: 1968 Cadillac Flower Car

SafariOne
04-29-13, 08:36 AM
This is new to me....has anyone ever heard of a Cadillac Flower Car?? This guy near me has one for sale . He claims that the cars were made by Miami Coach Works and in very limited numbers. It apparently is on a 2 Dr DeVille Chassis with the 472 setup. He wants $9500 for it because of it's rarity I'm gathering. It looks like a large El Camino and he calls it the Mirage style. Apparently it's used in the funeral services business to transport flowers to the internment site. The car looks really good with 80,000 on her.

cadillac kevin
04-29-13, 09:08 AM
This is new to me....has anyone ever heard of a Cadillac Flower Car?? This guy near me has one for sale . He claims that the cars were made by Miami Coach Works and in very limited numbers. It apparently is on a 2 Dr DeVille Chassis with the 472 setup. He wants $9500 for it because of it's rarity I'm gathering. It looks like a large El Camino and he calls it the Mirage style. Apparently it's used in the funeral services business to transport flowers to the internment site. The car looks really good with 80,000 on her.

Yup....they are a real thing. They are rare because they were not cheap to buy when new. As for the rarity making them worth 9500, not sure about that.

csbuckn
04-29-13, 09:12 AM
Yep. There was some posted here not too long ago, not sure where. Some came with features like a working tailgate or side storages but had a basic commercial interior with no radio and basic leather panels. It'd be cool to see a 68 flower car with the high compression big motor...bet I could get it down the track fast.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-29-13, 09:39 AM
Indeed. Curtis (the mentor of The Blues Brothers) drove a 1968 Flower Car in the movie. He had the back loaded up with orphanage kids delivering flyers for the concert.

MrHolland
04-29-13, 11:22 AM
Evel Knievel also had one. Put up some pics if possible!!

jayoldschool
04-29-13, 11:52 AM
Evel's car wasn't a flower car. It was a custom pickup. He had more than one, as well. Lots of info out there. Flower cars aren't really rare, but they are definitely scarcer than limos or hearses. Plenty of coachbuilt Caddies out there to pick from... pickups, flower cars, limos (short, long, factory, coach, highroof, six door, etc), hearse, ambulance...

MoistCabbage
04-29-13, 12:53 PM
he calls it the Mirage style.The Cadillac Mirage was made by Traditional Coach Works. They started off as '75 and '76 Coupe Devilles, and were not flower cars.

MrHolland
04-29-13, 02:25 PM
Well well, learn something new everyday!!!! Thank you Mr.Oldschool, you're always on the facts!!

jayoldschool
04-29-13, 03:55 PM
There's guys on here that know a lot more about coach Cads that I do...

I would love a Cadillac station wagon!

cadillac kevin
04-29-13, 04:32 PM
Evel's car wasn't a flower car. It was a custom pickup. He had more than one, as well. Lots of info out there. Flower cars aren't really rare, but they are definitely scarcer than limos or hearses. Plenty of coachbuilt Caddies out there to pick from... pickups, flower cars, limos (short, long, factory, coach, highroof, six door, etc), hearse, ambulance...

Once on CL I saw a factory looking 90 350 brougham with suicide doors.....I wonder if it was some sort of mini limo conversion? It had no interior shots of the rear area unfortunately (If I had the 3k at the time, I definitely would have looked into buying it. It was sweet looking.)

YoshiMan
04-29-13, 04:32 PM
The Guy I bought my 75' CDV from had one of those Fleetwood Brougham Castilian Wagons, It threw me for a loop and i had to stop and take a closer look at it, becuase at the time even with all the research I had done, I didn't know such a thing existed!

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/pictures/1976_Cadillac_Castilian_back.jpg

Those flower cars probablty wouldn't be a bad investment, and could have some practical uses too so long as it had a drop down tail gate

http://www.mmchapter.com/images/featured/Miller_Meteor_Embassy_flower_car_1299.jpg

Cadillac Giovanni
04-29-13, 05:00 PM
I love those Fleetwood Wagons. The ultimate road trip cars, right there.

The-Dullahan
05-01-13, 05:58 PM
You rang?

Flower cars, eh?

The reason why they remained a rarity and are deemed (by some) to be of high value is that they are often seen as "The last of the hand-built Crown Jewels". they were actually typically used to carry caskets, not flowers. Only people with a lot of money invested in their funeral would have a Hearse AND Flower Car (Often known in the industry as a "Coupe De Fleur") present in a funeral procession. The casket could be carried either on the stainless steel bed in the rear or in a hidden compartment located beneath it (which was not on all of them and is more common on late-model cars). The name comes from that whether or not they had a casket in the bed, beneath it or did not have one at all, they would be used to display large floral sprays and arrangements.

As for the price $9,500 is not bad for something of that rarity and vintage, but that IS quite a lot. It would have to be in fantastic shape, inside and out, cosmetically and mechanically to realistically be deemed that valuable.

----------

I love those Fleetwood Wagons. The ultimate road trip cars, right there.

I'll take that as a compliment towards my car.

Aron9000
05-01-13, 11:55 PM
Most funeral homes didn't have a flower car. If your funeral procession did have a flower car, it was a real sign of status.

http://humanflowerproject.com/images/uploads/flower-car-godfather475.jpg

The-Dullahan
05-02-13, 01:03 PM
My Mum had three. None were ever used for services during her ownership of them.

By the nineties, they became rather uncommon. There were and still ARE Flower Cars being made, but they declined jn popularity during the eighties and were seldom used thereafter.

jayoldschool
05-02-13, 06:29 PM
Dullahan, have you seen the episode of Cajun Pawn Stars with the 67 Cad hearse?

The-Dullahan
05-04-13, 11:53 PM
I do not watch television, so nope.

Every so often a Hearse becomes famous from the teletube though and someone tells me about it and I'm all like "You mean (insert friend's name)'s Hearse?" and have to dig out albums.

This also happens with music videos and one of Luke's album covers.