: Rainsense - Not ready for prime time

render1
05-02-13, 12:06 AM
Although the Rainsense wipers seem like a good idea, a great deal of the time they are more of an annoyance than a help. When it's snowing they are almost useless. They can't seem to determine how much snow is covering the windshield. As a result they wipe aggressively when there is nothing there and do nothing when the glass is covered.

Had the same problem on my 09 CTS, but disabled the rainsense function and fell back to plane old reliable intermittent wiping. Just needed to unplug a connector in the housing behind the mirror.

Anyone know if it can be disabled on the ATS too. Or did I miss some option buried deep in one the CUE menus.

Thanks

73JPS
05-02-13, 01:20 AM
With what I understand from the owner's manual, the wipers can be changed to just regular intermittent setting vice the rainsense option (page 5-45 in the manual, although I recognize that this might not be CUE specific).

I get my car later today, and I plan to change to the preference to simple intermittent, since I find the rain sensing wipers on my previous car (Mazda 6) are quite poor, exhibiting many of the characteristics you complain about; your post seems to indicate that the Cadillac set up may be no better.

pever
05-02-13, 09:23 AM
You simply move the right lever down to the bottom and the DIC will display that RainSense is off. Simple - and used to go into a car wash. I like RainSense. Yesterday though, I blew through a cloud of May flies and RainSense was trying hard to remove the nearly unremovable - LOL

slepr
05-02-13, 02:23 PM
I have found that rainsense seems to struggle with the amount of water on the windshield. There are times when it speeds up when a very small amount of water is hitting the windshield, while at other times the windshield is nearly completely covered with water and the view out is significantly altered before rainsense triggers the wipers to move. I am guessing it a simple optical sensor. I wonder if there is any fine tuning that could be done to make it more reliable.

render1
05-03-13, 05:18 PM
Unfortunately, instructions on page 5-45 only apply to non-CUE cars. So it looks like there is no easy way to disable the rainsense.

----------

True, that does turn off rainsense. But that does not allow the use of plain old intermittent wipers.

You simply move the right lever down to the bottom and the DIC will display that RainSense is off. Simple - and used to go into a car wash. I like RainSense. Yesterday though, I blew through a cloud of May flies and RainSense was trying hard to remove the nearly unremovable - LOL

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-13, 07:52 PM
Although the Rainsense wipers seem like a good idea, a great deal of the time they are more of an annoyance than a help. When it's snowing they are almost useless. They can't seem to determine how much snow is covering the windshield. As a result they wipe aggressively when there is nothing there and do nothing when the glass is covered.

Had the same problem on my 09 CTS, but disabled the rainsense function and fell back to plane old reliable intermittent wiping. Just needed to unplug a connector in the housing behind the mirror.

Anyone know if it can be disabled on the ATS too. Or did I miss some option buried deep in one the CUE menus.

Thanks

Hello render1,

I saw you interacted with another forum member on how to turn off the Rainsense but that you were wondering how to turn on the intermittent wipers. On page 5-4 of the owner's manual, it explains intermittent wipes and the lever and buttons to move for this setting. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-04-13, 09:07 PM
I have found that rainsense seems to struggle with the amount of water on the windshield. There are times when it speeds up when a very small amount of water is hitting the windshield, while at other times the windshield is nearly completely covered with water and the view out is significantly altered before rainsense triggers the wipers to move. I am guessing it a simple optical sensor. I wonder if there is any fine tuning that could be done to make it more reliable.

Hello slepr,

If you would like to further discuss this issue please private message me with your contact information, VIN and current mileage. From there we can explore our options on how to address this issue.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

render1
05-05-13, 02:16 AM
This is from the manual:
" Rainsense™
For vehicles with Rainsense, a sensor near the top center of the windshield detects the amount of water on the windshield and
controls the frequency of the windshield wiper. Keep this area of the windshield clear of debris to allow for best system performance.
INT (Rainsense Wipe Sensitivity Control): Move the windshield wiper lever to INT. Turn thexINT band on the wiper lever to adjust the
sensitivity.
. Turn the band up for more sensitivity to moisture.. Turn the band down for less sensitivity to moisture.
. Move the windshield wiper lever out of the INT position to deactivate Rainsense."

Although this is a good explanation of how to adjust the Rainsense, it doesn't allow disabling Rainsense and using the simpler intermittent function.
Thanks anyway.

Hello render1,

I saw you interacted with another forum member on how to turn off the Rainsense but that you were wondering how to turn on the intermittent wipers. On page 5-4 of the owner's manual, it explains intermittent wipes and the lever and buttons to move for this setting. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

M5eater
05-06-13, 11:18 AM
With what I understand from the owner's manual, the wipers can be changed to just regular intermittent setting vice the rainsense option (page 5-45 in the manual, although I recognize that this might not be CUE specific).

I get my car later today, and I plan to change to the preference to simple intermittent, since I find the rain sensing wipers on my previous car (Mazda 6) are quite poor, exhibiting many of the characteristics you complain about; your post seems to indicate that the Cadillac set up may be no better.

TRW makes the rainsense optical sensors for GM vehicles as well as most Import vehicles(which is why when their contract expired the option was deleted for a model year). There are very minor software and hardware variations to accommodate different CAN-bus architectures and placement on the windshield, but generally, the rain sense in your 20K Mazda 3 (or 6 in your case) will work as well as it does in your 90K 7 series or S-class, if it's any consolation.

thebigjimsho
05-06-13, 02:31 PM
TRW makes the rainsense optical sensors for GM vehicles as well as most Import vehicles(which is why when their contract expired the option was deleted for a model year). There are very minor software and hardware variations to accommodate different CAN-bus architectures and placement on the windshield, but generally, the rain sense in your 20K Mazda 3 (or 6 in your case) will work as well as it does in your 90K 7 series or S-class, if it's any consolation.Who are you?

romanats
05-06-13, 03:36 PM
my car has rainsensor but dont have an option to turn it off on dic

M5eater
05-07-13, 08:31 AM
Who are you?

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a know it all!

Caddy Chris
05-07-13, 02:16 PM
Use the wiper lever to control it all. On/Off, intermitten. seriously it is not complicated.