: My 1,200 mile ATS broke down today

stevenzoz
04-28-13, 07:14 PM
So last week it started with my check engine light. On Wednesday, the check engine light came on and in the message center it said 'engine power is reduced'. Thursday it was just the check engine light. Then I brought the car in to the dealer Friday, at which point everything seemed back to normal. They did an error code check on my car and said that there was some sort of problem with the oil pressure. They said they checked for leaks and it all seemed OK.

Today, I was driving back from a weekend away (about 150 miles or so) and the interior chime started beeping and the message center said 'oil pressure low, please turn off car'. So I pulled into a rest stop, at which point the car started stalling and sounding like a Mac Truck. The car starts but does not run or drive. Cadillac Roadside assistance wanted to charge me $200 to bring it to my local dealer since I was kind of far (but under 100 miles). So much for good service. I used AAA instead.

I have a 2.0t AWD. I'm so annoyed and upset. /end vent

SLA
04-28-13, 07:52 PM
Ugh. Hopefully this isn't the start of pickup tube failures.

73JPS
04-28-13, 08:42 PM
Cadillac Roadside assistance wanted to charge me $200 to bring it to my local dealer since I was kind of far (but under 100 miles). So much for good service. I used AAA instead.

That is very wrong of them :(

Stevo Supremo
04-28-13, 08:59 PM
Cadillac Roadside assistance wanted to charge me $200 to bring it to my local dealer since I was kind of far (but under 100 miles). So much for good service. I used AAA instead.

they did what?!?! **** that, thats wrong

stevenzoz
04-28-13, 09:26 PM
They said they would bring me and the car to a dealership near where I broke down (and would then arrange a taxi for me if I needed one). When I asked if I could have it taken to my dealer at home, they said they had to check the charge and she came back with an "estimated" $200.

pissedoffwookiee
04-28-13, 09:45 PM
They said they would bring me and the car to a dealership near where I broke down (and would then arrange a taxi for me if I needed one). When I asked if I could have it taken to my dealer at home, they said they had to check the charge and she came back with an "estimated" $200.

that's what they're supposed to do, they will take you to the nearest dealer no matter the distance free of charge and the dealer is to give you a rental on caddy's dime.

you asked them to not do that, and I'm sure they got worried caddy wouldn't pay them because it breaks the rules

stevenzoz
04-28-13, 09:58 PM
The dealership they were going to bring me to was closed on Sundays, like most I know. So no chance for a rental. It was just easier to try and get my car to my house, which is what I did with AAA, for free. I'll see if my dealer will pick it up from my house tomorrow along with me and then i'll get a loaner.

wongluk
04-28-13, 10:39 PM

sorry your car broke down but your story about caddy road side assistance was a bit misleading or you left out some info...

stevenzoz
04-28-13, 10:56 PM
sorry your car broke down but your story about caddy road side assistance was a bit misleading or you left out some info...

Sorry for the confusion. But had roadside assistance got me and the 2 passengers I was with, it wouldn't have helped me more than AAA could have.

pissedoffwookiee
04-29-13, 05:52 AM
Sorry for the confusion. But had roadside assistance got me and the 2 passengers I was with, it wouldn't have helped me more than AAA could have.

quick tip, in cases where the dealer is the breakdown such as in this case where they were closed take it to them anyway and have a rental company pick you up save all receipts, caddy will pick up the tab, they'll do that for a hotel to if you get stuck and the breakdown interrupts your trip, only rule of thumb is be reasonable they won't pay for a Bentley rental just up to the size of your car being repaired. they consider roadside assistance a courtesy and reserve the right to make judgement calls. I've seen this program which is suppose to please backfire at Multi line dealerships. case in point caddy roadside assistance offers a free rental and gmc does not, so you'll see two customers in the same lobby not treated the same, generally I've seen these places offer everyone rentals but then you get the terrain customer upset that they weren't given an SRX can't win em all, I guess

stevenzoz
04-29-13, 08:15 AM
quick tip, in cases where the dealer is the breakdown such as in this case where they were closed take it to them anyway and have a rental company pick you up save all receipts, caddy will pick up the tab, they'll do that for a hotel to if you get stuck and the breakdown interrupts your trip, only rule of thumb is be reasonable they won't pay for a Bentley rental just up to the size of your car being repaired. they consider roadside assistance a courtesy and reserve the right to make judgement calls. I've seen this program which is suppose to please backfire at Multi line dealerships. case in point caddy roadside assistance offers a free rental and gmc does not, so you'll see two customers in the same lobby not treated the same, generally I've seen these places offer everyone rentals but then you get the terrain customer upset that they weren't given an SRX can't win em all, I guess

