: Hennessey Performance

tom46818
05-01-13, 12:56 PM
I'm sending my 2013 CTS-V down to Hennessey Performance for there HPE700 performance upgrade. Looking forward to getting her home!

HUGN*RDS
05-01-13, 01:29 PM
I would most certainly be too, what timeframe do they give you for return after a build like that?

tom46818
05-01-13, 04:07 PM
Approximately three weeks is the turn around time currently.

I would most certainly be too, what timeframe do they give you for return after a build like that?

JayC'sV
05-01-13, 04:09 PM
Did you compare pricing with some of the other reputable shops here in Houston? I'm curious how it would compare.

RaVeNous
05-01-13, 08:04 PM
Make sure you take off the wheels, the hood, or anything else he can sell on EBAY prior to leaving the car......

Gary Wells
05-01-13, 08:14 PM
The HPE V700 installation does not come standard with wheel change nor hood change.
HPE would never do anything like that.
Do you have any substantiating proof that anything like that ever happened?

RaVeNous
05-01-13, 09:39 PM
The HPE V700 installation does not come standard with wheel change nor hood change.
HPE would never do anything like that.
Do you have any substantiating proof that anything like that ever happened?

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/638576-Has-anyone-had-any-problems-with-Hennessey-Performance

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f58/wow-john-hennessey-crook-yeah-viper-guy-34744/

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20020405/FREE/204050704

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=6&fID=455&tID=171

Much has been locked and removed from forums, probably because of sponsorships.....do some digging lots to read. Much I read about 6-8 years ago when I was driving a C5 and on the corvetteforums has been removed. I don't have any personal experience; however I read enough to know there are a lot of shops around that don't have similar...issues...with a simple google search. The question was asked, I'm just letting you know what I know.

qictrk
05-02-13, 12:38 AM
From my understanding he did make some mistakes several years ago with the Vipers. I believe in giving a person a second chance, and his record has been outstanding since his then. I too, plan to go with Hennessey next year
with another purchase I have planned. I like what he's doing right now. I had trouble with another company on my present car. So, they are all going to make mistakes from time to time. I certainly won't go back to the one I dealt
with. I do like the packages that Hennessey offers. Cecil..............

yaymitch
05-02-13, 02:58 AM
Is anyone familiar with Delta-V Technologies in Houston?

daowens
05-02-13, 10:36 AM
G-Force is where I would take mine if I lived in Houston. Great reviews from those guys!

Gary Wells
05-02-13, 03:39 PM
I know that HPE had some issues with the Viper crowd quite a while back.
However, I have met the Hennessey clan & talked to them @ several car shows.
Been to their shop in Lake Forest. There are several threads on this forum of
instances where they have backed their 12K mile / 12 month warranty with
integrity & class. I also am kicking around their V700 package.
The shop up here quoted me unofficially about 6 weeks.
I am also considering D3's competition package at about the same amount of $$$.

JayC'sV
05-03-13, 12:59 PM
Search for lawsuits against him in TX. You'll find many claims and some are still open. Chameleons don't change, only their colors and appearance do.

Anyone who's been around the scene more than this being their first car or longer than 5 years knows the history. I guarantee you there are shops in Houston that can do the same for less (GForce for one). It's your $ though.

baabootoo
05-03-13, 05:08 PM
I'm sending my 2013 CTS-V down to Hennessey Performance for there HPE700 performance upgrade. Looking forward to getting her home!

Congrats! Aren't you glad the "haters" had their chance too............ :)

HUGN*RDS
05-04-13, 10:20 AM
"once a rapist always a rapist" may not apply but if someone muffed up that bad, and if you read back had the balls to admit it, then I think the crowd is split 50/50. I personally, because of that reputation, would not take my V there. Besides the fact they are far away plays a significant role, who's to say that something like that 100% couldn't happen to my car? My initial post in this thread was without this knowledge. Thank you for advising me. If I were the OP and already planning it I would go through with it. He probably does many cars "on the list, those who didn't know like me" and it would be a slight chance only that yours would be, as I called it before, "muffed".

JayC'sV
05-04-13, 08:34 PM
Congrats! Aren't you glad the "haters" had their chance too............ :)

Not haters, experienced realists. :-)

RaVeNous
05-05-13, 12:09 AM
"once a rapist always a rapist" may not apply but if someone muffed up that bad, and if you read back had the balls to admit it, then I think the crowd is split 50/50. I personally, because of that reputation, would not take my V there. Besides the fact they are far away plays a significant role, who's to say that something like that 100% couldn't happen to my car? My initial post in this thread was without this knowledge. Thank you for advising me. If I were the OP and already planning it I would go through with it. He probably does many cars "on the list, those who didn't know like me" and it would be a slight chance only that yours would be, as I called it before, "muffed".

Wat?

Random84
05-05-13, 09:19 AM
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/638576-Has-anyone-had-any-problems-with-Hennessey-Performance

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f58/wow-john-hennessey-crook-yeah-viper-guy-34744/

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20020405/FREE/204050704

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=6&fID=455&tID=171

Much has been locked and removed from forums, probably because of sponsorships.....do some digging lots to read. Much I read about 6-8 years ago when I was driving a C5 and on the corvetteforums has been removed. I don't have any personal experience; however I read enough to know there are a lot of shops around that don't have similar...issues...with a simple google search. The question was asked, I'm just letting you know what I know.

+1

Even the automags (that seem to love them) have mentioned these issues previously.

