: 2002 3rd brake light.

coastie13
04-27-13, 06:53 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Escalade and the 3rd brake light isn't working. Also the switch to lock in the back or the cig. lighter are not working. I checked the power to the 3rd brake light and didn't get any. The mech. said it wasn't the blubs and Cadillac said they wanted $600.00 to fix.

Can anyone help or lead me in the right direction?

Thanks.

shore
04-27-13, 07:21 PM
you need to post this in the right section. This is the 07-up section.

MrHolland
04-27-13, 08:07 PM
Moved to the proper section.

Welcome to the forum!! Lots of good people and info in here. Enjoy your stay!!!

the cadillac man
04-27-13, 08:24 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Escalade and the 3rd brake light isn't working. Also the switch to lock in the back or the cig. lighter are not working. I checked the power to the 3rd brake light and didn't get any. The mech. said it wasn't the blubs and Cadillac said they wanted $600.00 to fix.

Can anyone help or lead me in the right direction?

Thanks.

There is a fuse labeled cigar in the under hood fuse box
Along with one label chmsl
Not sure on the lock switch

Logandiagnostic
04-28-13, 11:12 AM
It can be confusing...The Cadillac dealership solution to the problem is to throw a new $600 lamp at it..

The third brake light is on a different fused circuit then the lower tail lights. So it is common to have working lower brake lights and 'no' third brake light.

The third brake light also shares the fuse with the trailer hitch. So if you ever pull a trailer or have recently used a trailer be sure to inspect the fuse.

2002s have a different dashboard then 2003s and later. And different fuses for the third brake light.

2002 models. Be sure to inspect fuse #16 in the underhood junction/ fuse block.

2003 and latter models. Be sure to inspect the 'VEH CHMSL' fuse in the drivers side dashboard fuse block.

The problem can certainly be in the lamp. But that does not sound like the case here.

If the problem is in the lamp, serviced lamps are available.

www.ledfix.com

coastie13
04-30-13, 02:01 PM
I checked all the fuses and they are good. I did not see one that said trailer brake, just back-up and RH and LH Tail. My under hood box dosn't list the fuses by number so I could not check the #16 fuse.

If the 2002 is different, then I guess the owners manual on the sticky and the wire diagram will be differt also?

Logandiagnostic
04-30-13, 05:33 PM
2002...Fuse #16....underhood junction block. I attached a pic.

The lamp pigtails...can also get damaged. You need both 12v positive and ground at the lamp plug....with the brakes 'on' of course.

If fuse #16 is good, and you have 12v B+ and ground at the lamp plug. The problem is inside the lamp.

www.ledfix.com