Thanks for the tip! Now I know for next time

Stevo Supremo
04-29-13, 09:54 AM
ah, so it was free but they charged to bring it to yours.. well then lol

sorry to hear it broke down though, keep us posted

stevenzoz
04-29-13, 01:50 PM
My service advisor said the oil pump failed and that likely the whole engine needs to be replaced. This is really unacceptable for a car that's a month old.

SLA
04-29-13, 02:14 PM
Yikes. Hopefully this is just a very isolated incident.

stevenzoz
04-29-13, 07:21 PM
I'm kind of uncomfortable having the dealer giving me a new car with its second engine, it makes me sort of concerned for the future since its brand new.

Hoosier Daddy
04-29-13, 07:34 PM
I'm kind of uncomfortable having the dealer giving me a new car with its second engine, it makes me sort of concerned for the future since its brand new.
Since that will reduce the car's value when you sell it, you may be able to get some diminished value compensation from Cadillac. Something like GM's longest, most complete extended warranty, for example.

And if you really don't want a car with a replacement engine, it might be worth looking at your location's lemon laws. That by itself wouldn't be enough here, but maybe where you live....

stevenzoz
04-29-13, 11:13 PM
Since that will reduce the car's value when you sell it, you may be able to get some diminished value compensation from Cadillac. Something like GM's longest, most complete extended warranty, for example.

And if you really don't want a car with a replacement engine, it might be worth looking at your location's lemon laws. That by itself wouldn't be enough here, but maybe where you live....

Well the car is a lease.. But it still affects the residual at the end because of the lost value like you said. My lemon laws basically say I would have to let them replace the engine and if a major problem arises THEN they can replace the whole car

E365
04-30-13, 12:01 AM
Why would the value of the car be diminished if they install a new engine? A crash fix, yes. But replacing mechanical parts?

Stevo Supremo
04-30-13, 10:40 AM
Why would the value of the car be diminished if they install a new engine? A crash fix, yes. But replacing mechanical parts?

well really think about it..

you're looking for a used ATS.

One has 50,000miles no real issues, for sale for $24,000

another has 50,0000miles had a major motor failure and had to have the engine swapped for $24,000?

I'd want the first one lol

Dave3283
04-30-13, 11:12 AM
It will be a new motor, fresh from the factory. Unless the techs are incompetent....all will be good. I'd take a car with a newer, not re-built motor.

SLA
04-30-13, 11:36 AM
We're not talking about a numbers matching 1970 GTO Judge here.

A new motor isn't going to change the value of your car, especially since there are only 1200 miles on the chassis.

stevenzoz
04-30-13, 12:08 PM
It will be a new motor, fresh from the factory. Unless the techs are incompetent....all will be good. I'd take a car with a newer, not re-built motor.

Though what are the chances they've done an engine swap in the ats? I'll probably be the guinea pig

gfxbt
04-30-13, 10:49 PM
At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you said you leased the car, and if that is true, it will be gone in two to three years. On the plus side, you can really beat on the thing and if anything goes wrong, you can blame it on the engine swap haha

btleier
05-01-13, 06:36 AM
Well you can't expect out of the mass production of engines for a main stream car there isn't going to occasional failures. For now I think you should just have the motor replace, and be happy you have a warranty. If this becomes part of a larger problem then I could understand your concern, but for now I think you are over reacting

stevenzoz
05-01-13, 03:32 PM
Well you can't expect out of the mass production of engines for a main stream car there isn't going to occasional failures. For now I think you should just have the motor replace, and be happy you have a warranty. If this becomes part of a larger problem then I could understand your concern, but for now I think you are over reacting

I feel like many would have a similar reaction if the engine died on their brand new car.

rspitler
05-01-13, 04:55 PM
When I was growing up, my neighbor bought a brand new 1970 Monte Carlo with a 454. As he was driving off the dealers lot, the engine froze and had to be replaced. So yes, things like this happen. Although I too would be pissed if it happened to me.

stevenzoz
05-01-13, 07:15 PM
Although I too would be pissed if it happened to me.

