: You wanted to know how an intake sounds?

Stevo Supremo
04-30-13, 04:58 PM
Wanted to know what an intake sounds like? we were testing the fitment of my custom intake (still some tweaks to be done) but it sounds damn good in person!!!

keep in mind its much louder in person, this wasn't recorded on the best device lol. I LOVE the sound of the turbo screaming at 5K rpm (wich I didn't film so sorry lol) but that "PPSSSHHH" and hearing that turbo spool up makes it really hard to stay off the gas!!

***yes its a quick vid I did last minute,.. but you'll get the idea! :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AnKvtV4c4&feature=youtu.be

donavo
04-30-13, 05:29 PM
hmm. it just sounds like only the turbo sound has been amplified. is that the case in person? or is the engine "growl" also aplified?

Stevo Supremo
04-30-13, 05:38 PM
yeah the engine has a much deeper.. rumble? to it, its hard to explain but if you've ever been in a "Before and after" intake car you know what sound I mean.

Thats sorta why I was weary about posting a video because it really doesn't give the full "oomph" of how it sounds in person... I mean.. my neighbor walked over and asked "what the hell did you do to that thing?! I could hear you coming waaayyyy down the street before I even saw ya!"

I just wanted to share what I could lol, but the turbo spooling/Blow off are the more noticeable sounds.

as for performance.. well.. its an intake lol, it maybe pulls a hair better at low RPM.. but that could just be some placeebo effect :yup:, but the tone change in the engine and the audible-ness (if thats a word :P) of the turbo make an intake worth every penny IMO.. just makes it sound so.damn.cool!

donavo
04-30-13, 06:51 PM
yeah the engine has a much deeper.. rumble? to it, its hard to explain but if you've ever been in a "Before and after" intake car you know what sound I mean.

Thats sorta why I was weary about posting a video because it really doesn't give the full "oomph" of how it sounds in person... I mean.. my neighbor walked over and asked "what the hell did you do to that thing?! I could hear you coming waaayyyy down the street before I even saw ya!"

I just wanted to share what I could lol, but the turbo spooling/Blow off are the more noticeable sounds.

as for performance.. well.. its an intake lol, it maybe pulls a hair better at low RPM.. but that could just be some placeebo effect :yup:, but the tone change in the engine and the audible-ness (if thats a word :P) of the turbo make an intake worth every penny IMO.. just makes it sound so.damn.cool!

and thats what counts. ill take ur word for it sounding rly good. IMO thats the one thing this car lacks. its quiet as hell and thats rly difficult for me to know when to shift (with the RPM gauge being all the way on the left)

YoshiFD3S
04-30-13, 07:35 PM
I want more pics and info on your intake like NOW!!! @_@

Please? :)

SLA
04-30-13, 09:50 PM
Make sure you log it. You don't want to run lean.

/killjoy

Stevo Supremo
04-30-13, 10:08 PM
I want more pics and info on your intake like NOW!!! @_@

Please? :)

lol well like I said it was being test fitted today, gotta few tweaks to do, its back at the shop just getting adjusted.. I thought it was fine but eh, what do I know lol

Make sure you log it. You don't want to run lean.

/killjoy

yeah we're gonna be data logging it :thumbsup:

Siren05
04-30-13, 11:29 PM
Better get it tuned or kabooooom....
No way will ECU adjust..

It sounds nice but if I were a betting man, I'd bet a high flow element will yield similar audible results. With more detonation safety. But you gotta see what's happening. Datalog.

YoshiFD3S
05-01-13, 04:13 AM
Better get it tuned or kabooooom....
No way will ECU adjust..

It sounds nice but if I were a betting man, I'd bet a high flow element will yield similar audible results. With more detonation safety. But you gotta see what's happening. Datalog.

LOL...no offense, but you're joking right? Will the ECU adjust? Possibly. How else would aftermarket intakes produce horsepower if all ECU's completely negated the gains. There is no way in Hades that a simple little intake is going to result in predetonation.

