: Cars I shouldn't have owned, but did

vincentm
04-30-13, 05:55 PM
Plymouth Neon...nuff said. Id rather keep the Chevy Celebrity longer than one of these little turds

Submariner409
04-30-13, 06:13 PM
1972 Volvo station wagon 4 cyl 4 speed (bought new). Slow, expensive, temperamental money pit.

1980 Ford Mustang V-8 auto (bought new). A ??? 260 ??? c.i. slug. The Fox body.

1992 Ford Taurus LX 3.8 (bought new). Decent, slow, unassuming. (Should have coughed up the bucks for the SHO.)

orconn
04-30-13, 06:28 PM
I won't bore the veterans of Forums with an iteration of my Audi woes. For newcomers to this site let me just say my Audi 5000S was the worst car experience I have ever had!

truckinman
04-30-13, 06:56 PM
Plymouth Neon...nuff said. Id rather keep the Chevy Celebrity longer than one of these little turds

I see your neon and raise you a 1987 dodge reliant K

vincentm
04-30-13, 07:18 PM
I see your neon and raise you a 1987 dodge reliant K

oh damn....:|

The-Dullahan
04-30-13, 08:34 PM
1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV.

BlueAngel#07
04-30-13, 08:36 PM
Pontiac Phoenix ...... The pain of a black walled four banger rolling trash can.

OOOOH YEAH-WHO

just like mine only mine had no hub caps and was on fire.

Can't forget the dodge dart from nineteen hundred and seventy five......which was also on fire... Nice

Cadillac Kid03
04-30-13, 08:40 PM
2003 Trailblazer LT don't buy one.... I know this truck almost inside and out since something is always braking on it with only 60K miles.

ryannel2003
04-30-13, 09:05 PM
2003 Trailblazer LT don't buy one.... I know this truck almost inside and out since something is always braking on it with only 60K miles.

Strange my friend has 200k miles on his and hasn't had any issues with it. Water pump, 1 window regulator, control arm bushings and blower motor. That's all.

Cadillac Kid03
04-30-13, 09:13 PM
Strange my friend has 200k miles on his and hasn't had any issues with it. Water pump, 1 window regulator, control arm bushings and blower motor. That's all.Hes lucky then..... A new set of tires at 27K miles, All bulbs have been replaced, 2 sets of brakes, Drinks brake fluid, Trans might be going, Blower motor is going, CD player is dead, 4WD only engages when it wants, door weather stripping needs to be glued back on since there known for hanging down, New coil packs since the hood leaks water and the channel goes right over them, The tail gate plate holder seems to have bubbling glue, Wheels started pitting and fading at 30K miles, Blows fuses like all hell, Rust is starting to form under the rear doors, Problems with locking it with either remotes Endless amounts of problems and that is not the whole list...

BlazerZR5
04-30-13, 09:34 PM
^lol.

'03 Hyundai Elantra GT(bought new) started falling apart at 70,000miles,cracked manifold,cracked secondary converter,bad links,ate through rear pads&rotors like candy! sold it at 100,000miles

'05 Hyundai Sonata LX(bought new for '04 Christmas present for wife) stayed at the dealer,constant issues from leaking freeze plug at 29k to failed engine at 68k and everything in between from handles breaking off in my wife's hand,to squirters not working! it also had a serious Michelin mxv4 plus habit every 20k ,got it back from the dealer after warranty engine installed,and sold it at 69k.

I had a vehicle allowance and was corporate,cars where both special ordered loaded w/leather and all options,both black on black,and where delivered at cost...still wasn't worth it! haha!

