: Thinking of buying a 04 CTS-V Need some advice!1

jeremy107
05-01-13, 10:05 PM
Hello everyone first of all this is my first post to the forum and thank you for allowing me to join! Hopefully I will be a regular user in the near future!! I am looking into getting a 04' CTS-V. Car has 117k miles on it and is in very good shape as far as looks inside and out. I am new to the Caddy scene and better yet the CTS-V scene. I always have wanted one and now that I have a one year old son I am looking for a four door so I can have the car seat as well. CTS-V is ideal for me only because I love to still have fun at let the big dog eat ever so often..

My questions are is there anything I need to be in the looks for when going to purchase the car? I know some cars there are some things you def need to make sure it is ok before putting a lot of money of down on one. It has a clean car fax by the way with three previous owners. Thanks everyone for the guidance and help!

H-town_V
05-01-13, 11:01 PM
It doesn't hurt to have some experience or knowledge of the first gen V's before you just buy one. If you follow these forums for about a month you'll get very well introduced to the cars pros and cons. Also it helps to test drive a couple of these cars so you have something to compare it to.

izcain
05-02-13, 12:39 AM
Welcome aboard!

There are many areas that should be addressed when looking at any V. A quick search down this page will tell you just about all of the areas.

If you want something that is fun, this is your car. If you want something that requires little maintenance this is not the car for that. With that said I love the V and have no quams swinging a wrench on it often!

philistine
05-02-13, 01:40 AM
When I first got mine, I drove it for a year without any mods. I put money in the suspension and stiffened the ride for my own benefit. The only upgrade that was truly needed outside of "modding" was the motor mounts and transmission mount. The previous owner replaced the motor mounts but I did the transmission mount and it was destroyed.

The drivetrain clunks but it was like that when I bought it and after 2 years...it's annoying but it hasn't gotten any worse. It's an expensive car to mod but the results are amazing! You will find yourself filling your shopping cart full of mod-bling as an enthusiast.

jeremy107
05-02-13, 08:38 AM
Thanks for all the quick replies!! I'm excited to join the V scene. I always thought this car was awesome. First car I've looked at with this many miles on it so just was a little concerned. It is in very nice shape inside and out. No mods so far it's completely stock. If I do get it I will be putting a exhaust in it and who knows what else haha. I will def want a mean sound to it, the rest there I s no telling what I will find and get!

So there is nothing in particular I need to look fr when getting the car? I am not a professional mechanic but I def know a lot. So getting hands dirty and doing easy repairs is more fun then a hassle! Thanks again!!

Andringa
05-02-13, 09:17 AM
There are things to look for, people are just suggesting that you search and read the forums for a while because it is all been discussed dozens of times. :)

That being said at 100k+ check:
Anything rubber, if its OEM it is probably loose or failed. (motor mounts, trans mount, driveshaft carrier bearing, diff pinion bushing, sway bar bushings)
Anything that moves. Check for excessive movement.
Anything that has fluid in it. Check fill level. Check condition of fluid. (Motor oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, power steering. Etc)

Your best bet is to find a local V owner and ask them to ride along with you. The V is just like any car, but a current V owner would be able to point abnormalities with the specific one you are looking at.

philistine
05-02-13, 11:40 AM
Search:
Revshift, CS rear-end kit, valve springs, Radco, AFR, wheel hop, clutch, ground control coil over, KW, PISSNUOFF shifter

jeremy107
05-02-13, 02:48 PM
There are things to look for, people are just suggesting that you search and read the forums for a while because it is all been discussed dozens of times. :)

That being said at 100k+ check:
Anything rubber, if its OEM it is probably loose or failed. (motor mounts, trans mount, driveshaft carrier bearing, diff pinion bushing, sway bar bushings)

Anything that moves. Check for excessive movement.
Anything that has fluid in it. Check fill level. Check condition of fluid. (Motor oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, power steering. Etc)

Your best bet is to find a local V owner and ask them to ride along with you. The V is just like any car, but a current V owner would be able to point abnormalities with the specific one you are looking at.

This answer is perfect!! Thank you so much I'm going to check it out tomorrow!

Andringa
05-02-13, 04:15 PM
Where are you located? Post up your location and see which forum members are near by... You'd be amazed how far a fellow V owning car guy would travel for a free lunch.

In general most of the things I posted about shouldn't scare you off from buying a car. They are just normal things that wear out as you drive the car. But at a 100k+ the condition of those things should be a major contributor to the price that you are willing to pay for it. i.e. similar cars with all original shocks/bushings/fluids should be worth less than a car that has been properly maintained and has all of those wear items already replaced.