That's all i'm trying to say lol

Ihuntv8
05-02-13, 04:32 PM
I'd be more upset with roadside assistance, especially if I didn't get a caddy for rental! My cadillac dealer gives you a upgraded car from your current model if your car is being repaired or having any recall done!
I do have to say out of all cars I have owned, the Cadillac dealership has been the best dealing with! They also said that if/when the ats-v arrives I will be getting a call!
Sucks oil pump failed, hope they take care of you!

Anthony31188
05-02-13, 05:10 PM
I'd be more upset with roadside assistance, especially if I didn't get a caddy for rental! My cadillac dealer gives you a upgraded car from your current model if your car is being repaired or having any recall done!
I do have to say out of all cars I have owned, the Cadillac dealership has been the best dealing with! They also said that if/when the ats-v arrives I will be getting a call!
Sucks oil pump failed, hope they take care of you!

My cadillac dealership uses Hertz for their rental cars. I got a chevy malibu last time my car was getting repaired...it was a real pile.

Ihuntv8
05-02-13, 05:22 PM
^i would be very irritated at that!! I'd probably never buy another thing from that dealer! I wouldn't even take a free t-shirt and use it to start a fire!!

pissedoffwookiee
05-03-13, 02:04 AM
My cadillac dealership uses Hertz for their rental cars. I got a chevy malibu last time my car was getting repaired...it was a real pile.

A lot of dealerships do that, there's a dealer in my area where hertz is on the premises, they do try to match or slightly upgrade the rental, give you an Escalade if your Denali is being serviced for instance, the issue is twofold, some dealers maintain their own courtesy fleet but that is usually contingent upon the factory paying for the diminished value of the car for its mileage (usually an additional special rebate at time if sale). the other issue is the rental company is subject to their rental inventory when the dealer calls.

thebigjimsho
05-06-13, 02:41 PM
I've never understood the hate on getting a rental that wasn't a Cadillac. Guess I'm not so stuck up...

Stevo Supremo
05-07-13, 10:01 AM
long as they would tow my ATS for free I wouldn't give a damn what I got for a rental lol. Hell a Pontiac Fire fly would be fun to trash around for a few days haha

probee773
05-10-13, 09:37 AM

You will be fine. This is an isolated incident. It is very unlikely that your replacement engine and oil pump will have any issues. Unfortunately, all car brands have similar issues from time to time. It is impossible to ensure that 100% of cars that are built from parts manufactured and assembled all over the world will work as designed and be problem free 100% of the time.

louieftw
05-10-13, 11:55 AM
There are always going to be part failures, even with BRAND NEW parts. My ABS light came on at 300 miles and I had to have the sensor replaced. Funniest part is that my Cadillac dealership wouldn't loan me a car because I wasn't 25 - I was good enough to buy the car though. :cookoo: I promptly took my business to another Cadillac/Buick/GMC dealer that gladly gave me an SRX loaner while they serviced my ATS.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-10-13, 04:51 PM
There are always going to be part failures, even with BRAND NEW parts. My ABS light came on at 300 miles and I had to have the sensor replaced. Funniest part is that my Cadillac dealership wouldn't loan me a car because I wasn't 25 - I was good enough to buy the car though. :cookoo: I promptly took my business to another Cadillac/Buick/GMC dealer that gladly gave me an SRX loaner while they serviced my ATS.

Hello louieftw,

I am sorry your Cadillac dealership wouldn't work with getting you a loaner car. Happy to hear another dealership was glad to work with you and give you a loaner vehicle! I hope everything with your ATS is running appropriately now and you enjoy driving it around :)

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Hoosier Daddy
05-10-13, 07:07 PM
I am sorry your Cadillac dealership wouldn't work with getting you a loaner car....

The issue is undoubtedly that his dealer uses a rental car company for loaners. Maybe Cadillac needs to encourage such dealerships to have their own loaners for under 25 customers. If dealers get a rating from Cadillac maybe deduct a few points if a dealer won't provide a loaner car. That really is not a minor issue since Cadillac touts that as a selling point.

z06bigbird
05-11-13, 01:44 AM
My service advisor said the oil pump failed and that likely the whole engine needs to be replaced. This is really unacceptable for a car that's a month old.

Would you be happier if the pump failed at 55k miles?? Think about it. At least it is under full warranty. You will get a new engine cause their probably are not refurbs at this point.

