Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Coupe rear seat room??

12K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Chrispy 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am looking at getting a new CTS-V and most likely a wagon but very curious about rear seat room in a coupe as I have 2 kids in car seats but would love to get the coupe over the wagon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am about to buy one of them.

Thank you

Jules

#3 ·
The back seat isn't any smaller in the coupe, but there is less head room. It is also harder to get into the back seat. I think really comes down to how much trouble its worth it to you to get the coupe. I really didn't car about the back seat and wanted a coupe. Its plenty large and comfortable for 2 adults back there, as long as they aren't over 6', then the head room is going to be an issue. I can't speak to car seats specifically, there is plenty of room for them, and I believe there is all the necessary secure points, it just will take longer to get them secured because you're going to have to move and tilt the seats back in order to fit them into the seats, then move and tilt it back before you sit down. If its worth giving up 5 minutes of your time every morning, to have the coupe, then I don't think you'll be disappointed!

#4 ·
I had the same issue. The coupe is a two-seater car with the option to occasionally carry two more teens or undersized adults. Pulling the seat foward (ie pushing the button and waiting on the electric motor!) just gets old. Doing it with a small child in one hand and the diaper bag in another is just ****ing annoying.

The sedan and wagon are geared much more towards everyday use of the rear seats. But if you like something enough, you can live with almost any trade-off.

IMHO, if you just need the rears for occasional duty, like once or twice a week - then no problem. If you're using booster seats, having kids get in every day and/or have young children where you're leaning in to get them buckled up each time... the coupe will quickly wear on your patience. It's just NOT functional in that way (not to mention cargo space for strollers, etc) because of how you have to lean around the A pillar to reach back there.

Take a coupe for a long test drive, and put both seats in there, plus kids, etc. Do it twice, and see how you feel.

#5 ·
Take a coupe for a long test drive, and put both seats in there, plus kids, etc. Do it twice, and see how you feel.
Do as mentioned above, but in the rain. I have two little ones and can not imagine coming out of a store in the rain with the kids, umbrella, and bags then standing outside my car with both kids waiting on the motorized seats to move forward, then bent over with a soaked back tying them in. I would strongly consider a more practical approach. Think 4 doors. Save the coupe for when they are older. Just my 2 cents.

#7 ·
If the coupe turns out to be a mistake, can you afford to take the financial hit and switch to the wagon? Or would you have to suffer/trade down?

Also, manual or automatic? Finding a manual wagon could prove difficult (or at least require patience) if you need to acquire the extra doors later.

#9 ·
Actually the rear seats will seat two comfortably example my son is 5'11" at 200 pounds and he said it was comfy in the rear.

But getting in/out is the problem, even moving the front seat all the way forward and tiling it and moving the seat belt out of the way seems to be the coupes Achilles heel. But if you need to get in/out quickly better be a gymnast. But coming from 20 years of Corvette's the V coupe is actually a limo by that measure.

#13 ·
I agree, there is plenty of room in the back seat. It is just really hard to get in and out of. They need a better auto seatbelt and oh-shit handle somewhere. They really just should have added another 4-6 inches on the doors length with a shut assist like a high end luxery car to seal it up - that could have helped too...but it is a 4 door car turned 2 door and some of the Benz and BMW that have done the same thing have the same issue. The 335i couple is pretty hard to get into as well.

I don't mind climbing back there, I think its kind of neat; however I'm not 65 with a bad back either. It also helps if you offer your hand to whomever is getting out regardless of sex, because the wost part is just having nothing to grab on to.

#14 ·
I have 2 kids in booster seats. Ages 3 and 5. I wanted a coupe. I got a coupe. The kids can climb back there on their own. Helping them fasten their belts isn't too bad. I don't have to climb in there. They actually like climbing in. My other car is a tahoe and they prefer the V. Getting them buckled in the tahoe is just as hard frankly. Before I had the tahoe the V was my daily driver so I did the routine frequently and mastered it.

Now, if you have really small kids in a baby carrier or rear facing car seat it would be very difficult getting them in and out

#19 ·
Hey guys, im still here and thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I decided to get a 2012 low mile wagon and am just finalizing the deal. Only one for sale in Canada and it will come out to me from Ontario as i live in Calgary.

I look forward to being apart of this forum now and learning much more from you all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.