: squeaky noise on steering wheel

icaddy
05-01-13, 08:34 AM
Recently my 05 escalade started to have a squeaky noise when turning the steering wheels. It seems from inside the car, not underneath the hood. I found a thread in the forum that someone recommend to use Super Lube. I tried it but still have the squeaky noise. Where should I check?
thanks

icaddy
05-02-13, 11:27 AM
bump up. any help please

Wysguy
05-14-13, 03:59 PM
I have a clicking/Squeeky on my '05 also looking for help

djais1801
05-15-13, 09:17 AM
I have a squeeky/rubbing sound that i actually feel on the steering wheel only when turning left...i flushed the system and added lucas additive and still have it...my tech lubed the shaft at the firewall and it dampened the sound..but it's back. if you find a solution...let a brother know!

the cadillac man
05-15-13, 01:43 PM
I have a squeeky/rubbing sound that i actually feel on the steering wheel only when turning left...i flushed the system and added lucas additive and still have it...my tech lubed the shaft at the firewall and it dampened the sound..but it's back. if you find a solution...let a brother know!

I'd say the shaft needs replacing (not sure)

Chip Potts
05-15-13, 02:40 PM
I have the same problem with my 2003 Escalade and my 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. Took the truck in when it was under warranty and the only solution the GM guys offered was was replacing the steering shaft assembly.

Wysguy
05-15-13, 04:26 PM
Not what i wanted to hear but figured that was the solution

djais1801
05-15-13, 09:13 PM
I have the same problem with my 2003 Escalade and my 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. Took the truck in when it was under warranty and the only solution the GM guys offered was was replacing the steering shaft assembly. did that take care of the issue?

dds1969
05-16-13, 08:35 AM
Hi guy. Sometimes a squeak/vibration can develop at the firewall boot. I'm not sure of the design on the GM's, but some synthetic lube can be applied where the steering shaft passes through the firewall boot. Oil/solvent based lubes may deteriorate the boot. Don't get excessive with the lube, as it will drip and collect dust/grime.

djais1801
05-16-13, 10:51 AM
Hi guy. Sometimes a squeak/vibration can develop at the firewall boot. I'm not sure of the design on the GM's, but some synthetic lube can be applied where the steering shaft passes through the firewall boot. Oil/solvent based lubes may deteriorate the boot. Don't get excessive with the lube, as it will drip and collect dust/grime. my caddy tech friend lubed at the firewall boot, didn't change anything

OneLuv1979
05-21-13, 04:23 PM
Wow I have the same issue on my 04 w/43k miles just a clunk..
I did some research and found the I Connecting Shaft is notorious for this.
Shocked this site was not all over it.

Its actually a pretty easy install...
Here are a few links to articles that might help...
I hope its ok to post other sites... Just figured they could help out.
The second link has step by step install w/pics.

I have only had my Escalade a week so I have not changed it yet but I do plan on it soon.
Dorman makes a replacement I can buy for around $55 on ebay and they claim it don't have the same issue.
Sounds like a 10-20min install tops

http://gmcowners.com/gmc-forum/showthread.php?t=16293

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/drivetrain/129_0806_gm_steering_column_repair/photo_01.html

icaddy
06-05-13, 12:58 PM
I lubricate the steering wheel and it seems the noise was gone. Here is a picture showing where I sprayed lubricant. I used Super Lube from Home Depot.

djais1801
06-05-13, 02:06 PM
I lubricate the steering wheel and it seems the noise was gone. Here is a picture showing where I sprayed lubricant. I used Super Lube from Home Depot.
did you remove steering wheel...or just spray lubricant into those crevaces?

grayparatrooper
06-05-13, 02:06 PM
I have a slight squeak as well but isn't tell if its from inside or outside.

icaddy
06-05-13, 03:30 PM
did you remove steering wheel...or just spray lubricant into those crevaces?

I just spray into those crevices.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-06-13, 08:18 PM
If anyone would like assistance in working with a dealership to see if they would be able to resolve the issue, please private message Laura or I. We would be more than happy to set up an appointment with a dealership and speak to them on your behalf. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

grayparatrooper
06-07-13, 11:44 PM
I sent a pm.

Silent_Assasin
06-09-13, 01:36 AM
Recently my 05 escalade started to have a squeaky noise when turning the steering wheels. It seems from inside the car, not underneath the hood. I found a thread in the forum that someone recommend to use Super Lube. I tried it but still have the squeaky noise. Where should I check?
thanks Have you tried lubing the boot on the steering shaft going into the dash/firewall? (above the pedals).... We have alot of dodge vans that come threw the shop with that problem! usually a little lithium grease will quite it down, never had that problem with the caddy though! Good luck!

djais1801
10-21-13, 11:30 AM
Have you tried lubing the boot on the steering shaft going into the dash/firewall? (above the pedals).... We have alot of dodge vans that come threw the shop with that problem! usually a little lithium grease will quite it down, never had that problem with the caddy though! Good luck!
are you talking from the firewall side or under the dash? Mine sounds like "Chewbaca" when turning left, only when warm..i am gonna try marv's mystery oil in the p/s reserve

the cadillac man
10-21-13, 03:03 PM
are you talking from the firewall side or under the dash? Mine sounds like "Chewbaca" when turning left, only when warm..i am gonna try marv's mystery oil in the p/s reserve
So I ain't the only one who hears the chewbaca holler noise at times
Let me know if the mystery oil works as I will try that if it does

icaddy
10-25-13, 05:58 PM

I think this was not correct. Sorry for any misleading. Days later I sprayed a lot of Super Lube under dash around the booth through firewall. The noise got much quieter but it's still there.

djais1801
11-19-13, 11:00 AM
I had my technician look at it...my "Chewbaca" noise is coming from up in the steering wheel somewhere. We're going to remove the steering wheel and lube up whatever we can...keep you posted!!