: Rear differential seal replacement cost?

JFC
04-29-13, 11:07 AM
I have a 2004 CTS-V with a leaky rear differential. It is not eligible for the differential recall according to the dealer. I bought it used in 2007 and the previous owner might have had the work done, or it might be an ineligible VIN.

The local shop wants about $200 for parts (axle seal, pinion seal, lubricant) and $600 for labor. Is this a reasonable amount? It seems others have paid about half as much but I'm not sure if the work done was identical. This place is usually much cheaper than a dealer.

darkman
04-29-13, 01:15 PM
The standard flat-rate allowance to replace the pinion seal is 1.8 hours. The allowance for the axle output seals, which involves removing the axles, is 2.4 for a single side, or 4.3 hours for both sides done at the same time. Hourly labor rates, of course, vary by geographic region and type of shop.

JFC
04-29-13, 01:23 PM
The standard flat-rate allowance to replace the pinion seal is 1.8 hours. The allowance for the axle output seals, which involves removing the axles, is 2.4 for a single side, or 4.3 hours for both sides done at the same time. Hourly labor rates, of course, vary by geographic region and type of shop.

Thanks. That's consistent with the labor amount. I didn't expect the job to be that big.

Is there any sort of preventive maintenance that ought to be done to a 9 year old CTS-V while the axle is off, to save the cost of pulling out the axle again later? Like some cars should have the water pump changed along with the timing belt.

odla
04-29-13, 08:05 PM
Maybe upgrade to better axles.

rand49er
04-29-13, 08:48 PM
Seems to me, the shop in our town charged under $100, and he put the Amsoil in it I gave him, too.

JazMiller
04-29-13, 11:13 PM
I didn't touch the pinion seal, but I recently upgraded axles from stock to the DSS full race axles purchased used from a forum member. I went into the axle upgrade knowing I was doing the axle output seals on both sides.

Local shop charged an arm and a leg for the seals compared to online sources (I think it was close to $30/ea) and I scored two 75/90 AMSOIL jugs off Kijiji ($10/ea I think).

My driver's side took a long time to do - hit a couple snags, I was unfamiliar with the process, and I wasn't in any hurry. I managed to burr threads on my upper ball joint when I was taking things apart so I had to go about a fix for that, and I had to drop exhaust by myself in the garage with the rear on jackstands.

Passenger side went completely to the book, I had the car up and the axle and seal on that side reassembled in 3 hours with a fluid fill.

If the pass side had gone the same as the driver's started out on mine, I'd have thought $600 for labour would be a good deal! But after things are said and done now, I'm happy that I did it on my own.

No info on the seals specifically here, but Lolly did a write up on the axles, and without pics it's still helpful.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/172492-hendrix-axle-install.html

-Jason