Now with THAT said, with some of today's cars, like my Sonata, the ECU detects the drastic increase in air flow and will sometimes negate the would-be HP/TQ gains of the intake by pulling timing, etc etc.

A good example is when Injen had my Sonata for R&D, they created intakes that produces 20+HP, but over consecutive dyno runs (heatsoak aside) the car made less and less power, to the point that they had to go with a significantly less efficient intake that only produced around 7hp/11tq IIRC..

Anyways, your gamble on the motor blowing from a simple intake is a losing one.

Now, whether an open-element intake design is more efficient than one that retains factory air-box ducting....that's a whole 'nother discussion to be had.

Siren05
05-01-13, 08:49 AM
LOL...no offense, but you're joking right? Will the ECU adjust? Possibly. How else would aftermarket intakes produce horsepower if all ECU's completely negated the gains. There is no way in Hades that a simple little intake is going to result in predetonation.

Now with THAT said, with some of today's cars, like my Sonata, the ECU detects the drastic increase in air flow and will sometimes negate the would-be HP/TQ gains of the intake by pulling timing, etc etc.

A good example is when Injen had my Sonata for R&D, they created intakes that produces 20+HP, but over consecutive dyno runs (heatsoak aside) the car made less and less power, to the point that they had to go with a significantly less efficient intake that only produced around 7hp/11tq IIRC..

Now, whether an open-element intake design is more efficient than one that retains factory air-box ducting....that's a whole 'nother discussion to be had.

No offence. But DON'T USE A SONATA AS AN EXAMPLE OF PERFORMANCE VEHICLE.

I own a STI THAT MADE WELL OVER 450tq and 400 hp.
I also owned a turbo is300 with full GTE SWAP. 650 rwhp. I'm familiar with turbos.
On turbo cars intakes are the last thing and most unsafe worthless mod you can do without a tune .thats it.

No but leaning out at high rpms due to improper AFRs will due it. I've seen it on many many many datalogs .

Suggesting no tune with intakes is bad. I'm out

Stevo Supremo
05-01-13, 12:00 PM
Back when, I ran an intake on my supercharged cobalt for 2 years and never had it tuned and didn't see any issues (the blower sounded damn nice though)

Yeah, I'm not worried about anything exploding :suspect:... But I'm gonna log it anyways to make sure its not running rich/lean.

But I dont really want this to turn into a "I know more than him thread. " ... the intakes still getting adjusted, and I am gonna data log it for my own uses. :yup:

Oh and my next mod is a down pipe (with possible electric cutout), then.. a tune :)

SLA
05-01-13, 01:01 PM

If the ECU does not compensate for the increased airflow, it will lean out at high rpm. That could certainly blow the engine over time. I've seen logs where just a panel filter has leaned out AFRs enough to potentially cause engine damage over time.

However, not every car requires a retune after installing parts like a downpipe or intake, like a Subaru does.

The best thing to do is log it, and it seems the OP has that handled.

YoshiFD3S
05-01-13, 03:42 PM
No offence. But DON'T USE A SONATA AS AN EXAMPLE OF PERFORMANCE VEHICLE.

I own a STI THAT MADE WELL OVER 450tq and 400 hp.
I also owned a turbo is300 with full GTE SWAP. 650 rwhp. I'm familiar with turbos.
On turbo cars intakes are the last thing and most unsafe worthless mod you can do without a tune .thats it.

No but leaning out at high rpms due to improper AFRs will due it. I've seen it on many many many datalogs .

Suggesting no tune with intakes is bad. I'm out

So you owned a 400+hp STI and a GTE-swapped IS300 and you are sitting there proposing that adding JUST an intake could result in TOO lean of AFR's and result in predetonation? Is that what you're saying? Because if so, then just punch yourself in the face dude, because you're an idiot. You must have bought and not built those cars you mention, because obviously if you had ANY mechanical sense about you, you'd realize how incredibly retarded and assinine you sound.