Hennessey is under "new management," but from what I gather he's still involved and making money off the company - which on that premise alone would keep me away on principle.

IF you get your car back in a timely fashion with all of the original parts - please post here. :D As far as the "give people a second chance" crap... well, in reality he's been proven a thief more than once, so we're probably on chance 21 or 22 by now. But hey, it's your $70,000 gamble.

Might as well marry a junkie prostitute and trust that she'll stay clean (and faithful). IMHO - there are just too many other options to justify the drama.

justinschmidt1
05-06-13, 06:33 PM
You can probably get the same work done elsewhere for a fraction of the price....buy its your $

tom46818
05-06-13, 06:43 PM
I my humble opinion (remember this when you make your comments) any performance shop has had there issues. I am happy with my decision and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Prdnme
05-07-13, 09:03 AM
With Hennessey, "a fool and his money (car parts) are soon parted"

All I can say is, good luck! I hope you come out on top.

tom46818
05-08-13, 05:08 PM
You are allowed your opinion. I disagree with you!

With Hennessey, "a fool and his money (car parts) are soon parted"

All I can say is, good luck! I hope you come out on top.

Stillborn
05-09-13, 03:08 PM
tom has made up his mind to get bent over without a kiss first, or the courtesy of a reach-around. so be it,... so say the flock.

KlrV
05-09-13, 03:34 PM
I just can't see paying 20k for an 11.xx e.t. package and some vinyl stickers, but hey to each his own..

tom46818
05-10-13, 10:45 AM
I really do not understand this forum...I thought we were all car enthusiast?

CJCTSV
05-10-13, 11:07 AM

You are seriously confused... most of the performance ones are on owners :p

Hennessey has a bad rep for a reason. There are other better (in every respect) shops in Houston specifically, and many more around Texas, and even around the country who can do the same, if not better job for significantly less.

We are enthusiasts... we are trying to direct another enthusiast in the right direction. You, my friend, are likely headed in the wrong direction.

ptrd
05-10-13, 11:19 AM
^kind of like if someone said "you should buy enron stock" awhile back...if everyone says "probably shouldn't do it", maybe there's a reason...

tom46818
05-10-13, 12:47 PM
I understand and value your opinion. Yet, I have spoken with several people that have had Hennessey work on there cars with no issues at all and are very happy with the build (people that I personally know). Yes, I agree with you there were problems in the past with Hennessey and hopefully I will not have any issues with them. I respect other peoples opinion on varies matter, yet not everyone is right all the time. You may think what you like and I will do the same!

Random84
05-10-13, 12:58 PM

You don't understand "this forum" because we are not agreeing with you. Apparently, you started this thread only to be assauged and reassured on your choice - to the point where you're now defending the shop before even having any modifications done!

We are all enthusiasts. Which is why you have people going out of their way to give you advice (which you asked for) - even taking the time to do searches for you and providing the links to boot.

If we weren't enthusiasts, we wouldn't care about another Car Guy risking his ride and his cash on a shop with a widely known reputation within the performance community. Doesn't mean you're destined to failure - just that Hennessey is well-known for scamming his customers (some of whom may be dumb enough to not even realize it) and you're probably paying double for the opportunity to expose yourself to this risk.

Anyway, I honestly hope it all works out for you and that "New Management" is as dedicated to the company as you are.

tom46818
05-10-13, 05:20 PM
This was my original post

"I'm sending my 2013 CTS-V down to Hennessey Performance for there HPE700 performance upgrade. Looking forward to getting her home!"

Now tell me how I am asking for your advice?

I was trying to be nice about this when I said I understand and value your opinion.

Started this thread due to my excitement and not for your or anyone else's opinions. I am allowed to have my own opinion just like you are! Enough has been said on this topic.

Thank you!

You don't understand "this forum" because we are not agreeing with you. Apparently, you started this thread only to be assauged and reassured on your choice - to the point where you're now defending the shop before even having any modifications done!

We are all enthusiasts. Which is why you have people going out of their way to give you advice (which you asked for) - even taking the time to do searches for you and providing the links to boot.

If we weren't enthusiasts, we wouldn't care about another Car Guy risking his ride and his cash on a shop with a widely known reputation within the performance community. Doesn't mean you're destined to failure - just that Hennessey is well-known for scamming his customers (some of whom may be dumb enough to not even realize it) and you're probably paying double for the opportunity to expose yourself to this risk.

Anyway, I honestly hope it all works out for you and that "New Management" is as dedicated to the company as you are.

Random84
05-10-13, 05:47 PM
Oh, sorry - I just kind of assumed when people post shit on the internet, that they expect other anonymous strangers will chime in with opinions, feedback and nonspecific banter.

I did not realize that this thread had turned into a VIP event where only preferred members can post conciliating praises confirming what you already know: Hennessey is awesome, amazing, unparalleled and will triple the resale value of your formerly-mundane car with an adhesive sticker and name plate! Seriously, please post back when your car is returned on time, on budget, and with the appropriate amount of GM components under the body panels (I'm sure others would like the feedback). Just have the mods lock it down right after you post, so no hooligans can reply with silly unrelated fodder that would detract from your basking in the glow of awesomeness.

