: how often do you change your oil?

wangstarr03
04-30-13, 12:48 AM
Hey all, I'm just curious how often everyone changes their oil and at what interval? I've had my truck for about 2 months and have yet to change the oil; I assume it was done prior to purchase and my oil life monitor is still in the 40% range. I've put about 4500-5k miles since purchase. I used to change the oil in my Denali when the monitor hit 50% or below, and prior to that roughly every 3500 miles in my previous vehicle. Is it bad to change the oil before the truck recommends it? Would love to get everyone's input on this. Thanks!

jjtwomey
04-30-13, 01:19 AM
Hey all, I'm just curious how often everyone changes their oil and at what interval? I've had my truck for about 2 months and have yet to change the oil; I assume it was done prior to purchase and my oil life monitor is still in the 40% range. I've put about 4500-5k miles since purchase. I used to change the oil in my Denali when the monitor hit 50% or below, and prior to that roughly every 3500 miles in my previous vehicle. Is it bad to change the oil before the truck recommends it? Would love to get everyone's input on this. Thanks!

I usually do it every 3 to 5 thousand miles depending on how hard I've been running it or if I start burning oil

Over changing the oil or changing it too early could only be better for the engine in my opinion.... I think it would only be bad for your wallet and the environment ;-)

Rich08
04-30-13, 01:31 AM
Since changing the oil of my trucks only takes a couple min I do a change every 3k miles.

wwceaton
04-30-13, 08:39 AM
Mobile-1 every 5k with all my vehicals and my even Harley. Been doing this for over 20 years and i am a auto technition, have been for over 30 years if that helps.

Rustico
04-30-13, 04:54 PM
4000 miles mobil 1. Sometimes 200 miles earlier

Poncherello
04-30-13, 09:53 PM
I change mine when the oil monitor is 10% or lower. If the owner's manual says to follow the monitor I'm not going to change it early just because. The Mobil 1 synthetic can easily go 15,000 miles without any issues. In cars with regular dino oil I routinely go 7500+ miles and have never had a hint of an oil related failure in 27+ years of driving. Cars that I use as daily drivers easily go 200,000+ miles before I dump them.

2kflhr
04-30-13, 10:09 PM
On all of my previous vehicles without the oil life monitor I change every 5k miles (synthetic or not). Same goes for my Harley as well.

hollingass
05-01-13, 01:09 AM
Use a bypass filter and you can get 50,000 to 100,000 miles to an oil change, and use a roll of toilet paper as a filter

wesyder
05-01-13, 08:19 AM
Use a bypass filter and you can get 50,000 to 100,000 miles to an oil change, and use a roll of toilet paper as a filter

Are you using this setup on your vehicle? Please post pics, if not no biggie, the mechanic in me would never let an oil change duration go even 10k let alone 50-100k

K9Caddy
05-01-13, 01:22 PM

Remind me to never buy a used vehicle from you! :)

adamjeeps
05-01-13, 01:52 PM
Look up Amsoil bypass filter.

K9Caddy
05-01-13, 01:57 PM
Just because you are "bypassing" the OEM location for filter, does not mean that you get a free pass on changing the oil filter. All you are doing is re-locating the filter to a different spot, making it more accessible. E.G, under the hood.

hollingass
05-01-13, 03:11 PM
I am not talking about a filter relocation, when using a bypass filter your regular oil filter is also used. The BP filter filters a portion of the return oil. If you are shopping for a used vehicle and it has a BP filter rest assured that this engine was ran with oil that was perfectly clean all the time and the engine will most defiantly have less wear than one without a BP filter. Most users of these will draw a tiny sample of oil and get it tested and use the results to decide if a oil change is required. I have one on my diesel truck, the oil on my dipstick is always perfectly clean, never black.

wesyder
05-01-13, 03:51 PM
I am not talking about a filter relocation, when using a bypass filter your regular oil filter is also used. The BP filter filters a portion of the return oil. If you are shopping for a used vehicle and it has a BP filter rest assured that this engine was ran with oil that was perfectly clean all the time and the engine will most defiantly have less wear than one without a BP filter. Most users of these will draw a tiny sample of oil and get it tested and use the results to decide if a oil change is required. I have one on my diesel truck, the oil on my dipstick is always perfectly clean, never black.

Yeah I've seen the bypass systems, especially beneficial in the diesel world however the going 50-100k on an oil change with a toilet paper filter is interesting to me

K9Caddy
05-01-13, 04:02 PM

I dont care how many filters the oil is passing through, the oil still breaks down with heat and time. If you don't change the oil, with this basis, you are getting by on pure luck with your engines.

