Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Navigation System Busted

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
After 5 long years of service for my wife I get my STS back. The navigation system (and radio) have been out for two years. Now that it is my daily driver I am looking to fix it or at least figure out how I can get the radio portion to work.

1. Any luck with Ebayed Nav systems? Do I need some sort of scanner to make it work on my car (get past the security system lock).
2. Any luck with a remanufactored unit? I have seen them for 1200 from places that sell the new units.
3. What typically goes on these units and can I just fix that part? (I am reasonably handy with electronics)
4. Is there an after market option I can jam in there instead that would be cheaper and still allow for the radio controls at least (I would accept losing the other features).

Any other suggestions?

#2 ·
What is in the car now? The OEM radio contains the feature programming/customization & seat setting routines. Once it's all set, you can remove it and they will all work but you will have to put it back in to change things.

It takes a dealer to match a Nav to your VIN, not just a Tech II. There's a thread with all the details, including the specific functions that prove most challenging to retrofit.

I'd recommend sticking with the same radio option as your car was from the factory and then just add your iPod.

#3 ·
I found a reasonablly priced used nav system from a STS. I will have the dealer recode it. The recoding is usually a straight forward job correct? No BS extras. I can just put the unit in and then drive it to them. Where they can recode it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.