I'm not arguing that air-flow modifications don't lean out AFR's...of course they do, that's how they make more power.

The only exception from my experience would be OLDER cars like my RX-7 however, when you add intakes AND a free-flowing exhaust, you DO in fact run into issues of pre-detonation because the ECU doesn't have the technology/capability to compensate for the increased air flow by adding more fuel, pulling timing, etc. That would be the only valid exception...but again, JUST an intake causing predetonation on any car?? Never heard of that happening, EVER. Now, without a tune will you maximize the AMOUNT of power you COULD make from an intake? Of course not...it's not mandatory, but having your car tuned specifically to your mods is always going to be more effective than allowing the ECU to automatically adjust/compensate.

Next, I mentioned my Sonata because it's a newer vehicle with a similar 2.0L direct-injected 4-cylinder turbo-charged motor. I worked directly with Injen as they used my car for the R&D of their intake, and I would give them more credibility than I would some puffed-up forum punk who wants to have a pissing contest. From my experience with them and my experience with performance cars overall, I've come to 2 conclusions:

That the technology in today newer ECU's either A.) Allow for the leaner AFR's which result in the advertised HP/TQ gains that manufacturers post.... or B.) They potentially "de-tune" the changes made by OVER-compensating with overly rich AFR's, lowering boost, pulling timing, etc.

Seriously though, if any of you guys are afraid that an intake is going to blow your engine, I would respectfully request you trade your cars and your balls back into the dealership, because you obviously aren't prepared to modify a performance vehicle.

I tried to not sound TOO insulting with my last post, but I don't have patience for forum trolls.

donavo
05-01-13, 04:56 PM
I tried to not sound TOO insulting with my last post, but I don't have patience for forum trolls.

too late bro. i think the poor guy you directed this at just shot down his office and offed himself.

Siren05
05-01-13, 08:40 PM
So you owned a 400+hp STI and a GTE-swapped IS300 and you are sitting there proposing that adding JUST an intake could result in TOO lean of AFR's and result in predetonation? Is that what you're saying? Because if so, then just punch yourself in the face dude, because you're an idiot. You must have bought and not built those cars you mention, because obviously if you had ANY mechanical sense about you, you'd realize how incredibly retarded and assinine you sound.

I'm not arguing that air-flow modifications don't lean out AFR's...of course they do, that's how they make more power.

The only exception from my experience would be OLDER cars like my RX-7 however, when you add intakes AND a free-flowing exhaust, you DO in fact run into issues of pre-detonation because the ECU doesn't have the technology/capability to compensate for the increased air flow by adding more fuel, pulling timing, etc. That would be the only valid exception...but again, JUST an intake causing predetonation on any car?? Never heard of that happening, EVER. Now, without a tune will you maximize the AMOUNT of power you COULD make from an intake? Of course not...it's not mandatory, but having your car tuned specifically to your mods is always going to be more effective than allowing the ECU to automatically adjust/compensate.

Next, I mentioned my Sonata because it's a newer vehicle with a similar 2.0L direct-injected 4-cylinder turbo-charged motor. I worked directly with Injen as they used my car for the R&D of their intake, and I would give them more credibility than I would some puffed-up forum punk who wants to have a pissing contest. From my experience with them and my experience with performance cars overall, I've come to 2 conclusions:

That the technology in today newer ECU's either A.) Allow for the leaner AFR's which result in the advertised HP/TQ gains that manufacturers post.... or B.) They potentially "de-tune" the changes made by OVER-compensating with overly rich AFR's, lowering boost, pulling timing, etc.

Seriously though, if any of you guys are afraid that an intake is going to blow your engine, I would respectfully request you trade your cars and your balls back into the dealership, because you obviously aren't prepared to modify a performance vehicle.

Wow.. You have issues. My only point was to advise OP TOO DATALOG. I was trying to help
LEAN AFRs will lead to issues if your ECU CAN'T ADJUST TO AMOUNT OF AIR THE INTAKE PROVIDES.
I have logged 20+ track events a year for longer that you have had a license :) 60-80 hours of seat time with many many true high performance race cars and I have many cases of many cars leaning out under high load causing instances of detonation.