HAZZARDJOHN
04-30-13, 09:58 PM
This car:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/22642_451953165461_1158379_n.jpg
Because it had this engine:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/P5190099.jpg
This became a common theme:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/broke9-10-07-01.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Johnny1107/media/Impala/broke9-10-07-01.jpg.html)

I bought it because it was clean and $8500. I wanted a DGGM Impala since 95. The guy I bought it from was an admin from the MinneSSota Impala SS club and I was told it was a bargain cause he sunk 9K into the motor about three years before I bought it. Drove it 300 miles and it started spitting rockers like a hockey player spits teeth:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/rocker02.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Johnny1107/media/Impala/rocker02.jpg.html)

Redid the heads and then I drove it another 100 miles when it lost oil pressure and before I could shut her down I spun two bearings. I bought a used stock motor, and put that in, but I just never trusted it. I still have the "built" LT1 in the garage but the car I sold for $6K after about 1000 miles and two years of ownership.

~HJ

Ranger
04-30-13, 10:07 PM
'78 Ford Fairmont wagon. The epitome of the Fix Or Replace Daily acronym.

BlazerZR5
04-30-13, 10:38 PM
Omg that impalla would fetch at least $10k here in that condition! seriously,I've seen some crazy stuff here for those,G body,and box Chevy.mostly stock,ragged cars.

HAZZARDJOHN
04-30-13, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't pay 10K for an impala unless it was mint. This car was clean (MN car, but never driven in winter), but everything was played with. I bought it thinking the work on the engine was solid and I could drive it for a while. The aftermarket radio was a hack job installation and it had some major wiring issues, but it was clean and back then 8500 was a good deal. Turns out the work on the motor was a hack job as well. He was asking 12K for it for years and no one even looked at it. When he dropped it to 8500 in desperation I bit thinking it was a good deal. When I sold it fr 6K it was with a junkyard motor so I priced it as a clean project as that was what it really was. Right now It is about an average price. It had 109K miles on it when I sold it.

BlazerZR5
04-30-13, 11:14 PM
^for some reason they are in absurdly high demand local to me(gulf coast).its become some kind of status symbol here,idk.it actually bugs me,because I want a G body project car. I see FAR out of state temp tags on them a lot! they're being imported here the demand is so high for those cars.

77CDV
04-30-13, 11:47 PM
I was meant to own all my cars. But then, all my cars have been Cadillacs. :D

CadillacLuke24
05-01-13, 01:35 AM
I was meant to own all my cars. But then, all my cars have been Cadillacs. :D

Likewise. But I've only had one Cadillac :cloud9:

Aron9000
05-01-13, 02:22 AM
I know I'm going to get some flack here, but I hated the 1990 Seville STS I had. Its a Buick, no maybe an Oldsmobile, oh hold on its definitley a dead ringer for a 1992 Dodge Dynasty.

ryannel2003
05-01-13, 02:28 AM
I know I'm going to get some flack here, but I hated the 1990 Seville STS I had. Its a Buick, no maybe an Oldsmobile, oh hold on its definitley a dead ringer for a 1992 Dodge Dynasty.

No they sucked. That design was terrible.

talismandave
05-01-13, 04:07 AM
1980 Fiat Strada......was only car I was ever ashamed to be seen in. Parked far away from anywhere I went so people wouldn't see me in it.

Koooop
05-01-13, 09:16 AM
Someone owed me $800, he gave me a Chevette.

BlazerZR5
05-01-13, 09:18 AM
^so they still owe you $750? Or he owes you $800 for taking the chevette?

1BadCadSTS
05-01-13, 09:57 AM
1983 Pontiac Trans-AM Daytona 500 pace car with crossfire "ceasefire" injection. Fun lil car to get me through high school but what a horrible motor. Brought to you by the designers of the Cadillac 4 6 8...

bigm57ict
05-01-13, 10:18 AM
I wasn't me, exactly, but in 1976 my parents traded in their old, worn out 1968 Mustang for a brand-new car that had just been introduced - The Chevrolet Chevette!
It was bright orange with beige vinyl interior. After two months of ownership, my dad hit a deer with it. He took it in for an alignment and was told by the shop that the suspension on that car couldn't be adjusted. The best they could do is try to bend things back into shape.
My parents kept threatening that it would become my car when I was of age to drive, but thankfully the car didn't last that long :)

Koooop
05-01-13, 10:45 AM
^so they still owe you $750? Or he owes you $800 for taking the chevette?