----------

Yeah I've seen the bypass systems, especially beneficial in the diesel world however the going 50-100k on an oil change with a toilet paper filter is interesting to me

That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard in the automotive industry, next to "muffler bearings" and "blinker fluid". Go ahead, change your oil filter with a pack of Charmin.:cookoo:

wesyder
05-01-13, 04:16 PM
I dont care how many filters the oil is passing through, the oil still breaks down with heat and time. If you don't change the oil, with this basis, you are getting by on pure luck with your engines.

----------

That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard in the automotive industry, next to "muffler bearings" and "blinker fluid". Go ahead, change your oil filter with a pack of Charmin.:cookoo:

Jus don't squeeze it :)

hollingass
05-01-13, 05:34 PM
Oil analysis done in a lab doesn't lie.

K9Caddy
05-01-13, 05:54 PM
Oil analysis done in a lab doesn't lie.

Please show me this product link or study, that you don't need to change your oil for 50-100k miles. I'd like to be proved wrong, since I received my masters ASE in 1998.

RippyPartsDept
05-01-13, 05:59 PM
the concept/design of the bypass filter allows it to use a filter medium that cleans the oil much better than the standard filter does
this keeps the oil in better condition over time

oil sample analysis has shown that the GM Oil Life Monitor is very accurate (and safe to reach 0%)
i usually get down to about 15% or so before changing my oil

----------

don't forget to check your oil level with your dipstick at regular intervals ... even in cars with oil level sensors/switches

K9Caddy
05-01-13, 06:04 PM
Yes, I understand the concept. But, not going 50-100k miles without changing the oil or using a roll of charmin.

RippyPartsDept
05-01-13, 06:22 PM
the toilet paper filter comes from the fact that the bypass filter does a much better job than a regular filter does that you might as well not even have a regular filter (or use a roll of toilet paper in its place)

if the oil sample analysis said you were good to go then i'd be okay with that ... but since i don't send my oil out for analysis i'll just stick to the GM OLM

K9Caddy
05-01-13, 06:30 PM
Yeah, that still doesn't explain the fact that oil breaks down over time, or helps with temperature and oil additives. I'd like to see a sample that ran through for 50-100k miles. Otherwise, I'm raising the BS flag.

hollingass
05-01-13, 06:47 PM
Really good info on this and most lubrication issues on bobistheoilguy.com. It doesn't matter to me whether you believe it or not. The only thing that breaks the oil down is overheating. BP filters are usually used on fleet vehicles like trucking companies etc...

Being that the cost of a oil change on my ESV cost about a third of that on my diesel it is not an expense I am really worried about. It would take several years worth of oil changes to recoup the cost of the BP system. The biggest advantage would be and engine with ultra clean oil in it all the time, wouldn't surprise me to get a million miles out of a 6.2 running this. However I'm sure you could easily get half that doing conventional oil changes. At this mileage most North American vehicles are ready for the scrap yard anyways.

K9Caddy
05-01-13, 06:52 PM
Ok, I guess we are not speaking English here anymore... Show me this theory with "Bob the oil guy". Link please.

Btw, I'm not refuting the fact you would have clean oil, I'm questioning the frequency or length of oil changes.

psuscott0483
05-01-13, 11:05 PM
I think there are enough studies to show oil can last well beyond 3k miles especially todays synthetics. Changing that often is just wasteful imo but its your car anyone can obviously do as they please. Ive been following the truck monitor. BMW now will not change oil on the new cars until the cars wants it. Brand new 750 went 22k before its first change. Took it in @ 10 & 15 thought maybe the sensor was broke but they wouldnt touch it.

Pillow
05-10-13, 10:48 AM
Google BP oil filtration. There is loads of information and different manufactures of kits. Mostly used by over the road truckers. As previously mentioned, the kit cost is prohibitive for cars since the miles do not rack up as fast. (unless you plan on being a million miler car)

Dyno juice 5K w/o sensor. (exception is the old 911SC that factory recommends 10K on dyno - 10 quarts)

Synthetic 10K ESV CTS-V

The '05 ESV on dyno juice would usually go 8K before setting off the change oil reminder.

A lot of you all are wasting oil. Period.

RippyPartsDept
05-10-13, 12:23 PM
remember the GM Oil Life Monitor (OLM) is calibrated for whatever oil is suggested in the owner's manual

the car will not adjust the calculations for different oil ... how could it ever know that you've 'upgraded' to synthetic?

MrHolland
05-10-13, 12:23 PM
As long as we recycle our minimally used oil we're not wasting it, but rather wasting our money. If there was a definitive answer to this question, there would be a set standard that we would all follow. Its simply a preference.

Pillow
05-10-13, 02:25 PM
Chris has a great answer which I think GM did a good job on. The automatic oil life indicator. Again on the '05 which called for dyno juice (still 5w-30) would regularly go until 8K before indicating a need for an oil change. Well done GM.

Being new to the Mobil1 engines I would "expect" these indicators to go between 10-15K. We will see. Otherwise I'm sticking to 10K. (with high quality filter)

And as MrHolland said, please please recycle your oil!