: Where My Oil Go?

ccorde
04-29-13, 08:32 PM
Hi guys. I have 06 CTS-V driven it for about 1700 miles then warning low oil message came up on the screen, had to add 1 quart of oil (5w30 full synthetic), then i had my 1st oil change, 1200 miles later i had to add 1.5 quart of oil. 52000 miles no leak nothing. This engines eat oil for breakfast? I have driven it a little faster then normal a few practice runs 0-60 a few highway passes but nothing like on a track. Engine works good no weird noises. Anybody had a similar issue? please let me know.

darkman
04-29-13, 08:41 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/208849-ls2-using-oil.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/169623-excessive-oil-consumption-06-a.html

rand49er
04-29-13, 09:50 PM
... This engines eat oil for breakfast? ...Should've gotten an LS6. :stirpot:

ccorde
04-29-13, 10:39 PM
Should've gotten an LS6. :stirpot:

I have 4 years of Extended warranty :thumbsup: and why would i want 04 or 05 with LS6? so my warranty would replace rear differential every few month?

ImEpayne
04-29-13, 10:46 PM
I have nearly the same story. '06 with 78k. Uses about 1 quart every 3k ish.

I too have an extended warrenty, I'm wondering if this issue can be determined or fixed under warrenty... I'm just afraid of 6 hours of labor for 'diagnostics' for them to tell me its not covered...

One thing mine does that often concerns me. Basically cruising at 65 and take it out of gear and brake hard ( Boulder built a highway with stop lights) MASSIVE amounts of white smoke out of the tailpipes. for a good... 3-5 seconds at the stop light. (first time it happened I literally though something was on fire back there). Is this related to my oil consumption or is this an alternate issue...

ccorde I have also tried the lucas oil treatment stuff and it seemed to prolong the oil consumption but still consuming. From reading the threads Darkman posted I am going to try a 10-30.

H-town_V
04-29-13, 11:32 PM
I have 4 years of Extended warranty :thumbsup: and why would i want 04 or 05 with LS6? so my warranty would replace rear differential every few month?

Cuz most of us with an ls6 already had the diff replaced with an 06-07 years ago under warranty.

darkman
04-29-13, 11:52 PM
From reading the threads Darkman posted I am going to try a 10-30.

If you switch from 5W-30 to 10W-30 to reduce oil consumption be sure that the high temperature viscosity is actually higher. In case the case of Mobil 1, for example, the 5W-30 has a viscosity at 100 degrees centigrade of 11.0 while the 10W-30 has a viscosity at 100 degrees centigrade of only 10.0. This is not the case however, for every brand.

RyRidesMotoX
04-30-13, 03:39 AM
One thing mine does that often concerns me. Basically cruising at 65 and take it out of gear and brake hard ( Boulder built a highway with stop lights) MASSIVE amounts of white smoke out of the tailpipes. for a good... 3-5 seconds at the stop light. (first time it happened I literally though something was on fire back there). Is this related to my oil consumption or is this an alternate issue.

White smoke is coolant, blue is oil, black is fuel (in general). You may have a different issue that needs to be addressed.

PISNUOFF
04-30-13, 08:10 AM
I had this issue with my 418. Ended up being a cracked cylinder sleeve and worn rings allowing excessive crankcase pressure and blowing oil through the PCV system and past the rings.

RyRidesMotoX
04-30-13, 07:33 PM
I had this issue with my 418. Ended up being a cracked cylinder sleeve and worn rings allowing excessive crankcase pressure and blowing oil through the PCV system and past the rings.

You literally break EVERYTHING at some point. Lol

carlson_mn
04-30-13, 08:07 PM
GM sent a letter out to LS2 GTO owners who had 6 speed manuals explaining this is normal the way the PCV works on our engines when driven with a lot of engine braking or high rpms. I added about 1.2 quart after 7k miles on mine is all though, which didn't bug me much.

darkman
04-30-13, 09:11 PM
In the overall scheme of things adding a quart of oil every once in awhile is not that bad - it is not expensive enough to spend a ton of money to eliminate; and adding oil periodically helps keep the additive package in the oil fresh. If you are fouling spark plugs, or mucking up your driveway with leakage the calculus might change, but otherwise I would not worry about it.