He owes me $799 and dinner.

Kev
05-01-13, 11:14 AM
One car that I shouldn't have owned was a '66 Ford Falcon four door sedan, Wimbledon white, 200 cid straight 6, C4 auto. It was a great little car actually but not cool for a high school kid. The only reason I bought that car was because I was stupid with the little '67 Bug that I had.

Had I not busted the Bug, I would never have had the Falcon.

cadillac kevin
05-01-13, 11:21 AM
^for some reason they are in absurdly high demand local to me(gulf coast).its become some kind of status symbol here,idk.it actually bugs me,because I want a G body project car. I see FAR out of state temp tags on them a lot! they're being imported here the demand is so high for those cars.

Same here. Looking on CL, nice ones go for 6k+ (WTF!)
A dealership here had an 87 cutlass for 8k with 26k miles (a friend who was at the auction said they paid 4k for it). My dad thought they were nuts....it sold after 2 or 3 weeks. I showed him CL ads for cutlasses, and he could not understand why the mid - late 80s ones are worth so much. He said "it's a mediocre car that wasn't worth 2k a couple years ago."
Also, b and c body prices have gone through the roof. Box caprices are impossible to find in unmolested condition (and they want a mint for them if they are), and lesabres start at 2k for beaters and go from there. Mine would be 4 or 5k now and I paid 2500 for it in 2009 (which was alot for one back then.)
80-89 caddys have also gone through the roof. Crappy ones that might be roadable are 2k, and a decent one with 120-150k+ is 4k-5k.

bigm57ict
05-01-13, 11:24 AM
I bought a '78 Buick Electra 225 (C Body) several years ago for $500. It was a great car in excellent condition. I guess I should have hung on to it...

Ranger
05-01-13, 11:36 AM
Someone owed me $800, he gave me a Chevette.
THAT was one hell of a deal............................for the debtor.

MoistCabbage
05-01-13, 12:04 PM
THAT was one hell of a deal............................for the debtor.I had an '87 Chevette. 80K, no rust, one dent, $500..... I figured, why not? All it ever needed was a water pump. Fun little car.

gdwriter
05-01-13, 02:18 PM
Someone owed me $800, he gave me a Chevette.My girlfriend's family had a Chevette when she was growing up, which left her stranded on more than one occasion. She always refers to it as "that damn Chevette."

rodnok01
05-01-13, 02:28 PM
K car... Enough said.

The-Dullahan
05-01-13, 02:30 PM
Ahh. That is how I got my '68 Bonneville. Someone owed me a sum of money and gave me that. Of course, I have actually enjoyed my motorbike, even if it spends most of it's time twenty miles from me, locked in storage in a separate county.

cadillac kevin
05-01-13, 02:43 PM
My girlfriend's family had a Chevette when she was growing up, which left her stranded on more than one occasion. She always refers to it as "that damn Chevette."

My dad's best friend's dad had one back in the 80s. My dad's friend drove it one day and rolled it (made a hard right at 40 mph- he figured his roadrunner did it no problem so the chevette could do it). Blew out all the glass and smashed it up really good. He kicked out the windshield, rolled it back over, and drove it home. His dad was majorly pissed.

RetiredSFC 97
05-01-13, 03:40 PM
Man you guys have had some clunkers:) I had some friends who had chevettes, Pintos, mavericks etc. But one frined had a Plymouth Arrow. He was in the Army and it was cheap, and inexpensive to drive. Not a bad car but it was just a Chevette really.

No one here mentioned Pacer:) I can't think of a car I shouldn't have owned. I had a rusted out 78 TA once but it was only temporary so no big deal. Other than that I've been pretty happy with my cars.

Oh yeah. That 77 Chv Silverado. Paid lots of money for a Pick Up that was wore out when I bought it. Live and learn.