----------

That wasn't too insulting was it.?

----------

Sorry OP I WAS ONLY TO GIVE SOME ADVICE..DIDN'T MEAN TO CAUSE ANY DRAMA

jph
05-01-13, 09:07 PM
here's my $0.02...

on MAF sensor equipped cars (like the ATS) .. DO DATALOG! :) the ecu is calibrated for a certain intake, and piping diameter, it knows how much air flows through it.
change this, without logging and/or tuning, and you're gambling. the ecu will not magically adjust to the new intake, as it doesn't know anything about it, all it does is measure airflow.

however, a properly designed intake, can be used on a stock ecu without problems.

J.

Ihuntv8
05-01-13, 10:05 PM
Been lurking here for some time, and I must say I have read some good things, and not so good things!!
I previously owned a EVO before I bought my ATS! I worked at Buschur Racing building turbo kits, inter coolers bla bla bla! My EVO ran 9.70s at 149 mph on street tires! I was seriously considering building parts
For the ATS, but I don't think I can handle all the bullshit that goes with dealing with customers in the aftermarket industry. I will build my own exhaust, intake and turbo kit and see how that goes! I plan on tearing into the car soon! I installed boost gauge and boost controller couple weeks ago, and I do have the car
Pulling to redline!

----------

Here is another piece of advice, the car will go into limp mode and will only build 8-10 psi if car overboost to 22-24 psi. That ecu is from 2013, not 1985!! It will adjust afr's due into intake pressure and ait!

----------

I would bet my arm there is a target far setting in the computer, so with all the sensors, the car will adjust afr's. BUT when hp tuners have software finished, and u change settings in ecu, then u can run into some problems with running lean. Until then, happy boostin

Stevo Supremo
05-01-13, 10:25 PM
I dont know if you guys know this or not...

But this intakes built so that that the Diameter of the Maf housing is EXACTLY THE SAME as the factory piping, nothings changing there... in fact, the whole tube is the same diameter, just no crinkled 90' rubber elbow, that's nice chrome piping now.

I think this is being blow way outta proportion (exploding engines and such), I'm not bolting on 10" PVC pipes and soaked oil filters, everything about this intake is Kosher dont worry.

SLA
05-01-13, 11:29 PM
Smoothing out the intake tract can also change AFRs. :)

Stevo Supremo
05-01-13, 11:41 PM
lol I'm not too concerned, this isn't the first car I've modefied, I'll be data logging it and any abnormalities (id be surprised if there even are any) will be ironed out

bravnik
05-02-13, 11:13 AM
Been lurking here for some time, and I must say I have read some good things, and not so good things!!
I previously owned a EVO before I bought my ATS! I worked at Buschur Racing building turbo kits, inter coolers bla bla bla! My EVO ran 9.70s at 149 mph on street tires! I was seriously considering building parts
For the ATS, but I don't think I can handle all the bullshit that goes with dealing with customers in the aftermarket industry. I will build my own exhaust, intake and turbo kit and see how that goes! I plan on tearing into the car soon! I installed boost gauge and boost controller couple weeks ago, and I do have the car
Pulling to redline!

----------

Here is another piece of advice, the car will go into limp mode and will only build 8-10 psi if car overboost to 22-24 psi. That ecu is from 2013, not 1985!! It will adjust afr's due into intake pressure and ait!

----------

I would bet my arm there is a target far setting in the computer, so with all the sensors, the car will adjust afr's. BUT when hp tuners have software finished, and u change settings in ecu, then u can run into some problems with running lean. Until then, happy boostin

Can you PM me on how you added the boost gauge and controller? Maybe some pics? I would be interested in seeing your setup. Thanks.

Stevo Supremo
05-02-13, 11:30 AM
In4boostgaugeh0w2

Hoosier Daddy
05-02-13, 12:06 PM
I dont know if you guys know this or not...

