: Car no start :( - thinking bad starter

Faber
04-30-13, 10:31 PM
pushing clutch, turn ignition - only a single click then nothing. Full power, battery seems good and is less than 1 yr old. Able to bump start her and get her home, but figuring it's likely my starter. Getting ready to crawl underneath there and see if the connector is fried like everyone in all the posts have mentioned before. Wondering if there is anything else to do before dumping efforts into doing this.

Seems straightforward enough - remove right Cat (easy to do since exhaust is <1 yr old) then a few bolts and out it comes. Wondering if darkman would be able to post up the pdf.

darkman
04-30-13, 11:10 PM
I would have the battery checked thoroughly before I went too far in another direction. The age of the battery does not mean it is okay.

See attached.

odla
04-30-13, 11:33 PM
Clutch sensor?

Faber
05-01-13, 09:22 AM
Thanks Darkman.

I'm taking a half day today to play with it and narrow in those .pdfs will work nicely.

PISNUOFF
05-01-13, 10:40 AM
I'm betting its the connection at the starter. Most likely burned up and/or corroded.

Faber
05-01-13, 01:23 PM
Can't imagine it's the clutch sensor as I'm getting a single "click" when I attempt to turn the car on. If I don't push the clutch in, I get no click. Given the only change is pushing in the clutch, I'm not thinking that is an issue. Time to go under the car.

Pisnuoff - that's my thoughts too given everything I've seen - I'm hoping it's just disconnected, but that's as thin a hope as those ghetto girls were fat at the meet...

253ctsv
05-01-13, 02:12 PM
I'm betting its the connection at the starter. Most likely burned up and/or corroded.

I had this problem at 50k miles. Seems to be inevitable. That's what my money is on. If you can get under the car it will be easy to see. With mine sometimes it would start and somtimesnot

Faber
05-01-13, 02:39 PM
Seems that this is my issue. The little plug piece behind it seems fine. No degredation of the female end, still attached tightly. Is that item in the foreground just the cable to the battery?

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t486/mfaber1/Starter/DSC_0057_zps968fcc2d.jpg (http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/mfaber1/media/Starter/DSC_0057_zps968fcc2d.jpg.html)

----------

undid the battery cable and messed with the connector & the clip portion broke - definitely brittle. still curious if the battery wire needs replaced/could be causing the issues.

Skidmarcx
05-01-13, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a starter, but without testing with a DMM you'll be guessing

Faber
05-01-13, 03:13 PM
yep- new starter needed - unplugging it the female end exploded.

Any thoughts on the battery cable - how the insulation seems to be off of it? Can I just wrap it - seems like that cable is tied in to a bunch of other stuffs.

Faber
05-02-13, 09:17 AM
all the opinions on this site & no one weighing in on the battery cable...

darkman
05-02-13, 10:55 AM

I am not sure exactly what the question is, but if the cable is corroded I would replace it.

See Attached.

I also like the DEI starter wrap, often available at local parts houses: http://www.jegs.com/i/DEI/186/010402/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710670179&catargetid=1784163123&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPbBqrvJ97YCFeo7OgodEBQAVQ
or http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Exhaust/Section/Heat-Protection/Part-Type/Starter-Heat-Shield-Wraps/Heat-Shield-Wrap-Length-in/24-in/Brand/Design-Engineering-DEI/?Ns=

Faber
05-02-13, 01:38 PM
Hopefully it not being obvious means it's not an issue :bouncy: It is the positive battery cable in the red circle below. Looks like the end of it has/had insulation on it, but that it is "melting" off exposing the inside of the cable & the insulation is now a nub to the side - originally thought it was two wires but then realized not. No corrosion/issues, just internals of it being exposed. I'm guessing since the end is exposed (where it attaches to the starter) this may not be an issue. Doing searches for starters I saw many that were in worse shape and no one screamed bloody murder, but just wasn't certain.

Definitely planning to do the starter wrap for the new one.

cmiller
05-02-13, 02:42 PM
just wanted to share my thoughts with you as I just replaced my starter this last week. I was able to get the old starter out and new starter in with the front end up on jack stands and then loosen the bottom nut on the passenger side motor mount. Jack up the engine about 3/4" or so and should give you plenty of clearance. I have stock exhaust and stock motor mounts.

philistine
05-02-13, 02:56 PM

If there is corrosion on the wire then it is not going to get any better. If there are no broken or frayed wires exposed then i wouldn't worry about it. It's not a big task to replace it, just put the same AWG wire and wrap in fire retardant flex loom or equivalent. I have used Raychem 3:1 waterproof shrink tube in some areas under the chassis when replacing corroded wire.

Faber
05-02-13, 05:03 PM
Thanks cmiller - I'm likely going to go that route though f'ing up my Cats and having to get replacement upgrades sounds tempting...

philistine - there is no corrosion on the wire that I can see. Doesn't appear to be any frayed or broken, but just that the insulation is "melting" off of the end (see pic above).

Faber
05-09-13, 10:30 PM
Well, the motor mount tip did not work, likely due to operator issue. Undid the one bolt underneath but it did not seem to budge. Figure there is another bolt that I was missing. Why the hell they didn't make the starter 1/2" shorter I'll never know. Was able to pull the cats off pretty easily. Only bad thing that happened was one of the downstream studs on the cat - snapped off. Can I replace that? There is a bolt at the bottom of it- can I use that to unscrew it?

darkman
05-09-13, 10:41 PM
I was able to replace the upper studs that screw into the exhaust manifold with some Dorman studs which are sold at most auto parts stores. I would bet that the downstream studs are the same.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=exhaust+stud&year=2005&make=Cadillac&model=CTS&vi=1432727&page=2&sortBy=1&results=All

Faber
05-10-13, 08:49 AM
Thanks Darkman. Given your contributions, I hope that the forum doesn't charge you to be a member and that at any V meets you never have to buy beer...