: Help! No keys for inherited 74 Fleetwood Brougham

gold01ca
04-30-13, 09:29 PM
Hi,
I just inherited the 74 Fleetwood, relative passed away.
Can't find keys and local GM dealer no help at all, says old Caddy key codes not available?
Local locksmith needs code to cut new key.
Any ideas?

Thank you!

talismandave
05-01-13, 03:20 AM
If you know who bought it originally and what dealer sold it they would have it in their paper file if it still exists. If you can get someone to hunt for it!

gold01ca
05-01-13, 07:17 AM
I'm in Canada and the car originates from Seattle area, no idea who original owner or dealer was.

carnut
05-01-13, 07:06 PM
The ignition key only operated the ignition key switch. Buy a new key switch with key thru E Bay and swap it out. The glove box lock can be picked by a lock smith which will give you the door key.

gold01ca
05-01-13, 09:46 PM
How difficult is it to change out ignition key switch?
I do see them new/available on Ebay.

carnut
05-02-13, 02:14 PM
Need steering wheel puller, snap ring pliers and experience. Service manual as well!

gold01ca
05-04-13, 09:27 AM
Found the keys!!
High excitement now!
Also discovered the car is actually a Talisman.
Thanks to all who offered advice and encouragement.

creeker
05-04-13, 02:39 PM
Send some pics. if you can.

gold01ca
05-04-13, 07:10 PM
Will post pics as soon as I can.
Car is in a small, collapsing shed (barely fits) and 4 hours away.
Trying to line up a tow company next and bring her home.

cadillac kevin
05-05-13, 01:10 AM
Oooh.....Talisman Dave's gonna be happy that his talisman has a companion on the forum!

talismandave
05-06-13, 01:48 AM
....did I hear someone say Talisman?!!!:excited:

Goodie...a Talisman bro!:cheers:

Can't wait to see the pictures! We will get along great, as long as your doesn't have the tan interior that I have been lusting after recently!:worship:
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/temp/tantal4_zps7d5d4e35.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/davidpraedel/media/temp/tantal4_zps7d5d4e35.jpg.html)
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/temp/74talismaninteriortan_zpsfb4e030a.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/davidpraedel/media/temp/74talismaninteriortan_zpsfb4e030a.jpg.html)

gold01ca
05-06-13, 07:42 AM
Car has the dark blue interior and exterior is a light, metallic blue.
Last ran in 2002, then parked in tiny shed which is collapsing onto car.
Should be a fun job yanking it out of there!
Then a 4 hour tow which will probably cost a fortune.
But all said, can't wait to get her home!
I'll need Talisman Dave on speed dial for help and advice.

talismandave
05-06-13, 09:28 AM
Sounds like the same way mine was originally. Mine was built with a dk blue top over light blue metallic. Not decided how it will be rebuilt? Probably all white if I decide to paint it myself. If I can't get the crappy dk blue paint job off the inner bits (door jams etc.) I am looking at a complete color change even to go back to the original color.

1973_Eldorado
05-19-13, 01:03 PM
Glad you located your original keys.

For future reference, if you ever inherit another Cadillac sans keys, this is what I was able to do with a '70 deVille I bought once that had no keys:

Gently remove passenger door panel with window in up position. (With a little patience, a service manual is not needed for this operation). Remove clip from passenger door lock cylinder. Take cylinder to local locksmith who will make keys for generally less than $30.

This eliminates the obnoxious problem of having different keys for everything, or an ignition key but no door keys, etc. The trunk lock can be handled the same way. Keep all of your original locks, and no need to disassemble steering column, etc.

If you ask, some locksmiths have real GM key blanks, or they can be had on ebay fairly inexpensively, and made to fit your car from your locksmith's copies, or directly from the code on the lock.

gold01ca
05-21-13, 05:11 PM
Thanks for that 1973_ Eldo, fortunately keys are in hand.
Going to bring it home Friday, towing company in place.

jamespowers
05-24-13, 10:14 PM
Thanks for that 1973_ Eldo, fortunately keys are in hand.
Going to bring it home Friday, towing company in place.

Ok it is Friday. Pictures? :p

talismandave
05-25-13, 01:53 AM
I am anxious too. Have to see pictures before I decide how much I have to hate gold01ca!

I am hoping its a real pile, he seems like a nice guy....I don't want to hate him much.:lol:

gold01ca
05-25-13, 09:35 AM
Got the car home!
To my disappointment, there's more rust in it than I was hoping/expecting:(
But the car is complete and unmolested, save for the crappy grey paint job.
TalismanDave: I think it may qualify as "a pile", we can still be friends? lol

I'll go out and grab some pics shortly, stay tuned!

Glen

gold01ca
05-25-13, 01:59 PM
Send it to the crusher??110129110137110145110153110161110169

gold01ca
05-25-13, 02:05 PM

amunderdog
05-25-13, 02:21 PM
She is going to be real purty after you put some shinola on it :)
P.S
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/classic-cadillac-forum/110137d1369501076-help-no-keys-inherited-74-fleetwood-dscn0980.jpg
Put some oil on them hood hinges before something terrible happens

gold01ca
05-25-13, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the tip, amunderdog, I lubed those hood hinges.
Completing the initial "shinola".
Real crappy, backyard, orange peel paint job. Darn shame.

jamespowers
05-25-13, 09:20 PM

Well, unless you plan on dumping some serious money on paint, you can make do with some elbow grease, polishing compound and some wax for the time being. I am sure it will look fine in the mean time. Mine does. :p

talismandave
05-27-13, 03:28 AM
Got the car home!
To my disappointment, there's more rust in it than I was hoping/expecting:(
But the car is complete and unmolested, save for the crappy grey paint job.
TalismanDave: I think it may qualify as "a pile", we can still be friends? :lol: Glen

Well...upon reviewing the photos below I will have to hate you just a little bit. It is in quite a bit better than the one I spent about $1700 to buy and ship to me! The good news is it needs enough work that I can sympathize with you while I hate you a little bit so we should still be friends.:duck:

Send it to the crusher??110129110137110145110153110161110169

...don't even joke about that!:bighead: I have seen two better than mine go to the crusher since I got mine. How many I didn't see? I hate to think. :nono: If you get sick of it, I will start checking on shipping cost to Madison!:lol:

You might even try wet sanding it, most crappy backyard paintjobs are pretty thick.:noidea:

Anyway she looks beautiful to me and will only get better with a little TLC. :cloud9:

gold01ca
05-27-13, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Dave.
Paint is so bad to the point it flakes off in spots under garden hose pressure only.
Lots of rust spots, bubbles and evidence of previous bondo jobs (rear quarters).

After 10 years sitting, it fired right up on 2 tries and with a can of starting fluid, even with a quarter tank old gas.
Exhaust, including Y pipe all rotted, alternator 0 output, etc. etc.
BUT, I am having a blast with this big old boat!

Where you at on your car Dave?

talismandave
05-28-13, 02:04 AM
Nowhere...:lol:

That must be my cars twin! When I got it had a bad backyard job on it. I used a pressure washer to strip about 85% of the paint off. Also took off a thick skim coat of filler/glaze that was put on it for as far as I can tell, no reason.

Still in it's parking spot in my underground parking. Needs PS hoses replaced to get it out. Then need to sort out electrical system to find short/shorts/low charge. I hate electric-hell problems!