: I Guess Climate Change Got my Coupe

jghiller
05-01-13, 06:19 AM
Had to make a vet appointment Monday afternoon and my worst fears came true. A severe thunderstorm with hail came raining down on me.
I had never driven in hail so this was fun for sure. Kinda scary and painful to hear the hail hitting the car like rocks. You can imagine how my cat felt who doesnt travel well. There was no where to go to try and get out of the hail area or under something. I was traveling in my large gated community(speed limits of course didnt help but I couldnt see well so thats probably for the best). So I just tried to keep moving to get out of it and thought sitting still would probably be worse. What I have is now several impressions from the hits. This happened once before on my wifes car sitting in the driveway. No damage to paint but you can easily see the impressions and of course its all I will see now. Any one know if there is any treatment to remove the hail impression hits? Maybe heat or something like how dents are pulled out? Theres a few hits on the engine hood and a couple on the roof. All in all I was pretty lucky but it hurts having a 12 Coupe with less than 9000 miles to finally get its 'second' dings. First one was a runaway cart at the supermarket during a blustery day. Havent been able to clean that mark up so far.

OMG
05-01-13, 08:25 AM
A body shop will be able top take care of that. Reminds me of when I was driving home fro. College one year on the highway at 75MPH and it starts hailing like crazy. Me and a girl were shakin in our boots it was so loud afraid it would crack the plexan roof. it didn't the car was fiberglass too so no dents.

Oh and the first week I had the CTS it hailed too. =[

tinman
05-01-13, 09:52 AM
Call your insurance company and make a claim.

billeee
05-01-13, 10:48 AM
Sometimes hail will cause microscopic "pits" in the paint which show up as rust dots months later. If the car does not get repainted make sure you are covered for future paint problems in your claim agreement.

C "T" ess
05-01-13, 11:30 AM
If there is no paint damage, try letting the car sit in the sun for a day or two, most should pop out. Using heat is another thing to try but don't get too close or you will burn the heat. If your car is black your chances of success are much greater. If you let your insurance take care of it, they'll send you to a body shop who will do the same except you have to pay your comp deductible. You have nothing to lose by trying this method of repair first. Painting could be a nightmare especially if you have a three stage paint. It is almost impossible to get a paint match unless the whole car is painted and as an adjuster I can tell you we wouldn't pay to paint the vertical surfaces, only the damage horizontal surfaces.

gohawks63
05-01-13, 11:39 AM
Had to make a vet appointment Monday afternoon and my worst fears came true. A severe thunderstorm with hail came raining down on me.
I had never driven in hail so this was fun for sure. Kinda scary and painful to hear the hail hitting the car like rocks. You can imagine how my cat felt who doesnt travel well. There was no where to go to try and get out of the hail area or under something. I was traveling in my large gated community(speed limits of course didnt help but I couldnt see well so thats probably for the best). So I just tried to keep moving to get out of it and thought sitting still would probably be worse. What I have is now several impressions from the hits. This happened once before on my wifes car sitting in the driveway. No damage to paint but you can easily see the impressions and of course its all I will see now. Any one know if there is any treatment to remove the hail impression hits? Maybe heat or something like how dents are pulled out? Theres a few hits on the engine hood and a couple on the roof. All in all I was pretty lucky but it hurts having a 12 Coupe with less than 9000 miles to finally get its 'second' dings. First one was a runaway cart at the supermarket during a blustery day. Havent been able to clean that mark up so far.

I just went through the research on this as someone put a huge dent on the side of my car with their door. The clear coat was scuffed pretty badly and there was only one spot where the paint was scratched (very small). The color of my car is Black diamond and everyone I spoke too told me that if I can avoid painting the car I should as it would be next to impossible to get a smooth blend of the paint and would likely have to shoot the entire side of the car. It then becomes a major repair that may end up showing up on a CarFax report.

I work in IT for an insurance company so I was able to get access to a number of technicians we use. There are several methods that they use depending on where the dents are.