I admit, I was wrong: this was not a thread on advice so my apologies. The internet is serious f**king business, man!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/699/internet-serious-business.jpg
(This guy just signed up with Hennessey)

For example, in April 2001, according to a detailed Internet posting, one eager buyer sent his Dodge Viper GTS, with a check for $122,500, to Hennessey Motorsports in Houston. The check was for converting his stock Viper into a Hennessey Venom 800 Twin Turbo, and it was supposed to be delivered in 12 weeks. Later, the buyer sent an additional $20,000 to pay for a further horsepower boost to 1000. But the owner didn't get the car back in 12 weeks. In fact, some 10 months later, in February 2002, no work had been done on the car-and worse, according to the buyer, several parts had been removed from his stock Viper and sold off! This owner has since filed a lawsuit against Hennessey seeking the return of his car, his $142,500, and the usual "punitive damages."

Another customer with a long-overdue Venom says he went armed with a video camera to confront John Hennessey at his Houston shop. Hennessey reportedly had the customer arrested for making "terroristic threats."

There is, of course, no place in the world where talk is cheaper than on an Internet message board, and a few lurid posts hardly constitute proof of wrongdoing. So I went to the Web site of the Houston Better Business Bureau (www.bbbhou.org) and searched for Hennessey Motorsports. The BBB reported 12 complaints filed against Hennessey in the past 36 months, of which seven were in the past year. Of the 12 complaints, only one was listed as resolved. To put this performance in context, I ran checks with the local BBBs of every participant in our Supercar Challenge. Just one other complaint turned up, against AutoThority, and it was described as "resolved."

Then I went to Dun & Bradstreet, the financial research firm, where for $117 I purchased a comprehensive report on Hennessey Motorsports. For comparison, I also purchased a report on the well-known Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. The report indicated that LPE was financially sound, with no liens, lawsuits, or judgments pending against it. In contrast, the Hennessey report revealed that courts have four times ruled against the company and that there are 10 lawsuits currently in various stages and three liens. The D&B report also provided a "Financial Stress National Percentile" rating, measured on a 1-to-100 scale, with 100 being the best possible score. Hennessey's company had a rating of one. (LPE had a 79.)

this hearsay is from Car and Driver circa 2002 (which, is like forever in internet terms):
http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/supercars-can-bite-as-hard-as-they-can-run

KlrV
05-10-13, 10:05 PM
Lmao

CoppeR
05-10-13, 10:54 PM
So that means no one's bid on the $350,000 V he's got on eBay.....

RaVeNous
05-11-13, 02:26 AM
Is Hennessey the Benghazi of performance shops? What does it matter what happened a few years ago.

Stillborn
05-11-13, 03:23 AM
this guy (op) would still bang (unprotected) the girl you got herpes from knowing she gave you herpes. some people are just willfully ignorant.

mikespeed95
05-14-13, 10:35 AM

This summates my thoughts.

Instead of "Congrats on something you're happy about" It's a bunch of kids. Is this a 240sx forum full of unemployed children? In the context of this thread it seems plausible.

I challenge any of you to stop by our facility anytime and see if anything concerns you.. We hold several world records, build over 40 cars a month, have over TEN 1000+ horsepower builds underway right now and I've personally sold/delivered over 100 builds to my customer base since I started a little over 8 months ago.

I love the internet because it makes so much information readily available. I hate the internet because so many people take one snippet of information and try to paint a 22 year picture using 5 minutes worth of out-dated skewed info. C'mon guys.

Random84
05-14-13, 10:46 AM

Instead of "Congrats on something you're happy about" It's a bunch of kids. Is this a 240sx forum full of unemployed children? In the context of this thread it seems plausible.

I challenge any of you to stop by our facility anytime and see if anything concerns you.. We hold several world records, build over 40 cars a month, have over TEN 1000+ horsepower builds underway right now and I've personally sold/delivered over 100 builds to my customer base since I started a little over 8 months ago.

I love the internet because it makes so much information readily available. I hate the internet because so many people take one snippet of information and try to paint a 22 year picture using 5 minutes worth of out-dated skewed info. C'mon guys.

Congrats! I am happy that you are taking care of your customers, delivering what you promise and actively trying to re-establish your business. I realize there is no actual rebuttal in your post, but I understand this isn't the first time you've posted on the internet either. :D

Do you acknowledge (ie legitimize) the accusations of former customers from "a long time ago," or is that something that's avoided for whatever reason? In other words, I think it would be cool if there was an open, frank disclaimer about the errors of former management... and how the New and Improved company (with the same name) is now different. You know, putting the whole thing out in plain sight would - IMHO - help a lot of people understand why your company is different now, and whether or not the same guy is still making command decisions.

With that said, I don't believe anyone here has questioned Hennessey's competency.

thebigjimsho
05-14-13, 11:12 AM

Keep your nose to the grindstone and make the past the past.

But you can never erase the past and the consumer has EVERY RIGHT to scrutinize. This is a forum, these are opinions, those things happened. Deal with it.

cdog533
05-14-13, 01:49 PM
I don't have an opinion on Hennessey performance or their work....

However, I did witness when a user named John Hennessey (purported to be John himself) of Hennessey Performance participated in several threads over at the Jeep SRT8 Forum a few years back and threatened a lot of people with litigation. He ended up not being very nice and getting banned.

Here's some excerpts from his posts (as written by John):

I AM SURE THAT IS TRUE SINCE YOU DONT HAVE A JOB AND STAY AT HOME S**KING ON
MAMA'S T** WHEN YOU GET THIRSTY.

GET A JOB F**KTARD!

