: Auto window malfunction

RGaret
04-30-13, 09:15 PM
My front passenger window just started misbehaving. It will go up and down, but not automatically. I have reset it and it seems to work OK after the procedure, but a day or two later and the problem comes back. Any thoughts on what this could be? Going to the dealer anyway next week but I just thought I would ask.

Thanks

Trapspeed
04-30-13, 10:55 PM
Maybe a bad module or something simple. Computers and their components are wonderful.

FLTRI
05-01-13, 02:45 PM
There's a programing feature for them in them in the manual. Maybe that's what you did when you reset it? Mine quit working once, I did the programing deal and it's worked perfect since...

Xaqtly
05-01-13, 03:49 PM
It could also be a bad regulator, my front passenger side regulator went too. Replaced under warranty, perfect since then.

sybersport
05-01-13, 05:36 PM
I had the same problem on my passenger side window... of course it got stuck all the way down, rather than up! They replaced the regulator and it has been fine ever since.

RGaret
05-01-13, 08:23 PM
I had the same problem on my passenger side window... of course it got stuck all the way down, rather than up! They replaced the regulator and it has been fine ever since.

I hope it isn't the regulator. That's a big job. It does work perfectly fine other than not auto up or down. Hoping it's something electronic.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-03-13, 11:54 PM
I hope it isn't the regulator. That's a big job. It does work perfectly fine other than not auto up or down. Hoping it's something electronic.

Hello RGaret,

I am sorry you are experiencing a window malfunction. Please update us after your dealership visit. I want to make sure your vehicle is fixed and working appropriately. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let us know!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Darnell
05-05-13, 09:58 AM
Have you tried to reset the windows?

All the way up and then without pause hold the switches for 5 seconds. Then all the way down and hold the switches for 5 seconds.

RGaret
05-05-13, 06:52 PM
Have you tried to reset the windows?

All the way up and then without pause hold the switches for 5 seconds. Then all the way down and hold the switches for 5 seconds.

Yep. Tried that procedure. It works...but after a few hours, the problem returns. Intermittent failure. I only hope it is still broken when I get it to the dealer.

RGaret
05-07-13, 07:44 AM
Brought the car to the dealer yesterday. Of course the windows were working fine. Service rep told me if it happens again to just drop by without an appointment so they can see it.

RGaret
05-08-13, 12:38 PM
This happened again last night. Does anyone have a shop manual who could tell me which part controls this function? My BMW had a similar issue and it took months to fix and 4 dealer visits.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-09-13, 11:05 AM
This happened again last night. Does anyone have a shop manual who could tell me which part controls this function? My BMW had a similar issue and it took months to fix and 4 dealer visits.

Hello RGaret,

Are you taking your vehicle to the dealership again? I understand how this issue can be frustrating, especially when it does not happen once at the dealership.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

RGaret
05-09-13, 11:49 AM
The dealer told me to stop by without an appointment the next time this occurs. That's what I will do. As of this morning it is working fine again.

RGaret
05-10-13, 10:15 AM
Update:

Window malfunctioned again last night. Brought it to dealer this morning without an appointment. Took one look at it and immediately ordered new window motor. No questions asked. So far Sarant Cadillac is doing right by me.

Xaqtly
05-10-13, 08:21 PM
Good deal. My dealer replaced mine no questions asked too. It's been 100% since then.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-10-13, 09:23 PM
Update:

Window malfunctioned again last night. Brought it to dealer this morning without an appointment. Took one look at it and immediately ordered new window motor. No questions asked. So far Sarant Cadillac is doing right by me.

Great update RGaret! Glad to know the dealership was able to order a new window motor for you right away and address your concern.

Regards,

Laura M.

----------

Good deal. My dealer replaced mine no questions asked too. It's been 100% since then.

Hi Xaqtly,

Great to hear from you also! Happy the dealer was able to replace your window and that it has been functioning right since then. Enjoy driving your vehicle!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

RGaret
05-15-13, 01:40 PM
OK. So I have an appointment for next week to have my window motor replaced. Hopefully that will solve my problem. In the meantime, I am able to reproduce the issue reliably. If I leave the car in the sun all day, the memory for the auto up is forgotten. I reset it and if the car stays garaged it will keep. Can anyone offer an explanation for this?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-16-13, 12:11 AM
OK. So I have an appointment for next week to have my window motor replaced. Hopefully that will solve my problem. In the meantime, I am able to reproduce the issue reliably. If I leave the car in the sun all day, the memory for the auto up is forgotten. I reset it and if the car stays garaged it will keep. Can anyone offer an explanation for this?