One is to try and use strong suction cups to get the dents out. Another is to get tools behind the panel, for example, if it's on your door they will try and get the tools in between the window and the door panel, like a slim Jim. The challenge comes in hard to reach places (like where mine was). Sometimes they will remove interior trim panels to access the dent from the back, and other times they have to drill a hole (like in a door jamb) to get the tools in there. Another method is that they glue these little things (look like suction cup darts) to the dent and use them to pull the dent out. Apparently they can then get all the glue off. I was told that this is a common method when trying to get dents out of the roof rails where drilling isn't an option.

Drilling is usually a last resort before painting for obvious reasons. In mine that's the route they had to go. My dent was on the driver's side rear quarter panel right where the panel meets the rear edge of the door. One option is to drill from the bottom, but then, even though they plug the hole and it's behind the body cladding, it may still get exposed to the elements. In mine we went a different route. My car is a coupe. That recess where you reach in to open your door... That is actually a piece of plastic. He removed that piece of plastic a drilled the hole there. Once he was finished he plugged up the hole. Given the recess and the cover it isn't susceptible to dripping water or road spray so it seemed like a good option.

I had to really work the scuffs with rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease, but i got it out. It looks almost perfect. When say almost I mean it's 99% better. Probably no one would ever see it, but if I look at it from an extreme angle under the right light, I can still see a little wave, almost like a little orange peel right at the location. When I point it out to people how I can still see it they look at me like I'm crazy and they say they can't see anything. What can I say, I know it's there, but I still felt like this was better than taking the chance shooting the car and having issues with the metal flake being uniform and matching up with the rest of the car.

I will say that if I had caught the person I probably would have gone to jail.

Call around. Talk to the car dealers, they usually use pretty good people. You would be surprised how many new cars they have to fix. Get different opinions and gauge how comfortable those folks are on whether they can get it out. You might be in the same boat as me that if they have to paint the entire car it might show up as a major repair on a Carfax report.

I can try and post pictures later.

Good luck!

I paid $125 for the one panel. I was told that painting the entire side of the car would have been close to $4K.

tinman
05-01-13, 11:51 AM
Good post, GoHawks. After reading it I might make a couple of suggestions For What It's Worth...Maybe add some silicone caulk under the "cap" used to cover the hole. Just a little extra protection against moisture getting in through that cap (I have never seen these caps, so I don't know the quality of seal it provides). Ask around at car shows who has the best body shops in town. These guys should help you form an opinion. Ask at high end car shows (Cars and Coffee) and Classic shows.

gohawks63
05-01-13, 11:54 AM
Good post, GoHawks. After reading it I might make a couple of suggestions For What It's Worth...Maybe add some silicone caulk under the "cap" used to cover the hole. Just a little extra protection against moisture getting in through that cap (I have never seen these caps, so I don't know the quality of seal it provides). Ask around at car shows who has the best body shops in town. These guys should help you form an opinion. Ask at high end car shows (Cars and Coffee) and Classic shows.

I did that too (sealing).

I live in Southeast Michigan near the automotives and there were a ton of guys who claimed to work on show cars and exotics.

tinman
05-01-13, 11:56 AM
As a former Toledo boy and Red Wings and Tigers season ticket holder I understand the connections. Do they have car shows in that area???? :yup:

gohawks63
05-01-13, 11:58 AM
As a former Toledo boy and Red Wings and Tigers season ticket holder I understand the connections. Do they have car shows in that area???? :yup:

Tough loss last night for the Wings, but my Blackhawks won!

tinman
05-01-13, 12:01 PM
3 power play goals and an empty netter.

gohawks63
05-01-13, 01:12 PM
I uploaded pictures I took with my iPhone up to an album.

Keep in mind that the BEFORE pictures looked much worse. Initially there was a lot of paint transfer and the scuffs were worse. I got most of it out initially, but figured I would wait until after the dent was repaired. Once repaired I worked on the remaining scuff marks.

Also the before pictures were taken outside as I was sending them to one of the technicians I had talked to. The AFTER pictures were taken in my garage after I had buffed out the remaining scuffs.