COMING FROM A PUNK WHO LIVES AT HOME AND TYPES ON HIS MOM'S COMPUTER IN BETWEEN
WATCHING RE-RUNS OF DR. PHIL AND SPONGE BOB, THAT MEANS A LOT COMING FROM YOU
MR. 03AZ-DOUCHE.......

when did you stop beating
your wife? when did you stop masturbating in the shower?

some questions
dont deserve answers. if you or anyone else does not want to do business with us
then thats your choice.

I refute all that BS. I refute the moderators and site owner/operator for
allowing harrassing and unsubstaniated bs with no first hand knowledge to be
posted on here. it is slanderous and libelous.

and we will hold any such person or business accountable for
stating or allowing this to happen or continue to happen.

John
Hennessey (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=267&type=2&ext=390580897203&item=390580897203)
Hennessey Performance Engineering

You can see all of his posts here: http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4882145 along with the threads. In some of those threads, people that posted negative thoughts on Hennessey claim they received PM's from him saying that they need to alter their posts or they will suffer legal action.

Again, I am not stating any of this is true. Maybe that wasn't even really John on there. You can read the posts yourself and be your own judge.

MikePeters@Hennessey
05-14-13, 02:22 PM
Yes, I'm familiar with how to make people look terrible using .000000001% of a story. Like most males my I age, I am indeed a heterosexual and I have indeed have had a girlfriend before that I dumped, they do the same thing. I think that's the closest true analogy to what I think when I see people digging up this crap, while somehow completely overlooking the 1000's of other cars that kept on getting built over those years with no issues during that time..

Every company has issues if you dig, John actually chose to directly engage those issues, and I have to be honest as a proud Texan, I can't really blame him for openly speaking his mind. A tad unprofessional and shocking by modern society's standards? Sure, but nothing wrong with a man stating his side of the story, and he's a really great guy to work with, and a total team player. But as we do down here in Texas, he will not hesitate to speak his mind.

I'm assuming everyone here is above talking about old news, and has enough critical thinking skills to see where we are today and go from there, but I've been surprised by my miscalculation of inernettiquette before where I just expected way too much out of an internet community. If you wanna talk about active topics I'd love to.

RaVeNous
05-14-13, 05:58 PM
I would imagine H Performance would like all of it to go away, just like a bad credit report after going bankrupt.....but the history is there. I was there directly when a lot of things went down.

I see nothing wrong with ensuring informed buyers. Buyer beware.

Why is the company still so…defensive? Why are posts such as that above ^^^^still finding their way into forums? Are there still pending litigation – I believe so, though in truth I cannot verify that, and don’t really feel the need to. Where is their new PR campaign? It makes you wonder. I myself prefer dealing with professionals, and professional conduct, regardless of the state they live in - pun intended.

It would be much more professional to state something like:

We are aware of unfortunate circumstances and misunderstandings in our companies past. We have tried to deal with these issues, to ensure satisfaction of former, current, and potential new customers. In some instances, for some customers, no amount of compensation, coordination, or cooperation would have satisfied the party which is an unfortunate, but certain part of customer service. Rest assured our company strives endlessly to improve our service to customers. We will continue to strive to offer the best performance upgrades for your late model vehicle at competitive prices, fast turnaround, exceptional quality, backed up by service after the sale second to none.

…but what do I know? (The above written example of proper customer services is the express property of myself)

I myself prefer dealing with professionals, and professional conduct, regardless of the state they live in - pun intended.

Random84
05-14-13, 06:41 PM
Yes, I'm familiar with how to make people look terrible using .000000001% of a story. Like most males my I age, I am indeed a heterosexual and I have indeed have had a girlfriend before that I dumped, they do the same thing.

So... this looks familiar.

I see people digging up this crap, while somehow completely overlooking the 1000's of other cars that kept on getting built over those years with no issues during that time..

That must be code for "this crap" is pretty damn close to the truth.

Every company has issues if you dig, John actually chose to directly engage those issues, and I have to be honest as a proud Texan, I can't really blame him for openly speaking his mind.

So that was John on the website, the allegations have teeth, and - again - no actual rebuttal here. Nice packaging, but it sounds like the above referenced situations continue to be accurate, John (and HPE) are unrepentant up and to this point.

A tad unprofessional and shocking by modern society's standards? Sure, but nothing wrong with a man stating his side of the story, and he's a really great guy to work with, and a total team player. But as we do down here in Texas, he will not hesitate to speak his mind.

"when did you stop beating your wife? when did you stop masturbating in the shower?" Yeah.. that's a tad unprofessional (and shocking) for a man stating his side of the story. He also comes off like a real team player in those quotes - with a strong focus on customer service!

I'm assuming everyone here is above talking about old news, and has enough critical thinking skills to see where we are today and go from there, but I've been surprised by my miscalculation of inernettiquette before where I just expected way too much out of an internet community. If you wanna talk about active topics I'd love to.

Another dismissal. No apologies, hem-hawing around the past behavior and talking about how HPE is now different? Just more justification of the past? Talking about old news in the context of theft, juvenile insults, lies and conning out other men of their money... well, most of us would consider that relevant to a man's character regardless of the timeframe - Right up there with a handshake and taking a man's word.

But you guys don't think that way down there `n Texas?

