: What is the name of this part?

Snowboarder
05-02-13, 03:00 PM
The area in the green circle. It's not really the dash, not really the center console. The part that is in tan is peeling in my car and I want to replace it. Anyone have a part number?:

http://i44.tinypic.com/16kpb46.jpg

the cadillac man
05-02-13, 03:17 PM
The area in the green circle. It's not really the dash, not really the center console. The part that is in tan is peeling in my car and I want to replace it. Anyone have a part number?:

Mine is doing the same I wonder if we can use paint like on the seats(mine is doing that on the whole right side of the console also)

HALL1343
05-02-13, 04:14 PM
Part of my ESV did the same thing - it was the back part "console" between the driver and passenger seat (just above the second row seating temperature controls). My daughter noticed it peeling and must have thought that it looked like someone peeling after a good sunburn.... she sat back there during a trip and "rubbed off" all of the peeling she could. It kind of made a mess ("What did you DO?!?!?!?" :cookoo:).... then, after we vacuumed it up, you could never tell that the "finished" layer was ever there (it was the very same color underneath). Its looked "good as new" ever since and no more peeling... :o

Now, if we find another area that peels, we rub it "all off" too.

the cadillac man
05-02-13, 04:32 PM
Part of my ESV did the same thing - it was the back part "console" between the driver and passenger seat (just above the second row seating temperature controls). My daughter noticed it peeling and must have thought that it looked like someone peeling after a good sunburn.... she sat back there during a trip and "rubbed off" all of the peeling she could. It kind of made a mess ("What did you DO?!?!?!?" :cookoo:).... then, after we vacuumed it up, you could never tell that the "finished" layer was ever there (it was the very same color underneath). Its looked "good as new" ever since and no more peeling... :o

Now, if we find another area that peels, we rub it "all off" too.

I have noticed that(the lower layer looks like new on mine) I may take some time one day and remove the console and rub every bit of the old off

Snowboarder
05-02-13, 04:54 PM
How is it removed? I'll just rub it all off at this point.

the cadillac man
05-02-13, 05:32 PM
How is it removed? I'll just rub it all off at this point.

There is two ways both are long and tricky

ddj69
05-03-13, 07:08 PM
Gm part 89042008

Silent_Assasin
05-03-13, 08:46 PM
For some reason all the GM suv's do that! My 99 Yukon Denali was peeling very badly by the time I sold it! A big section of the center console on the pass. side was all peeled! Now I have noticed a couple small spots in my 05 EXT doing the same thing! Luckily its the lighter color like yours so its not very noticeable! My Denali was the darker gray and was WAY more annoying to look at! I see newer GM suv's go through the Auto Auctions all the time peeled real bad! You can always google the GM PARTS OUTLET, most those websites have picture diagrams that you should def be able to figure out the exact piece your looking to replace!

the cadillac man
05-03-13, 10:37 PM
For some reason all the GM suv's do that! My 99 Yukon Denali was peeling very badly by the time I sold it! A big section of the center console on the pass. side was all peeled! Now I have noticed a couple small spots in my 05 EXT doing the same thing! Luckily its the lighter color like yours so its not very noticeable! My Denali was the darker gray and was WAY more annoying to look at! I see newer GM suv's go through the Auto Auctions all the time peeled real bad! You can always google the GM PARTS OUTLET, most those websites have picture diagrams that you should def be able to figure out the exact piece your looking to replace!

Thing to it is the console looks like heck on the passenger side (a lot worser then the peice the op shows in the pic) I didn't know but seen small flakes on the carpet and wondered what it was I found out when I vacuumed out the truck (it happened during my winter non cleaning time) I had a time getting that out of the carpet

Now there is a two tone streak on the side of the console

My moms 02 doesn't do this nor does my dads h2

bigirb2002
05-04-13, 01:14 AM
do like i did. install a gps capable double din. replace that piece with a tv problem solved.

the cadillac man
05-04-13, 03:12 AM
do like i did. install a gps capable double din. replace that piece with a tv problem solved.

Not now plus I just recently got the factory nav unit(which I rarely use the nav part anyway I like the audio difference from my old one)

Silent_Assasin
05-04-13, 12:46 PM
do like i did. install a gps capable double din. replace that piece with a tv problem solved. How does that work as far as the rear dvd, my truck has the rear entertainment, i was considering installing a nice double din dvd/navigation in front (aftermarket obviously) will this make my rear entertainment compeletly pointless? or will you still be able to play dvds in the back only through the headsets?.... i would like to have a nice dvd upfront but dont want to completely lose all my factory features....any advice?...

----------

do like i did. install a gps capable double din. replace that piece with a tv problem solved. also i know you can buy the adapter or watever for the aftermarket to still have full function of your steering wheel controls but what about the in dash 6 disc? will I lose that also if i change to aftermarket double din head unit?

the cadillac man
05-04-13, 02:52 PM
How does that work as far as the rear dvd, my truck has the rear entertainment, i was considering installing a nice double din dvd/navigation in front (aftermarket obviously) will this make my rear entertainment compeletly pointless? or will you still be able to play dvds in the back only through the headsets?.... i would like to have a nice dvd upfront but dont want to completely lose all my factory features....any advice?...

----------

also i know you can buy the adapter or watever for the aftermarket to still have full function of your steering wheel controls but what about the in dash 6 disc? will I lose that also if i change to aftermarket double din head unit?

The rear seat entertainment system along with the rear seat audio controls plus the cd changer will only work with the factory radios not aftermarket