box wrench I am going to do that sometime soon since that is the only plug I have left to replace(I used anti seize grease on the new plugs to make it easier next time(hopefully)

Silver04
05-24-13, 11:00 AM
I just replaced plugs and wires on my 04 esv (6.0L) last night. It took two of us an hour. Helpful hints:
-8mm or 5/16" is what you need to remove the plastic cover bolts (1 on top, 2 on each side)
-I found removing the oil and tranny dipstick gave me more room to remove that right plastic shield
-I replaced the plugs with AC Delco 41-110's ($7.56 each at my local NAPA)
-I have the square coil packs, thus I needed NAPA part 700989 (NAPA premium wires).
-If you have the circular coil packs you would need NAPA part 700399. The difference between these two wires is about an inch in length. the 700989's are the longer ones.
-The right rear plug was not difficult. I used a 1" extension and got in there quite nicely.
-The left (drivers) front plug-It helped if you disconnected that small sensor by it and moved those wires aside.

the cadillac man
05-24-13, 01:04 PM
I just replaced plugs and wires on my 04 esv (6.0L) last night. It took two of us an hour. Helpful hints:
-8mm or 5/16" is what you need to remove the plastic cover bolts (1 on top, 2 on each side)
-I found removing the oil and tranny dipstick gave me more room to remove that right plastic shield
-I replaced the plugs with AC Delco 41-110's ($7.56 each at my local NAPA)
-I have the square coil packs, thus I needed NAPA part 700989 (NAPA premium wires).
-If you have the circular coil packs you would need NAPA part 700399. The difference between these two wires is about an inch in length. the 700989's are the longer ones.
-The right rear plug was not difficult. I used a 1" extension and got in there quite nicely.
-The left (drivers) front plug-It helped if you disconnected that small sensor by it and moved those wires aside.

Two things I didn't do is remove the dipsticks or the sensor wiring harness and had no problem getting to the plugs(of course I have small hands)