MikePeters@Hennessey
05-15-13, 01:59 PM
We build fast cars, we are not masters of internet PR. If you'd like a fast car built by a proven firm with over 22 years of successful operation, and over 5,000 cars built you call us. Simple. If you'd like internet/forum PR, then call a marketing firm, that is not what we do. We didn't get to where our cars keep the factory warranty in tact doing 700 horsepower builds with a 5 hour turnaround, and for that reason we are not for everyone. Glad to hear this thread is going to be back on topic and less full of people with misconstrued stories read 4th hand on the internet. Just like 'Obama is not a US Citizen' 'Bush blew up the twin-towers', 'the pentagon was hit by a missile' 'Aids isn't a real disease' the internet is full of wonderful information with no merit. We did fire an employee who was a shop manager in the early 2000's for not being able to manage or complete projects on time, and after his termination he called some customers and went to the press with his spun stories in an attempt to inflict harm to our business, he had partial success and it was all sorted out over a decade ago, and after being run out of the industry he works at a high school in North Houston. 10 years later we're building the World's fastest production car (Venom GT) and you can buy our products straight off of GM, Chrysler and Ford showrooms. Hard work pays off, and in the real world, real results speak much louder than the same bit-and-piece stories floating around on the good old internet. Any brick and mortar shop has dirt under the foundation, the merit that dirt has depends on whether or not you would like to use common sense. Am I going to ignore your questions above? Absolutely. I don't really discuss people telling me that Obama wasn't born here either. I don't like the guy but I have enough common sense to see past that, and it's not worth wasting my time to discuss things that are skewed beyond reality.

Again, come by here and see if you see anything like the internet portrays. You can even walk in our shop on Google Maps. (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hennessey+Performance,+9281+Interstate+10+F rontage+Road,+Sealy,+TX&hl=en&ll=29.749854,-96.283673&spn=0.000984,0.001864&sll=31.168934,-100.076842&sspn=15.853293,30.541992&oq=henne&t=h&hq=Hennessey+Performance,&hnear=9281+Interstate+10+Frontage+Rd,+Sealy,+Texas +77474&z=20&layer=c&cbll=29.749958,-96.283611&panoid=HZ6iA2tj1BuA-JQS_kczvQ&cbp=12,248.85,,0,0).

JimmyH
05-15-13, 02:07 PM
This thread is proof why most REAL car enthusiasts stay off of forums all together.

Hennessey screwed up a thousand years ago and are still paying the price for it. That's life. Deal with it Hennessey.

To the rest of you: some people believe in second chances (even Hennessey deserves one) and many people who have the money prefer to pay top dollar for a modded car that is reliable and comes with support. Deal with it.

Those of you who do your mods on the cheap get a car that performs like it's on the cheap. You can tell me I don't know what the **** I am talking about (many of you will; go ahead, I can take it and don't give half a crap what you think) but I have been to the track. I have been on these forums. I have seen the outcome of cars that are built on the cheap. There are endless stories of their failures all over this, and many other forums.

RaVeNous
05-15-13, 02:08 PM
Oh really so you have GM authorization to access and tune the PCM?

DCV
05-15-13, 02:27 PM
our cars keep the factory warranty in tact doing 700 horsepower

ummm, yea right. GM will still replace an engine that blows up on a 700 HP after-market modded car??? I'm thinking, no they won't. I'd like to see proof of that or the written agreement between GM and your company. I seriously doubt the GM bean counters and VP's would go for that. Lets ask Katie perhaps??

tinman
05-15-13, 03:24 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt as I don't have a V. I do pay attention to tuners. My $.02 is this: Hennessey will give you a quality tune. Personally, after watching him on TV with, I believe, Jay Leno, I was less than enthralled with him. He "borrowed" a customer's car and basically took it for a joy ride with Jay, laying rubber all over and generally driving it hard, way hard, without the owner's permission. This was recently on tv, and they even commented that it was a borrowed car. Not acceptable.

cdog533
05-15-13, 04:06 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt as I don't have a V. I do pay attention to tuners. My $.02 is this: Hennessey will give you a quality tune. Personally, after watching him on TV with, I believe, Jay Leno, I was less than enthralled with him. He "borrowed" a customer's car and basically took it for a joy ride with Jay, laying rubber all over and generally driving it hard, way hard, without the owner's permission. This was recently on tv, and they even commented that it was a borrowed car. Not acceptable.

Here's a link to that video: http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-jay-leno-test-drives-the-hennessey-cts-v-coupe-de-thrill/

tinman
05-15-13, 04:10 PM
Yep, dat's da one.

RippyPartsDept
05-15-13, 04:29 PM
how do you know that the owner didn't give their approval?

JimmyH
05-15-13, 04:29 PM
Oh really so you have GM authorization to access and tune the PCM?

ummm, yea right. GM will still replace an engine that blows up on a 700 HP after-market modded car??? I'm thinking, no they won't. I'd like to see proof of that or the written agreement between GM and your company. I seriously doubt the GM bean counters and VP's would go for that. Lets ask Katie perhaps??

You guys need to learn how to read.

"We didn't get to where our cars keep the factory warranty in tact doing 700 horsepower builds with a 5 hour turnaround, and for that reason we are not for everyone."

tinman
05-15-13, 05:00 PM
how do you know that the owner didn't give their approval?

Factually, I don't know since I wasn't privy to the behind the scenes. However, the way they joked about it led me to believe they didn't have permission. Easily construed to see it my way by watching the video.

DCV
05-15-13, 05:13 PM
You guys need to learn how to read.

