Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1991 Blower Motor?

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  cadillac_al 
#1 ·
On Sunday I went for a little drive. Went I got home and shut off the car, the blower motor kept on running. I turned the car back on and hit the off button on the ecc. Still kept running. It seems to be stuck on high. I ended up unplugging the purple wire going to the top of the blower housing under the hood. Anyone have any ideas?

#5 ·
Ok, so i changed out the ecc head unit with one that i got from a junk yard last year. The blower still stays on regardless if the car is on or not. But it did resolve the AC compressor always being on. Now it actually turns off when it's suppose to. How do I get to the resister? On a side note, what is the black box just under the ecc head unit?

#8 ·
Ok, I don't understand why they are so expensive. I took mine apart to see if it could be repaired, but there is nothing repairable on it. O'reilly's wants $280 for it and rockauto is $145. What other cars have the same part that i can find in the junkyard?

#9 ·
This part is so common to fail that they are impossible to find at a reasonable price. No junk yard around here even have them.
Rockauto stopped carrying the one for the 80's broughams and they were twice the price of yours even when they did carry them.

They can be repaired by someone who knows what they're doing. The silicone (or whatever it is) needs to be removed and the components can be replaced.

#12 ·
I went through tons of them on my old Buick.
I think it might be more common for them to fail up here in Canada since the blowers get so much use through the winter for defrost.
When the blower starts to get older, it draws more current and puts more load on the resistor unit.
When the one went in my car. I could only find one in all the wreckers within hundreds of miles. They wanted $80 non-refundable for it. I bought it and it turned out to be shot too. I managed to convince them to give me a store credit and picked up a new windshield. I finally found a NOS one at a wreckers in the states that shipped it up here.
If you have a working one for the 80's, I'm more than happy to pay $30 for you to add that into the box of stuff you're sending, I'd feel a better having a spare.

#13 ·
j2rossit said:
I went through tons of them on my old Buick.
I think it might be more common for them to fail up here in Canada since the blowers get so much use through the winter for defrost.
When the blower starts to get older, it draws more current and puts more load on the resistor unit.
When the one went in my car. I could only find one in all the wreckers within hundreds of miles. They wanted $80 non-refundable for it. I bought it and it turned out to be shot too. I managed to convince them to give me a store credit and picked up a new windshield. I finally found a NOS one at a wreckers in the states that shipped it up here.
If you have a working one for the 80's, I'm more than happy to pay $30 for you to add that into the box of stuff you're sending, I'd feel a better having a spare.
I guess I'll go pick one up for you then. Theres a couple caddys in the yard that were really well maintained so they should be good.

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
Well It took 8 months, now my blower is on its way to the trash. This past week it started to have its own mind. I could get it to work by smacking the blower. Now its not working at all. I already placed my order through amazon. They always seem to have what I need for a little bit cheaper than anyone else. I bought the AC Delco one with the scroll fan blade. I figure the original lasted 23 years, that a genuine AC Delco was the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.