Hello RGaret,

I hope after your appointment your issue is solved also! Please keep us updated after and let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Laura M.

RGaret
05-23-13, 09:18 PM
Setback. Dealer changed my window motor and the problem persists. What else could be causing the auto up window to not function? Is there a relay, module, or some other piece of hardware controlling this?

Trapspeed
05-23-13, 10:20 PM
From my understanding, yes, there is.

RGaret
05-24-13, 07:31 AM
If anyone out there knows what the problem might be, please let me know. I had a similar situation with my BMW (wipers wouldn't park) and the dealer couldn't figure it out until someone else with a similar problem told me which part to change. I don't blame my service advisor or the mechanic as this is just a very rare and weird problem.

Trapspeed
05-24-13, 08:06 AM
I'm surprised they didn't chase a faulty module before installing a new motor.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-13, 09:27 AM
If anyone out there knows what the problem might be, please let me know. I had a similar situation with my BMW (wipers wouldn't park) and the dealer couldn't figure it out until someone else with a similar problem told me which part to change. I don't blame my service advisor or the mechanic as this is just a very rare and weird problem.

Hello RGaret,

I am sorry that this issue still persists with your vehicle and that it is a rare problem that is unable to be fixed right now. If there are other questions or concerns you would like assistance with, please let us know.

Regards,

Laura M.

RGaret
05-24-13, 09:59 AM
Hello RGaret,

I am sorry that this issue still persists with your vehicle and that it is a rare problem that is unable to be fixed right now. If there are other questions or concerns you would like assistance with, please let us know.

Regards,

Laura M.

Laura,

As a matter of fact, what I would like to know is: what is the escalation proicedure for the dealer to follow in a case like this? I hope they have a protocol to follow when they reach a roadblock with a problem they cannot resolve. I am not complaining, just trying to be proactive.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-13, 10:31 AM
Laura,

As a matter of fact, what I would like to know is: what is the escalation proicedure for the dealer to follow in a case like this? I hope they have a protocol to follow when they reach a roadblock with a problem they cannot resolve. I am not complaining, just trying to be proactive.

Hello RGaret,

If you private message me, I am happy to help discuss this concern. Can you please provide me with your contact information, VIN, and dealership name and location.

Laura M.

Xaqtly
05-24-13, 12:55 PM
Is the problem related to the switch, maybe? Does the problem persist regardless of whether you're using the driver's side switch or the passenger side one? If the problem is only linked to one of the switches, that's probably it.

RGaret
05-24-13, 02:29 PM
Is the problem related to the switch, maybe? Does the problem persist regardless of whether you're using the driver's side switch or the passenger side one? If the problem is only linked to one of the switches, that's probably it.

Dealer called this morning. They think the replacement window motor assembly was detective. So they are installing a third one. If that doesn't fix it, I will get concerned its a gremlin in a computer or module somewhere.

carterb
05-24-13, 04:37 PM
How about the battery? I had a similar condition with my 2010 Corvette in 2011, where the passenger window started acting up similarly, lost its indexing, and I reset it. About a week later the battery crapped out completely without warning. Did not give any warning indications whatsoever. Might be something to check also.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-13, 08:27 PM
Dealer called this morning. They think the replacement window motor assembly was detective. So they are installing a third one. If that doesn't fix it, I will get concerned its a gremlin in a computer or module somewhere.

Hello RGaret,

I apologize that you have had to have your window motor replaced three times, but I hope that this will be the final time that it is necessary. Thank you for your continued updates! We will keep looking for them as well.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

RGaret
05-25-13, 05:30 AM
Hello RGaret,

I apologize that you have had to have your window motor replaced three times, but I hope that this will be the final time that it is necessary. Thank you for your continued updates! We will keep looking for them as well.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Looks like the third time was the charm. Windis appears to be working well now. Thanks to all for your input and advice.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-25-13, 06:44 PM
Looks like the third time was the charm. Windis appears to be working well now. Thanks to all for your input and advice.

Hello RGaret,

I’m happy to hear that the third time was the charm! If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to private message Laura or I and we will be sure to look into it for you. Thanks for your update!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care