I can read just fine as I have a Masters in EE and work on lots of very expensive things, that cost far more than any of your cars. Show something that proves you and GM Corporate are in agreement and that they will cover the GM warranty if it blows up. A simple PDF of such an agreement or an actual case when a car blew an engine with your mods, and GM gave them a whole new engine will suffice with GM knowing full well what the mods were and what happened. A simple request, no? I'm not argue about it, as I don't really care either way as I'll never buy your stuff. But its a bold statement to say it keeps the FULL GM warranty. I will send GM an email as ask them myself.....and post the answer i get back. If in fact they honor the original GM warranty with all that extra HP, why not do it themselves? Well because the bean counters figure out after talking to the engineers how often failures might happen, and how much it would cost to honor the warranty at any power level...so the bean counters tell the engineers to back it off some to save GM said expenses down the road. Why would GM be willing to pay for another company's mistake?

PetroCTS-V
05-15-13, 05:27 PM
On their website Hennessey shows a 3 year/36,000 mile limited warranty as part of their package.

Not sure if that means you can just role into a Caddy dealer when a problem occurs with no questions asked. Probably not.

shchow
05-15-13, 08:21 PM
Having no opinion concerning aftermarket modification and knowing nothing about the Hennessey history, I must say that the responses by the Hennessey guys in this thread were rather arrogant with a total lack of contrition.
It's human nature to be forgiving and give second chances, but to come on here and pretty much say if you don't believe how good we are, F you, essentially reinforced the already negative opinion some people had.
No one is saying to come on here begging forgiveness, but a simple sincere acknowledgement of past sins would have gone a long way.
I will say that after reading this thread and hearing what was presented, my opinion is that the Hennessey guys are full of themselves and it seems like they feel they are doing you a favor by modding your car.

RaVeNous
05-15-13, 10:36 PM
Having no opinion concerning aftermarket modification and knowing nothing about the Hennessey history, I must say that the responses by the Hennessey guys in this thread were rather arrogant with a total lack of contrition.
It's human nature to be forgiving and give second chances, but to come on here and pretty much say if you don't believe how good we are, F you, essentially reinforced the already negative opinion some people had.
No one is saying to come on here begging forgiveness, but a simple sincere acknowledgement of past sins would have gone a long way.
I will say that after reading this thread and hearing what was presented, my opinion is that the Hennessey guys are full of themselves and it seems like they feel they are doing you a favor by modding your car.

This^^^

John Hennessey
05-17-13, 11:06 AM
This kind of thread will come up from time to time and I have addressed these concerns in the past. And I am fine with addressing it again. And I do this to simply help clear up some things and am not expecting to get any business from forum members.

For a business to be successful over a long period of time, it takes a great product, creativity, good pr / marketing and solid, steady business management. For the first 10 years of my career in tuning cars I did the first 3-4 items very well. But at that time I did NOT surround myself with the staff and resources to make sure that we delivered in a timely manor. And it bit me hard in the 2000-2002 time frame. I was full of pride and made the big mistake of not taking care of customers. And I got spanked very hard for it. I re-grouped and made the decision that if I got a second chance that I would continue to do what I was good at but would surround myself with the best people who could make sure that our company delivered on every promise that I made. 10+ years later I am blessed to work with 30+ Hennessey team members who are dedicate themselves every day to build the best products and deliver the best service to our clients. Are we perfect, no. But if there is a problem, we take care of it. We run a real business and spend over $100k per year in insurance alone. If you send us your car it is fully insured up to $2m. Send your car to most other shops that do not have the resources to maintain garage keepers liability insurance and you are rolling the dice. I am not putting any other shops down, just giving you an example why our business has grown into one of the biggest and best in the industry.

Who on this forum has visited one of our facilities in Texas or CA? What did you see when you went there? How did our staff treat you? Most who want to comment about us have never met our staff, never visited our operations, never driven or owned one of our cars, etc. And that is OK and we dont expect to get everybody as a customer. But please give us a chance to show you that we run a great business and deliver great upgrades for the CTS-V.

That is about it and I am not going to play 20 questions about this and that over the past 22+ years of being in this business. When we do a media event such as Jay Leno, we usually bring the vehicles we own. If we bring a customer car, of course we get permission. If you want more about my story, download the Matt Farah The Smoking Tire podcast where I gave a lot more detail about the past. I think that will answer most questions about what happened 10+ years ago.

Thanks to the guys who are fair and open minded. Come and see us if you are ever near our shops in the Houston and SoCal areas. Thanks.

John Hennessey

thebigjimsho
05-17-13, 11:22 AM
Keep on keepin' on...

readyact
05-17-13, 12:51 PM
Well we've seen the work of Hennessey's "good" pr / marketing peeps within this thread...

Random84
05-17-13, 12:58 PM
Nicely put, John.

I would try to lead with that type of response in the future, versus what The Other Guy was typing earlier on in this thread. :D

Trapspeed
05-17-13, 01:27 PM
John, I don't know you and I've never met you but if you walk this talk you have my respect. Thank you for input from the man himself.

RaVeNous
05-17-13, 01:47 PM
^^^^^thanks John - but I think you should state that you want the business of forum members! I don't think the performance or quality of the work was in question - which honestly in this industry speaks louder than some delivery issues. This was one of the most thoughtful posts I have ever read authored by a H Performance representative, or you yourself, and no matter if I purchase anything in the furture from you or not, because of this, I probably won't feel the need to chime in on future threads when someone asks about your company.

In this respect, I think you should not look at responding here as a waste of your time, because it was not, and should not look at future posts as a waste of time, posting on future threads, in any forum.