I bought my 04V at 44k and now have 80k on it, and some stuff like the differential bushing was shot when I bought it and now needs to be replaced again. These cars really come alive when you are willing to put some effort into keeping everything tight. At 80k I'm pretty sure my shocks are basically toast, my swaybar bushings and endlinks are making noise, etc.

jeremy107
05-02-13, 05:27 PM
I'm in Spring Hill, TN near nashville. Would love to meet some V members just so I can learn as much as possible bout them

sgtdestruction
05-02-13, 09:28 PM
I'm in Spring Hill, TN near nashville. Would love to meet some V members just so I can learn as much as possible bout them

I am in Smyrna, TN, about 25 minutes from spring hill. Wouldn't mind going with you to check out the car if you want a fellow V owner to check it out.

jeremy107
05-02-13, 11:16 PM
I am in Smyrna, TN, about 25 minutes from spring hill. Wouldn't mind going with you to check out the car if you want a fellow V owner to check it out.

I'm actually going early in the a.m. Only because the military has me tied up for the next 14 days in a row! This one is in Clarksville so not to far of a drive about hour and 45 mins. It has 100k on it so different than the one I started the post about. I been reading non stop for a few days now and I have a idea in what things to look out for.

If only I had more time we could make it official and go together. I will be leaving at about 7am to make it there on time, look it over, and make the buy just in time to make it to fort Campbell by 1! Although, if I do or don't get it, I would still like to meet up with you and other fellow v owners!!

sgtdestruction
05-02-13, 11:25 PM
Glad to see another military member on here...former Marine myself. I sent you a PM. Hit me back when you have a chance and we can meet up with a few other V members around Nashville.

H-town_V
05-03-13, 02:14 AM
I'm actually going early in the a.m. Only because the military has me tied up for the next 14 days in a row! This one is in Clarksville so not to far of a drive about hour and 45 mins. It has 100k on it so different than the one I started the post about. I been reading non stop for a few days now and I have a idea in what things to look out for.

If only I had more time we could make it official and go together. I will be leaving at about 7am to make it there on time, look it over, and make the buy just in time to make it to fort Campbell by 1! Although, if I do or don't get it, I would still like to meet up with you and other fellow v owners!!

I hope it's a great car and congrats if you get it. Just go Into it being willing to walk away if it has any lil things that really worry you. I test drove 5 V's before I finally found one that had zero issues.

All these cars are gonna have a lil clunky-ness in the drivetrain just watch out for anything excessively clunky.

jcar302
05-03-13, 04:37 PM
While i haven't yet made a cts V purchase (yet), i've read this post and all it's links in it's entirety.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/177219-faq-how-diy-common-questions-look.html

I feel like i own one already because of it.
I put the bookmark on my tablet and i read through things as i watch tv.

About the only thing i don't know is how mileage affects the engine.
And as you probably know from shopping for a V, a car with 75k on it is $5000+ more than one with 100K+.
I've been trying to figure out if there is a reason for such a price discrepancy.

Because if a $15,000 is as good as a $20,000 car, i'll get the $15,000 v and drop a few grand into performance parts.

jeremy107
05-04-13, 09:40 AM
Test drove it and everything seemed pretty solid. Maybe a little roar at 60+ coming what seemed to be passenger rear area. Maybe a wheel bearing hub/assembly wore? Motor was strong and had plenty of pull shifting was smooth from what I can tell.

Only issue from what I can tell. 1) slight wear on suede on the middle bottom part of driver seat 2) small cig burn in headliner 3) in the back seat the top pillar panels had the little pins of clips missing holding it in place 4) small few scratches on rear bumper. Mainly needs a good cleaning on inside. The rest can easily fixed correct? Replacing headliner I've done one before how easy is the Vs? Radio rob easily replaced.

sgtdestruction
05-04-13, 09:55 AM
What is the asking price?

jeremy107
05-04-13, 10:16 AM
I found this one that has 102k on it. Only a few defects thr I can tell that I'm guessing I can fix. 1) the headliner has a small cig burn in it (I've replaced one before but not the headliner, anyone done one?) 2) small pins missing in the rear top pillar panels the clips that hold it into place are missing 3) the suede inserts in the middle bottom piece of the driver seat has some wear and the leather on driver seat has a little wear (anyone tips on replacing?)

