: Lets see those aftermarket wheels

Dadillac
05-01-13, 08:51 PM
Cleaned up my wheels on Sunday. Took each wheel off of the car to clean them thoroughly. Faces look good but the barrels are trashed. Three out of the four have major chrome peel. The other one has the early stage. It won't be long before the peeling spreads and the faces get affected. I priced new wheels and they are out of my price range. So aftermarket is my only option. Keep in mind that I will not be changing anything until the peeling hits the face of the wheels. So hopefully that won't be for a very long time. I contemplated getting my wheels re-chromed but that will be almost as expensive as buying new ones and I will have to get a spare set of wheels and tires while that gets done. So that option is out. Not gonna be happy about aftermarkets but I am gonna have to live with it. Unless someone can point me to a set of 18" performance chromes that will go for less than $1k. So anyway to anyone who has aftermarket wheels lets see them. Definitely going to need some ideas on what will look good on the car

Don

RubirosaGGatsby
05-04-13, 09:04 PM
Craigslist will probably be your friend in this search. I found my set of wheels, discontinued MC2's from a Dodge Magnum in virtually flawless condition, on Craigslist... for $200. The key is patience. I was looking for about two months before I finally found the best bargain on what I was looking for.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u676/RubirosaGGatsby/IMG_5584_zps303021cb.jpg

Also, depending on where it's peeling, you may be able to get away (and look good/unique) with painting/powder-coating them.

Eninety2
05-05-13, 12:51 PM
Dodge has the same bolt pattern?

MoistCabbage
05-05-13, 12:58 PM
Yes. 5X115.

But... If buying used, after market rims. Make sure they're actually 5X115, and not 5X114.3. NOT "close enough".

big greg
05-05-13, 02:30 PM
Yes. 5X115.

But... If buying used, after market rims. Make sure they're actually 5X115, and not 5X114.3. NOT "close enough".

Why not? That's what my 22s are right now. I'm just curious to why you say no.

MoistCabbage
05-05-13, 03:01 PM
Because they're the wrong size.

114.3 is smaller than 115. When you bolt the rim on, all of the hardened (fairly brittle) studs are being bent inwards. The outer edges of the tapered lug seats are also being galled every time the lug nuts are turned.

ral1960
05-05-13, 04:27 PM
What exactly does the 115 measure? The diameter of the circle through the lug centers?

At least in photographs, I think the 06-09 Performance wheels are the best looking of any I've seen on a DTS, including my own, and I don't usually like chrome wheels. The simple design looks good with the clean lines of the car.

big greg
05-05-13, 05:44 PM
.7 mm I close enough for me. I think every shop around here does it. I use centric rings as well. And the lugs barely move .35 mm a piece. But technically they are wrong.

MoistCabbage
05-05-13, 06:07 PM
Good enough for you, does not make it ok or safe. If you're going to recommend installing ill fitting parts, with potentially damaging/dangerous results, on a public forum, include a disclaimer.

big greg
05-06-13, 12:23 AM
Everything I do has a disclaimer. Lol.