: Remote transmission filter, anyone?

mckellyb
04-29-13, 03:05 PM
I've been kicking the 'sealed' aspect of our transmission around for a while, and I'd really like to put an external filter on it.

Two reasons; 1. An external spin-on will both likely filter better, and will certainly be much easier to change, and 2., it'd give me a way to access the transmission fluid line for easier fluid changing.

I know there is a fill port on the trans, but looking under there, yesterday, I not only didn't see one, it's horribly crowded in that area.

Now, I'd have to leave a gutted filter in the pan, as that's the pickup point, but IMO, that's not a huge deal.

However, I don't see a good way to tap into the lines, or for that matter, a decent place to mount the hardware for a system such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XONTPM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Ideas?

dannyquest
04-29-13, 03:48 PM
mckellyb, This filter kit on amazon call out for a ph13 filter. What size is the filter. If its a large one it would be hard to fit under the car. Danny

Submariner409
04-29-13, 04:13 PM
Why ???

Remember - transmission fluid is not subject to anything close to the contamination that engine oil is ........... today's transmissions will go 100K+ miles with the fluid remaining absolutely clean and clear.

Your transmission may have the new DEXRON-VI synthetic fluid in it ............

dkozloski
04-29-13, 04:32 PM
GM designed sealed transmissions because scientific investigation showed that oil contamination mainly came from people tinkering around with them and introducing crap as they "serviced" them. Forget transmission flushes.

KRSTS
04-29-13, 07:15 PM
Don't worry about the transmission. Just drive the car and have the transmission professionally serviced when and how the owner's manual suggests.

EChas3
04-29-13, 08:43 PM
I don't see the harm in a small spin-off filter. How about up near the radiator, where there's a tranmission fluid line going to the cooler.

dkozloski
04-29-13, 09:46 PM
I don't see the harm in a small spin-off filter. How about up near the radiator, where there's a tranmission fluid line going to the cooler.It'll freeze solid in cold weather.

EChas3
04-29-13, 10:21 PM
Koz, with a Winter evening that lasts 6 weeks, I wouldn't expect you to consider such additions. Aren't you more of an OEM guy, anyway?

mckellyb
04-29-13, 11:26 PM
Wait, so my transmission oil is going to freeze in cold weather?

Nice try. :-)

Plus, around here, 'paralysingly cold' is anything below +30F. It's pitiful.

More than anything, I want a way to fully drain and refill the transmission. "Lifetime" fluids are a scam.

And this comes from someone who has used Mobil 1 for 20 years, fully embracing 10K mile oil changes from the beginning. One vehicle, I did 15K changes, just 'cause I hoped it'd die sooner.

No luck.

Danny, that PH13 filter is not small...'bout 4" across and tick over 5" tall.

dkozloski
04-30-13, 01:10 PM
The enemy of transmission oil is heat. The owners of cars with a transmission OLM could verify this. Those in cool climates never saw the OLM budge from 100%. Those driving in the desert saw it drop like the engine OLM. By the way, I have six feet of snow in my front yard and more is coming down as I write this.

mckellyb
04-30-13, 02:03 PM
Yeah...I've been cutting the grass for six weeks...

Trade ya!

EChas3
04-30-13, 10:13 PM
We finally saw 70, next I knew it was 86. Friday's high is forecast at 50.

I miss last year!

curtc
05-01-13, 12:00 AM
We finally saw 70, next I knew it was 86. Friday's high is forecast at 50.

I miss last year!

Same! I grilled the last 4 nights....finally!!!! 70+ degrees!!!

Back down to 40 tomorrow though...damn!!!!

carter's_sts
05-01-13, 12:35 AM
I'm sick of the extended winter! :mad:

curtc
05-01-13, 10:13 PM
I'm sick of the extended winter! :mad:

3"-6" of fresh snow expected in my area tonight/tomorrow...NOT COOL!!!!

Sitting at a balmy 34 degrees right now. MN weather really frustrates me sometimes...