Small scratch on the rear bumper. And one of the wheels the paint on the wheels has chipped off some. The car drivers good pulls hard. I mean the motor is built to handle some beating so that's not a huge concern. The 6 speed shifts smooth from what I could tell. And at 60+ a small roar comes from the passenger rear wheel thinking a its maybe a wheel bearing/hub assembly easy fix

jeremy107
05-04-13, 12:48 PM
What is the asking price? 15k buying price

H-town_V
05-04-13, 03:31 PM
Is it coming from a dealership? I would point out every lil issue and see if there willing to fix them or negotiate on the price.

I got my 05 V with 65k and I paid $17.5k
And it was in basically perfect condition.

sgtdestruction
05-04-13, 04:19 PM
Yea...I agree, I would see if they could take some $$$ off for the stuff you pointed out.

jeremy107
05-04-13, 05:30 PM
I wish I could find one with that many miles for that price! I haven't purchased it yet.. So I'm gonna see what he can do. It's a private owner. Also has headers, Borla full exhaust, and cold air intake.

H-town_V
05-04-13, 05:56 PM
I wish I could find one with that many miles for that price! I haven't purchased it yet.. So I'm gonna see what he can do. It's a private owner. Also has headers, Borla full exhaust, and cold air intake.

I searched for about two months before I finally found the right car. I test drove several V's that were priced higher yet had more issues.

Being that it's a private sell I would offer a lower number(maybe 13,500 and see how he reacts)

jeremy107
05-04-13, 06:54 PM
He said 14.5k was the best he could do, it does have several hundred $ for headers and I'm not sure the full Borla exhaust cost. Sounds great I love the sound. Mechanic records from clutch and flywheel replaced 1k miles ago also. Amsoil for oil changed the same time

sgtdestruction
05-04-13, 08:34 PM
Let me know if you have some time and we can cruise up to check it out.

jeremy107
05-05-13, 10:45 AM
Can you get a copy or burnt copy of the DVD Navigation CD? I found some on eBay but they are 150-290$

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-05-13, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone first of all this is my first post to the forum and thank you for allowing me to join! Hopefully I will be a regular user in the near future!! I am looking into getting a 04' CTS-V. Car has 117k miles on it and is in very good shape as far as looks inside and out. I am new to the Caddy scene and better yet the CTS-V scene. I always have wanted one and now that I have a one year old son I am looking for a four door so I can have the car seat as well. CTS-V is ideal for me only because I love to still have fun at let the big dog eat ever so often..

My questions are is there anything I need to be in the looks for when going to purchase the car? I know some cars there are some things you def need to make sure it is ok before putting a lot of money of down on one. It has a clean car fax by the way with three previous owners. Thanks everyone for the guidance and help!

Hello jeremy107,

Welcome to the forum! As you can see there are many members who love interacting with one another; there were already many post interactions with you and them! This forum is a great tool for getting advice. The V is an awesome way to go, especially if you like power! Please keep us updated on your vehicle purchase :)

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

sgtdestruction
05-05-13, 08:58 PM
Can you get a copy or burnt copy of the DVD Navigation CD? I found some on eBay but they are 150-290$

I don't use mine as my nav won't read the disk. You are welcome to try the disk, and if it works, yours for $50.

jeremy107
05-05-13, 09:02 PM
I don't use mine as my nav won't read the disk. You are welcome to try the disk, and if it works, yours for $50.

Roger that, pop it in and see if it works. If it does I will def grab that from you!

----------

Hello jeremy107,

Welcome to the forum! As you can see there are many members who love interacting with one another; there were already many post interactions with you and them! This forum is a great tool for getting advice. The V is an awesome way to go, especially if you like power! Please keep us updated on your vehicle purchase :)

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Thanks a lot for the welcome, yes this forum has some great members I can already tell with the help and tips I have already been told! Even better to have a few close by!

sgtdestruction
05-05-13, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=jeremy107;3304902]Roger that, pop it in and see if it works. If it does I will def grab that from you![COLOR="Silver"]

Thats what I am saying...my navigation won't read the disk. Took it in to get repaired, and was told they would have to ship the whole nav unit to NY to get fixed and it may take up to 30 days. I will take it in some other time...maybe next winter.

I have owned other cars with navigation, and never end up using it. So...the disk was good when I bought the car last year, so I can only assume it still is. It's yours for $50 if you want to test it out. Or anyone else for that matter. I can post a picture of it tomorrow.

cgroh89
05-05-13, 11:51 PM
Let me tell you I picked up my V last week and I love it. Bought it out of Memphis where I live and I was actually contemplating going to look at the one in Clarksville if it is the one I was thinking of. There is also one near Jackson TN that is magnacharged I went and looked at I bet you could get into for around 15k but it needs a harmonic Balancer and the bearings replaced on the magnacharger I am pretty sure.