Honesly John, I'm a nobody, and even if you are a somebody in the automotive performance industry, word of mouth is still important with the lighting speed of online information.

-P

JimmyH
05-17-13, 01:59 PM
I don't think he gives a crap about the business of forum members. Most reputable shops don't anymore. And I don't blame them one bit. Most so called forum enthusiasts are needy, whiny, and privileged. If you don't get everything for almost nothing, you won't think twice about coming on a forum like this and creating a rant about how you were taken advantage of, and the vendor you dealt with has no idea how to run a business.

RippyPartsDept
05-17-13, 02:01 PM
while i appreciate John's participation in this thread
and I agree that it was worthwhile (even though I kind of agree with Jimmy)
i'd rather see more posts about cts-v wagons breaking records at the texas mile on pump gas

... like this one (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-performance/243426-2011-cts-v-sport-wagon-texas.html)

Random84
05-17-13, 04:02 PM
Most so called forum enthusiasts are needy, whiny, and privileged. If you don't get everything for almost nothing, you won't think twice about coming on a forum like this and creating a rant about how you were taken advantage of, and the vendor you dealt with has no idea how to run a business.

Are you a forum enthusiast - or do you just moderate them? It amuses me to read your post, but I think there's some truth there regardless.

The problem with online communities (aside from Jimmy's point) is that these posts are saved literally for perpetuity like John's "Your mother" rants above from circa 2001 - which is a blessing and a curse: high quality responses can pay dividends even a decade later, but so can a thoughtless, trivial post from Hennessey (or any other forum member) be multi-quoted into history and linked to whenever necessary.

Anyone can likewise come off as needy, whiny, and privileged - in this case I think there's plenty to go around.

Let's face it, the days of glossy magazine spreads selling business are coming to an end. It's either word of mouth, or a Google search (which would turn up silly threads like these from various forums); thus it would be foolhardy for an industry player to ignore them or their membership for both reasons - a reputation can be very hard to change. So the value in heeding these and other forums can have long-term, layered effects and you want to foster a positive image, whether it's supplying a $250K car for a magazine's road test, having customer testimonials on your company sight, or by having a bunch of people say swell things about your work on some silly enthusiast website so the next time someone asks "is this a good company?" they'll mention your name.

It's like, why companies pay to be "supporting vendors" and shit.

RippyPartsDept
05-17-13, 04:49 PM
companies pay to be supporting vendors so that they can have access to sell their products to the membership and make profits in doing so

there is a risk (the downside plainly laid out before us in this thread) that is taken by these vendors

Jimmy's observation (or similar reasons) tends to be why this smaller/niche market is often passed over by many vendors
the risks just don't outweigh the potential rewards

that brings me to my point ... given the fact that the potential upside is limited there is a certain amount of respect (or appreciation) for vendors who are here
you know they're not only in it for the money because there's just not that much money to be had here
(yes there is some, but HPE for instance couldn't stay in business on Cadillacs alone)

granted, I'm a bit biased being a supporting vendor myself... but those that know me know i'm fairly impartial

John Hennessey
05-17-13, 07:50 PM
Thank you guys for the positive comments. And while we are a supporter of this forum and many other forums, I dont always get a chance to follow what is going on with various discussions, etc. Nor do I check my PM inboxes for the dozen or so forums that we sponsor. That being said, we do welcome the opportunity to serve any and all of you. But our business is probably different than most tuners who appear to depend on the internet and forums for new clients. We welcome any and all for the opportunity to serve you. We are not the least expensive, but we do offer a solid, proven product with a comprehensive warranty. Our clients come to us for a proven, turnkey product with the branding, resale value and customer support that our clients deserve. Thank you again for your kind words and consideration. And please let us know if we can help you. Our sales team is available at 979.885.1300. Have a great weekend.

John

Gary Wells
05-17-13, 10:59 PM
John:
I am a fourm member and i do plan on supporting your business.
I was at your Lake Forest facility yesterday talking to Don & William,
mainly Don about a V650 build-up to my currently bone stock '09 CTS-V.
I met you at your Lake Forest open house and talked to you and some of
your staff at CA facility. I know David Jette & Don from the Irvine Cars & Coffee
cruise. I am impressed with your staff that I have met for both their professional
& courteous responses & knowledgeable input. I will be down at the CA facility
week after next to have them do a few pulls on the dyno for a base line.
I have never seen your facility when it wasn't spotlessly clean and it is a very impressive
shop.

MReiland
05-18-13, 10:00 AM
Thank you guys for the positive comments. And while we are a supporter of this forum and many other forums, I dont always get a chance to follow what is going on with various discussions, etc. Nor do I check my PM inboxes for the dozen or so forums that we sponsor. That being said, we do welcome the opportunity to serve any and all of you. But our business is probably different than most tuners who appear to depend on the internet and forums for new clients. We welcome any and all for the opportunity to serve you. We are not the least expensive, but we do offer a solid, proven product with a comprehensive warranty. Our clients come to us for a proven, turnkey product with the branding, resale value and customer support that our clients deserve. Thank you again for your kind words and consideration. And please let us know if we can help you. Our sales team is available at 979.885.1300. Have a great weekend.

John Thanks for taking to time to personally respond and put in your comments. I have seen a few Hennessey V's and all seem to perform quite well.

