: Hard to fill with gas

werwer2012
04-30-13, 08:06 PM
I have a 1999 Catera and I just recently went down to North Carolina on vacation. As soon as I started getting gas in the U.S. The pump trigger would keep shutting off and it would take me forever to fill the tank up. Now I have been back home in Canada for a month and everything is fine. Today I went to fill the car up and it is starting to do the same thing. Add 10 or 20 cents then the trigger would shut off and squeeze again and get a few more cents then shut off again. Gets to be a real pain in the butt filling up. Anyone have any idea why it is doing this.

Thanks...Greg

werwer2012
05-02-13, 04:05 AM
Well I have been doing some research online and it appears that my fuel tank vent tube may be plugged and causing the problem of hard to fill with gas. Can anyone tell me if this is something I can fix myself or is it going to cost me a arm and a leg to get it fixed.

Thanks...Greg

kaustein
05-02-13, 10:07 AM
When that has happened to me, due to a faulty gas handle, I pull the gas nozzle out as far as I can.

98Catera_2010
05-02-13, 11:30 AM
This has happened to me as well just once, I also did wat kaustein did and pull nozzle out as far as I could while still taking gas and not spilling. But hasn't happened again. Id say it has to be 6 months ago or longer.

werwer2012
05-02-13, 12:41 PM
I've tried that as well and it doesn't make any difference, still keeps shutting off.

PrimeTimeElite
05-07-13, 11:35 AM
I've encountered this as well. I once thought it had to do with temperature, until happened in the middle of a snow storm. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Though I have noticed when it does it, it will do it ALL day; there is no "put in a few bucks and try again in an few hours" When I pull the nozzle out as far as possible all that does is show me how the fuel pools up the tube, it just doesn't get into the tank fast enough.