But this intakes built so that that the Diameter of the Maf housing is EXACTLY THE SAME as the factory piping, nothings changing there... in fact, the whole tube is the same diameter, just no crinkled 90' rubber elbow, that's nice chrome piping now.

I think this is being blow way outta proportion (exploding engines and such), I'm not bolting on 10" PVC pipes and soaked oil filters, everything about this intake is Kosher dont worry.
I'm reporting your post to a moderator. It doesn't meet the minimal hostility quotient that has been established for this thread.

jph
05-02-13, 01:16 PM
That ecu is from 2013, not 1985!! It will adjust afr's due into intake pressure and ait!

are you saying that it's MAP based, and not MAF? or did i misunderstand that?

i'm new to these cars, so i'm learning as i go along. on top of that, this time, i went NA, and got the 3.6 so... i'm sort of making some assumptions as well ;)

J.

Stevo Supremo
05-02-13, 02:22 PM
I'm reporting your post to a moderator. It doesn't meet the minimal hostility quotient that has been established for this thread.

yeah, I thought so to...didn't know a pipe and a filter would cause such a bitch fit lol... But next time I do something to the car instead of being excited to show it to everyone here I'll just keep it to myself and the local car clubs lol. :thumbsup:

Ihuntv8
05-02-13, 03:03 PM
Stevo
I will take some pics later and message ya the way I did it! I have boost gauge in glovebox because I have never been a fan of gauges everywhere, and big tachs! I had the AEM set up to log anytime I was over
70% throttle, then just review it!
It was a pain in the ass running vacuum hose through firewall, then fishing it through and around shit
Under dash! I used coat hanger and took panels off under dash, took 2 hours just to run hose so it
Was perfect.

YoshiFD3S
05-02-13, 04:55 PM
I was speaking to my shop about fabricating intake and intercooler setups for the ATS and he said he'll do it.

So, if anyone is interested in having a custom intake, intercooler, or exhaust setup, just let me know.

Here's the setup they made for my turbo Sonata:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/YoshiFD3S/IMG_0079.jpg

The shop's name is Speed Force Racing out of Santee (San Diego), California.

http://www.speedforceracing.com/

This is the same shop that's finishing up my 2JZ-swapped '94 RX-7. Everytime I go there I'm seeing cars like a 600+hp turbo M3, twin-turbo G35/350Z, Evo's, STI's, super-charged Camaro's, etc. etc. They're definitely a legit shop. All-wheel drive dyno, tuning, fabrication, everything.

Just post or PM me, and I'll set something up with the shop owner.

Fraggy
05-03-13, 10:50 AM
yeah, I thought so to...didn't know a pipe and a filter would cause such a bitch fit lol... But next time I do something to the car instead of being excited to show it to everyone here I'll just keep it to myself and the local car clubs lol. :thumbsup:

Dude, this site is weird like that , lol.

mikesul
05-04-13, 01:44 PM
I was speaking to my shop about fabricating intake and intercooler setups for the ATS and he said he'll do it.

So, if anyone is interested in having a custom intake, intercooler, or exhaust setup, just let me know.

Here's the setup they made for my turbo Sonata:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/YoshiFD3S/IMG_0079.jpg

The shop's name is Speed Force Racing out of Santee (San Diego), California.

http://www.speedforceracing.com/

This is the same shop that's finishing up my 2JZ-swapped '94 RX-7. Everytime I go there I'm seeing cars like a 600+hp turbo M3, twin-turbo G35/350Z, Evo's, STI's, super-charged Camaro's, etc. etc. They're definitely a legit shop. All-wheel drive dyno, tuning, fabrication, everything.

Just post or PM me, and I'll set something up with the shop owner.

Only problem I see with your setup is you are pulling in hot, underhood air. A CAI needs to receive cooler air to be effective. I would use the same location as the factory in my ATS, just open up the airflow with a conical filter. Also make larger the factory opening to air from in front of the engine compartment.