Realistically, any vehicle has perhaps 5000 parts. Think about it: We are all lucky that we do not see many more part failures with any brand car. Wait until we start importing parts from China.

----------

Time to jack the thread.

Lexus dealer employee (oil changer employee) drained oil on my boss's RL. Car ran extremely well for a few blocks when engine froze up. Not sure what happened, but oil changed admitted that he forgot to refill the oil. Oh, well, another new engine.

Lincoln dealer porter backed town car out of service lane and ripped two doors off side of car. (Bring it back tomorrow; we will take car of it; please do not let tonight's rain spoil the leather as we are not responsible for consequential damages (my comments). lol

----------

^i would be very irritated at that!! I'd probably never buy another thing from that dealer! I wouldn't even take a free t-shirt and use it to start a fire!!

wow!! Sounds like you might be a BMW owner. (That is how BMW owners react; check out their forums. BTW, what is worse than a BMW dealership?

Ans: A BMW customer.

----------

Insurance company guidelines/specifications.

stevenzoz
05-11-13, 04:30 PM
Cadillac approved my request for a replacement vehicle last night. Bonus is that I can get any ATS I want (I have to work out a new deal -____-) so I can get the options I wished I would've got on the first one. All I basically did was open a case file with GM customer service and they took care of the rest. I still have to pick up my vehicle from the dealership in the meantime.

----------

I didn't like though, how it was general GM customer service, and not specifically for Cadillac. I felt like I didn't get the same level of good customer service I got from my dealership. They did a bad job of following up with me during the process (said they would call one day and did not, on 3 separate occasions).

Hoosier Daddy
05-11-13, 07:17 PM
Cadillac approved my request for a replacement vehicle last night. Bonus is that I can get any ATS I want (I have to work out a new deal -____-) so I can get the options I wished I would've got on the first one. All I basically did was open a case file with GM customer service and they took care of the rest. I still have to pick up my vehicle from the dealership in the meantime.
Congratulations.

And good job GM! Good for the customer and good for GM. I've seen Ford do absolutely anything to avoid taking a car back and the ill will it generated on the net.

I didn't like though, how it was general GM customer service, and not specifically for Cadillac. I felt like I didn't get the same level of good customer service I got from my dealership. They did a bad job of following up with me during the process (said they would call one day and did not, on 3 separate occasions).
I guess that answers the "half empty or half full" question.

RemaxAl
05-11-13, 09:35 PM
Stopped buying GM 25 years ago because of crap products and crap service. Not a lot has changed, 2 weeks in on my 2013 ATS. Hopefully it turns around. Should have stuck with Japaneses cars. Nothing special just good cars that run.

thebigjimsho
05-11-13, 10:53 PM
Both of my Vs were stellar. GM is kicking it right now...

Hoosier Daddy
05-12-13, 12:17 AM
Stopped buying GM 25 years ago because of crap products and crap service. Not a lot has changed
Not changed? So.... you are saying that for the last 25 years GM was in the habit of giving customers new upgraded cars when there was a serious problem? And that is crap in your mind?

I'm not defending GM. I stopped buying them too about the same time for the same reasons. But that GM did NOT give customers a new car, better than they bought, when the one they bought let them down. It's too early to say if my ATS is better than GMs of old (the signs are good) but GM definitely is better.

louieftw
05-12-13, 01:28 AM
The issue is undoubtedly that his dealer uses a rental car company for loaners. Maybe Cadillac needs to encourage such dealerships to have their own loaners for under 25 customers. If dealers get a rating from Cadillac maybe deduct a few points if a dealer won't provide a loaner car. That really is not a minor issue since Cadillac touts that as a selling point.

Actually, the contrary is true. I was able to get a loaner vehicle through Enterprise no problem. Last month, my dealer switched to a GM operated fleet of loaner vehicles (Cadillacs, obviously) and their one stipulation is that you must be 25... I also thought that it was pretty funny the service manager told me that I should just get someone old enough to sign the papers. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, if you're going to loop-hole me like that, why don't you just put my birth year as 1988 in the computer? That seems a little bit more reasonable than driving around a loaner which isn't even loaned to me to begin with. Ridiculous.

----------

Insurance company guidelines/specifications.

And yet, the GMC/Buick/Cadillac dealer a few miles further away loaned me one no problem...

stevenzoz
05-12-13, 12:28 PM
And yet, the GMC/Buick/Cadillac dealer a few miles further away loaned me one no problem...

