: EXT Tailgate lock.

65kaiser
04-29-13, 03:52 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the tailgate lock? My new to me 2004 lock will not work with either of the original keys. It does turn it about to the 2 o'clock position but then stops. The previous owner says it was never replaced.

Txao1051
04-29-13, 06:56 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the tailgate lock? My new to me 2004 lock will not work with either of the original keys. It does turn it about to the 2 o'clock position but then stops. The previous owner says it was never replaced.

I have the same issue I have to keep turning and finally forced it. After I unlocked it I left it alone for fear of bending the key

jjtwomey
04-30-13, 12:20 AM

Try pushing the tailgate in as you turn it seems to work when mine gets stuck

coprod230
10-23-13, 05:47 AM
Had the same issues with my 2006 ext not long ago. I found that it was seized. Spay a lot of lubricant on the mechanism inside the tail gate behind the handle. With the tailgate in the unlock position work the handle a lot. If you still have the issue. Open the tailgate and look on both sides where the safety straps are. There are two star bolts that need to be removed. After removing you will pull the latch out which is attached to a metal rod which is attatched to the locking mechanism. Lubricate and work by hand. Repeat to other side. That did the trick for me. Drove me nuts till I got off my a$$ and figured it out.

65kaiser
10-23-13, 08:47 AM
Sorry for not posting an update to this thread. I had to remove the lock, lots of rust and it was all bound up. After much spray lube and manipulation its all fixed now.