HUGN*RDS
05-18-13, 12:06 PM
It's nice he took the time to respond, despite the trash talking. John sir you are a pioneer in the v8/v10 business and I am sure some of the members majorly appreciate your post, especially the OP and myself. Some vendors would probably ignore the banter, even at less brutal stages, but regardless of that you still posted. It changes my opinion I'll edit my first post and I hope to do [successful] business with you.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

tinman
05-18-13, 01:40 PM
I, too, appreciate John addressing concerns here.

odla
05-19-13, 02:23 AM
Yea that's the stuff we are looking for. Thanks John.

JimmyH
05-19-13, 11:27 PM
I used to be an enthusiast. I used to go to meets. I used to have a lot of fun with it. Then I started meeting "forum" enthusiasts. After I became a moderator I even tried to help some. It didn't end well. So I might come off as jaded and bitter. It has left me knowing exactly how guys like Hennessy feel. There are a lot of good people here. But it's a shame that they are such a minority. At least a good chunk of the *******s went elsewhere a while back.

thebigjimsho
05-20-13, 08:56 AM
You've met me. I'm a forum enthusiast. Ya g00b.

Gary Wells
05-20-13, 10:38 AM
You've met me. I'm a forum enthusiast. Ya g00b.

Probably trying to forget.

J/K

LuckyLou
09-09-13, 12:59 AM
I just had the 650 done on my 2012 V. Got it back a week ago, on time, as promised. All pieces and parts are there. So far, no complaints, no problems, car runs great.

MLMarty
09-09-13, 12:18 PM
Proud new owner of 2012 CTS V and new to forum... curious about performance gains with this mod? HP increase? 0-60 times?

Gary Wells
09-09-13, 01:27 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54734705425182/Hennessey-CTSV.pdf

GK0283
09-12-13, 02:32 PM
I just had the 650 done on my 2012 V. Got it back a week ago, on time, as promised. All pieces and parts are there. So far, no complaints, no problems, car runs great.

where did you have yours done? i'm planning on doing the 650 for my 12 V also, i'm guessing the Lake Forrest shop? can i get some details from you about how it went.

GK0283
09-13-13, 01:14 PM
Gary, i received your PM, i would give you a call about the install but right now i am currently deployed in Afghanistan so i really don't jump on the phone very much plus the time difference. sorry.

Trapspeed
09-13-13, 11:00 PM
am currently deployed in Afghanistan.

And a quick return, brother.

Gary Wells
09-14-13, 12:53 AM
Many thanks for your services, GKO283, God Bless & God Speed for a safe return for you and all that are deployed.

hansumtoad
09-14-13, 06:02 PM
Semper Fi, Marine. Godspeed your bingo.

36 yr squid here.

GK0283
09-15-13, 03:47 AM
thank you for the kind words everyone. Thanks for the info Gary, i am definitely going to keep doing research as well as visit multiple places when i get back home. Anyone have any other reputable shops in SOCAL that i could look into? I was also looking at D3 and i have seen a few posts in other forums with a few others.

Gary Wells
09-15-13, 11:43 AM
D3, Signal Hill, CA
CMS, Ryne Cunningman, Lake Elsinore, CA
RPM Motors, Santa Clarita, CA.
I think that D3 in Signal Hill might be your best bet.

GK0283
09-16-13, 05:06 AM
yea, i really wanted to go check out D3 before i left, i actually was a recruiter out there in Lakewood for 2 years and i never knew about D3. I'm probably going to go hit them up first. appreciate everyones help.

Random84
09-16-13, 10:53 AM
If RPM is the RPM I'm thinking of, they are very highly regarded in the Corvette World.

Gary Wells
09-16-13, 08:30 PM
If RPM is the RPM I'm thinking of, they are very highly regarded in the Corvette World.
There are a bunch of businesses named RPM Motors through the country, so I would verify that the RPM Motors that you are thinking of are the ones that you want.
There's 1 back on the right coast somewhere and the 1 that I mentioned is us around Magic mountain, CA somewhere.
I have never done any business with the other ones, but I have had work done by D3 in Signal Hill, CA and they are very quality conscience.

LuckyLou
03-15-14, 01:55 AM
Update I have had my Hennessey CTS-V 650 for about 6 months now. Running great. No problems. Very happy.
Punched it out between a GTR and another V a few weeks ago. Glad I had the traction on. GTR was pulling away so I hit it and the back end started to come around going into 2nd. Control pulled it back in. I'll start out in 2nd from now on.

----------

I took my 2012 V to Hennessey in Lake Forest back in August 2013. Very happy with the result. I had the 650 done because I live in Calif. and the
650 will pass pollution with air cleaner swap out.
No regrets!

Gary Wells
03-15-14, 10:46 AM
My '09 CTS-V with the HPE V700 package + further improvements by both D3 & Hennessey lays down 658 RWHP on a Dynojet on SAE correction factor & I never take off any of the granny controls. God Bless both the D3 & the Hennessey group.
'Nuff said.

Luna.
03-16-14, 08:59 PM
thank you for the kind words everyone. Thanks for the info Gary, i am definitely going to keep doing research as well as visit multiple places when i get back home. Anyone have any other reputable shops in SOCAL that i could look into? I was also looking at D3 and i have seen a few posts in other forums with a few others.

If you're willing to drive to O.C., you should seriously consider Speed Addicts Motorsports in Downey (9250 1/2 Hall Road, Downey, CA 90241--technically, it's L.A County, but it's very close to O.C.). Tom is a serious professional and has significant time working on CTS-Vs.