It all depends on the insurance of the dealer. I asked my dealer before I bought my car if I could get loaners (I'm 22) and they said it was 18 and up.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-12-13, 12:35 PM

----------

Hello stevenzoz,

I apologize you feel General Motors customer service did not meet your expectations. However, congratulations on getting an ATS with options that you want. I am happy to hear General Motors was able to work with you and help provide you with the vehicle you want. If you have other questions or concerns please private message us. Enjoy driving your vehicle around once you pick it up from the dealership!

Regards,

Laura M.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-12-13, 04:21 PM
Stopped buying GM 25 years ago because of crap products and crap service. Not a lot has changed, 2 weeks in on my 2013 ATS. Hopefully it turns around. Should have stuck with Japaneses cars. Nothing special just good cars that run.

I am sorry you feel that way RemaxAl. Are you experiencing any issues or concerns with your 2013 ATS right now? Feel free to private message me on this forum if you would like to discuss any concerns you have.

Regards,

Laura M.

RemaxAl
05-13-13, 11:19 PM
The Dealer found the rear main seal leaking. Changing it out tomorrow. Gave me a new Buick Regal for a loaner. Good car!

stevenzoz
05-22-13, 05:00 PM
WOW guys... GM hooked me up.. I was paying 279 (298 after the tire insurance) a month for my 2.0 standard which was 40,600. They are putting me in a performance stickered at just over 50k for only $20 more a month.

liqidvenom
05-28-13, 09:11 PM
WOW guys... GM hooked me up.. I was paying 279 (298 after the tire insurance) a month for my 2.0 standard which was 40,600. They are putting me in a performance stickered at just over 50k for only $20 more a month.

and people said they wished they didnt have to deal with general motors customer service lol.

congrats on getting this all sorted out. GM has treated my v pretty well so i have no complaints.

bravnik
05-29-13, 10:27 AM
Gratz man. Personally I have never been more impressed with my Cadi dealer and the Cadillac brand overall.

Dave623
05-30-13, 09:07 AM
@stevenzoz -- If you don't mind my asking, was opening a case file a headache or was it a painless process. I'm opening one
next week. I've had my ATS for six months and I've had chronic, sporadic, intermittent electrical issues since day one. Been in
to service five times and dealer can't find anything wrong. Service manager told me I've got more than enough documentation.

stevenzoz
06-02-13, 01:44 PM
@stevenzoz -- If you don't mind my asking, was opening a case file a headache or was it a painless process. I'm opening one
next week. I've had my ATS for six months and I've had chronic, sporadic, intermittent electrical issues since day one. Been in
to service five times and dealer can't find anything wrong. Service manager told me I've got more than enough documentation.

It wasn't really that bad. The only part that irked me was their response time (Its GM customer service, not Cadillac customer service). They would never follow up with me, etc. But because of that, my case was escalated to the highest it could go, and that's what helped me out a lot. The whole process took about 3-4 weeks. It's supposed to be quicker if you own the car (leasing and dealing with the leasing company buyback adds another week to the process (mine was a lease)). They needed very little from me while they were figuring everything out. They also said that my ATS was the only one in the entire country who's engine failed. So I'm sure that helped to. But now GM owns my car and will be taking it apart and checking the black box to figure out exactly why my car was screwed. But I must say, in my replacement 2.0, the engine sounds different and doesn't have the 'burning turbo smell' my first one had. When I took delivery, it had 250 miles, which leads me to believe whoever drove it from the other dealer (it was a dealer swap), beat the hell out of it.

Dave623
06-02-13, 05:46 PM
@stevenzoz -- I just sent an email to Cadillac and will follow-up with GM if need be. My ATS has the tremble at idle and after six months, it's now at the point of where it's stalled four times in less than a month. Electrical issues are ridiculous and everything happens after locking the car. Speedometer moves by itself, horn has gone off spontaneously and so has vehicle locator. XM drops out in open areas with no obstructions -- had no signal at all on Friday and yesterday, it came back on but the center display and driver info center showed two different stations playing. Sounds like ground issues but no one has a clue. Dealer insists on a computer code or reproducing issues. Problem is, I told then they need to drive the car and then lock the doors. Each time I get the car back -- 5 times now -- they've never driven it -- no change in mileage. My neighbor is a retired GM service consultant/tech. She feels with the info I emailed to Caddy, something will be done.