Ranger
05-01-13, 09:49 PM
Two of my coworkers had Chevettes (many, many moons ago). They burned so much oil we used to bring them our drain oil after an oil change. They just kept dumping it in one end and out the other. On the day they decided to put them out of their misery they had a little demolition derby in the company parking lot. Those of us in the know laughed our asses off. Those who where not in the know where in shock. They thought they where witnessing the worst case of road rage from one guy stealing the others parking spot. They just took turns ramming each other, then drove off leaving the unsuspecting in utter disbelief. :histeric:

77CDV
05-02-13, 03:25 AM
Likewise. But I've only had one Cadillac :cloud9:

That's ok. I was only on my second Cadillac when I was 22.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-02-13, 08:51 AM
I guess I KIND of regret buying that '99 S320 I had. The only part I regret is what I spent (~$8,000) on repairs and maintenance over the two years I owned it. Otherwise, it was one hell of a car and something I'm still proud to say I have owned.

Koooop
05-02-13, 09:41 AM
A Cotillion White over Red, 1984 Biarritz Convertible, complete with period correct cragar wire wheels, continental kit and custom pimp grill.

I purchased the car while under the influence.

Ranger
05-02-13, 11:13 AM

That's obvious. :)

truckinman
05-02-13, 12:40 PM
If I ever had a Chevette, just to avoid embarrassment I'd call it a 'vette..and hope no one ever caught on.

MoistCabbage
05-02-13, 01:07 PM
Lol. Nah, I liked mine. there was no way to drive around unnoticed anyway, it was bright red. Bought a chrome emblem and stuck it on the tailgate "SIZE MATTERS" :histeric: .

cadillac kevin
05-02-13, 01:24 PM
A Cotillion White over Red, 1984 Biarritz Convertible, complete with period correct cragar wire wheels, continental kit and custom pimp grill.

I would rock the shit outta that....given I put a reliable motor in it

orconn
05-02-13, 03:37 PM
I guess I KIND of regret buying that '99 S320 I had. The only part I regret is what I spent (~$8,000) on repairs and maintenance over the two years I owned it. Otherwise, it was one hell of a car and something I'm still proud to say I have owned.

Some might think owning the Mercedes S320 at your young age was a mistake. I would beg to differ, you learned some very valuable life information by owning that car. First you came to understand what real quality of manufacture, materials and design aspiration were about. And you learned the limitations of these attributes in achieving true luxury status. You learned the advantages and disadvantages of "over engineering" and the practical value of this attribute as it applies to what are essentially utilitarian devices. I think you came to understand, at least to a certain degree, the true essence of the term "luxury" and the reality of its' meaning in American life and conditions. You also experienced the pride and enjoyment of owning a truly fine possession, but also the cost of enjoying that privilege! All this knowledge gained will make your life, as you go along much more enjoyable as you are able to more wisely pursue your objectives.

I wouldn't exchange my ten year ownership of my Lamborghini 350 GT for anything for all the reasons mentioned above. Although the Lamborghini's cost of ownership were not as onerous as the Mercedes were for you, there were still factors that would keep me from ever wanting to own another car like it. The car's materials and design stood the test of time, but as time went buy and I came to appreciate just how rare (there were only 124 ever made) and
wonderful a car the was, and this lead to very limited use of it and the ever present concern that something would happen to it. As much as I love the car, I was very happy to let a collector take over the responsibility of owning such a car!

brandondeleo
05-02-13, 06:35 PM
I don't regret any of the cars I've owned, they have all been very good to me. With the exception of the DeVille's H/G catastrophe. Still don't regret owning it, though.

Aztec ETC ECS
05-03-13, 12:22 AM
'64 Newport, 25 years ago, was given to me by someone who couldn't stand looking at it anymore.
Used it for a winter car so as not to ruin my convertible. Had push-button trans. Made the best ignition off/on backfires. Beat it to death, took my plates & left it for sanitation.
(Too ugly for pics, even when new)