: 2013 ATS Premium 3.6, auto, all options: stutters on moderate to hard acceleration

Jack2of3
05-02-13, 08:40 AM
I searched on stutter and hesitate and only found a few ancient posts.
From a stop if I accelerate like an economy minded individual the vehicle operates flawlessly.
From a stop if I apply moderately more pressure the vehicle operates flawlessly.
From around 10 MPH, economy pressure start, if I apply giddy-up pressure it is a stuttering, bucking, confused vehicle.

It has around 1000 miles on the odometer and I run premium gasoline with up to 10% ethanol.
I have not exceeded 4k RPM.

I am going to take the vehicle to Cadillac for a diagnostic but was just wondering if anyone had an idea?

jph
05-02-13, 12:34 PM
at what rpm does this happen? and does the transmission downshift when you press the go-pedal?

try to select a gear yourself, where the rpm's are around 3000 or so, then floor it. does the same thing happen?

time to open that puppy up :) if you haven't gone past 4k rpm, you haven't felt what the 3.6 can do ;)

J.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-02-13, 05:05 PM
From a stop if I accelerate like an economy minded individual the vehicle operates flawlessly.
From a stop if I apply moderately more pressure the vehicle operates flawlessly.
From around 10 MPH, economy pressure start, if I apply giddy-up pressure it is a stuttering, bucking, confused vehicle.

It has around 1000 miles on the odometer and I run premium gasoline with up to 10% ethanol.

I am going to take the vehicle to Cadillac for a diagnostic but was just wondering if anyone had an idea?

Hello Jack2of3,

Welcome to the forum! I hope you are enjoying your 2013 ATS, minus the current stutter and hesitation concerns. I want to stay involved throughout this process and make sure your vehicle concerns are checked out. Please let us know how things go after your dealership visit.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Rifle and rucksack
05-02-13, 09:58 PM

Hello jack2 of 3. Just wanted to chime in. I also have the 3.6 auto premium and have witnessed this behavior also. I usually experience this when the engine is cold. I was thinking that it was the anti-slip function kicking in. I have never thought to turn it off but, once I needed to get in traffic in a hurry and I accelerated moderately . It started to buck but, I held it and the rear wheels spun and twisted the rear to the right slightly. Afterwards it caught grip and accelerated very quickly. Just a thought. Let us know what the dealer mechanics say. I am curious to hear their diagnosis. Thanks!

jph
05-03-13, 05:51 PM
Hello jack2 of 3. Just wanted to chime in. I also have the 3.6 auto premium and have witnessed this behavior also. I usually experience this when the engine is cold. I was thinking that it was the anti-slip function kicking in. I have never thought to turn it off but, once I needed to get in traffic in a hurry and I accelerated moderately . It started to buck but, I held it and the rear wheels spun and twisted the rear to the right slightly. Afterwards it caught grip and accelerated very quickly. Just a thought. Let us know what the dealer mechanics say. I am curious to hear their diagnosis. Thanks!

interesting. was this on a wet road surface?
i can't get my rears to break loose(TC off), from a dead stop in 1st gear, unless i step on the brake, bring the revs up, and then let it loose.

i can see how the traction control, on a wet road might be experiences as "stuttering"

J.

Rifle and rucksack
05-03-13, 08:09 PM
interesting. was this on a wet road surface?
i can't get my rears to break loose(TC off), from a dead stop in 1st gear, unless i step on the brake, bring the revs up, and then let it loose.

i can see how the traction control, on a wet road might be experiences as "stuttering"

J.

No it was dry. Oh and it was not a full burn out or anything. I haven't really tried to burn out or break the rears loose on purpose. I am sure it would with 321 HP and what ever TQ it has. Might have to try it in manual because it up shifts so fast in auto. But the tires are pretty sticky, huh?

morphius909
05-16-13, 02:27 PM
hmmm I notice dead cold start in the morning I notice a wierd stuttering for a few seconds. Its really wierd

I agreed, warm engine and tranny and I floor it the car gives me a WTF behavior.

jph
05-17-13, 02:29 PM
I agreed, warm engine and tranny and I floor it the car gives me a WTF behavior.

does it do this when you select a gear yourself (a nice low one... 1st or 2nd)?
and, when in auto, does it downshift to a proper gear when this happens?

at what rpm and gear does it go WTF on you when you floor it?

J.

torkibe
06-21-14, 10:26 AM
This has been happening to me over the last month or so. I've noticed it more coming out of turns. Anyone else have and resolve or not resolve this issue? OP, were you able to resolve it?

duneless
06-22-14, 11:10 PM
It's time to beat on it a bit. Drive it like you stole it. It might get happier:rant2:

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-23-14, 04:20 PM
This has been happening to me over the last month or so. I've noticed it more coming out of turns. Anyone else have and resolve or not resolve this issue? OP, were you able to resolve it?

Hi torkibe,

I apologize that you are experiencing this stutter upon acceleration. I know you are reaching out to the OP and the forum members, but have you been able to speak with your dealership about this concern? If you would like to discuss this option further, please feel free to PM me.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care