Overd0s3
05-06-13, 01:40 AM
Hey man I am selling mine if you are intersted. It is a bit more than what you were looking to spend, however, it has all the right mods to looks, performance, and addresses most of the weakest links of the car (stronger diff, shifter, diff bushing, motor mounts)
Here is the ad:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-cts-vs-for-sale/p10303-2006-cts-v-black-2fblack-with-tasteful-modifications.html

One thing to keep in mind is when you look at buying a car with high miles you will surely pay less but make sure to do a full inspection and be wary of rubber parts- most if not all will be worn to dust by then if not replaced.

jeremy107
05-06-13, 11:16 AM
Let me tell you I picked up my V last week and I love it. Bought it out of Memphis where I live and I was actually contemplating going to look at the one in Clarksville if it is the one I was thinking of. There is also one near Jackson TN that is magnacharged I went and looked at I bet you could get into for around 15k but it needs a harmonic Balancer and the bearings replaced on the magnacharger I am pretty sure.

I didn't see that one in Jackson! What's the prices of the balancer and the bearing?

----------

[QUOTE=jeremy107;3304902]Roger that, pop it in and see if it works. If it does I will def grab that from you![COLOR="Silver"]

Thats what I am saying...my navigation won't read the disk. Took it in to get repaired, and was told they would have to ship the whole nav unit to NY to get fixed and it may take up to 30 days. I will take it in some other time...maybe next winter.

I have owned other cars with navigation, and never end up using it. So...the disk was good when I bought the car last year, so I can only assume it still is. It's yours for $50 if you want to test it out. Or anyone else for that matter. I can post a picture of it tomorrow.

You're close enough near by I could just drive and test it out to make sure it works and give you cash. If that's ok with you?

----------

Found the balancer new for 100$..not so sure bout the bearings replaced sounds kinda expensive

----------

I'm talking to the guy with the one in Jackson he says has some small scratches on it and from the dino sheet might be running a bit rich but that's all as he knows needs work. Did you go and test drive it and find out it needs those parts, or did he tell you that.

I'm not sure either to cancel this deal on the black one cause as of right now I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow, or go after this silver one in Jackson.

cgroh89
05-06-13, 02:50 PM
Not to sure, I never had heard a magnacharger in person so maybe it is just a loud unit however I wasnt about to buy the car and dig into it to find out it was normal.

I did go drive the car and it drove well for having coil overs and some other mods. No drone to it and didn't wheel hop at all when I got on it, (unlike the stock car I just bought doh!)

Wheels had some curbrash and the headlamps could use a restore but overall it was a good car for the money, (thinking 14-15k range which is what I offered him btw) Windows,sunroof worked shifted fine etc.

I saw the balancer when I looked at it, however my car I just bought had the same wobble in it so there might be a bit of play that is normal but reading on the fourms they are a common failure point so when I saw it on the one I purchased I chalked it up to something Ill be replace anyways.

The car did pull pretty good, needs a bit of cleaning up it just wasnt the car for me

jeremy107
05-06-13, 04:02 PM
Yea messing with those chargers can get expensive as he** so I think I will steer clear. If its been soured up that much then chances are its been drove pretty hard.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-06-13, 07:29 PM
Roger that, pop it in and see if it works. If it does I will def grab that from you!

----------

Thanks a lot for the welcome, yes this forum has some great members I can already tell with the help and tips I have already been told! Even better to have a few close by!

Yes, these forums are awesome! Glad you feel the same way Jeremy107. Good luck with purchasing your V and also meeting up with fellow V members to discuss the passion for them.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

JDB
05-06-13, 08:51 PM
Hello jeremy107,

Sincerely,

Laura M.

..."great to see you interacting with forum members, but please come get raped at your local dealer"...

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-06-13, 10:36 PM

Awesome to hear cgroh89! That is great you are loving your V :) After interacting on this forum thread I can tell everyone is thrilled with their V and love it. Enjoy driving it around.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

sgtdestruction
05-06-13, 11:40 PM
You're close enough near by I could just drive and test it out to make sure it works and give you cash. If that's ok with you?

Fine by me. I PM'd you my cell. Text when you want to stop by.

jeremy107
05-07-13, 08:16 AM
Fine by me. I PM'd you my cell. Text when you want to stop by.ok sounds perfect, I will shoot you a text and we can plan a day for me to come by! Plus you look over the V I got for any flaws you might think need to be looked at!! Thanks again!