Hope this helps.

http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/CextChN7iQC

Lac_Boy
05-02-13, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear that jg. It could've been worse. Mine was hit in a parking lot by one of my co-workers (who happened to be an uninsured motorist) in a big ass Dodge Ram truck.Total repair bill was $3300. I was PISSED so I definitely feel your pain. My thunder gray paint was a little hard for them to match. They did an excellent job on it and the average person wouldn't even notice the difference, but every time I look at my car, that's the first thing I notice. Especially on a sunny day. I haven't had any experiences with hail damage though so I can't offer any advice to you on that. Hope everything works out for you.

KeYz
05-02-13, 02:41 AM
Sorry to hear that jg. It could've been worse. Mine was hit in a parking lot by one of my co-workers (who happened to be an uninsured motorist) in a big ass Dodge Ram truck.Total repair bill was $3300. I was PISSED so I definitely feel your pain. My thunder gray paint was a little hard for them to match. They did an excellent job on it and the average person wouldn't even notice the difference, but every time I look at my car, that's the first thing I notice. Especially on a sunny day. I haven't had any experiences with hail damage though so I can't offer any advice to you on that. Hope everything works out for you.

wow, how much did your insurance cover ?

jghiller
05-02-13, 07:19 AM
Will check with insurance company. Thanks for the idea.

Lac_Boy
05-02-13, 11:35 AM
wow, how much did your insurance cover ?

I only paid my $250 deductible. They paid the rest.

Tbbt
05-02-13, 11:42 AM
JGhiller,

Don't forget to mention that the storm blew a shopping cart into your car too.

Marv

cadsmeow6
05-03-13, 11:57 AM
I would check out Paintless Dent Repair first. Hail damage typically does not chip the surface and can be repaired without repainting. Had hail damage on my work van, around 600 or so. PDR repair was 2 days, no dents remain.

PearlWhiteCTS
05-03-13, 03:52 PM
JG,

Try a company called Dent Wizard. They specialize in paintless dent repair and have over 1400 franchises around the country. (Not sure where you live). They have done a great job for me on door dings in the past and their web page states that they also do hail damage. Hopefully there is a franchise close to where you live.

gohawks63
05-03-13, 04:28 PM
JG,

Try a company called Dent Wizard. They specialize in paintless dent repair and have over 1400 franchises around the country. (Not sure where you live). They have done a great job for me on door dings in the past and their web page states that they also do hail damage. Hopefully there is a franchise close to where you live.

I would still ask questions about the type of work they do. Sometimes people buy a video, go to a few classes and think they are qualified to do PDR. Word of mouth and recommendations of a specific shop are who I would entrust my car.

jghiller
05-04-13, 06:42 AM
Going thru insurance and will get estimate Monday but will also confirm process and expectations.

next2pool
05-04-13, 11:45 AM
Will check with insurance company. Thanks for the idea.

I have used "paintless dent repair" for hail damage with absolutely amazing results. You will find them in every major city. They do well on door dings and hail. Evn if the paint has minor scuffing, that can be polished out after the dent is removed.

rchern
05-05-13, 10:47 PM
I've had those dent remover people fix my car a couple of times and they're great. I didn't have hailstone damage though, just dings. Ask your dealership or a detailing shop who they use and if they fix hail damage. If they're in your area they're familiar with hail and they'll tell you right away if they can fix it or not.

jghiller
05-06-13, 04:11 PM
Got the estimate on work - about $2K. All being done with the process that pulls out the dings. So hopefully no paint or other issues.

CTSCHICK
05-06-13, 04:29 PM
I have used the Dent Wizards here in Jersey if they cant pull the dent properly then it is free.
Certain types of dents wont pull out properly because the metal actually deforms but some times they won't know until they attempt it
I had them do 2 dents in my drivers side door from a plastic shop rite cart came out great another debry dent they couldnt get out without the surface showing a slight deformation so no charge that time

C "T" ess
05-06-13, 05:18 PM
Good luck with the results from using the dent puller. I have one and it never gets the dent out with out leaving a mark. I had a dent on my car when I got it. It was on the roof but instead of the normal dent is from the inside out. The dealer had PDR come out and you can't see a thing. I hope you are happy with your finished product, it has to hurt every time you look at the car.

jghiller
05-14-13, 10:26 PM
Picked up my car last Friday from autobody and all was fine. Paid the deductible and I was good to go - see I95 closure saga post.