: 95 fleetwood oil pan

outsider
04-27-13, 04:18 PM
My oil pan is seeping oil. What's the easiest way to replace the pan? What has to come off to get to it?

also does anyone know if the pans from rock auto come with the gasket or do I have to get the gasket separately?

turbojimmy
04-27-13, 04:50 PM
You have to get the gasket separately, and what makes you think the pan itself is bad versus the gasket? Is it rusted through? Are you sure it's the pan at all? More often than not, oil running from somewhere up above collects where the pan meets the block.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-27-13, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately, there is no easy way. It requires dismounting and lifting the engine ever-so-slightly in order to remove it. Had a friend once who used to use a torch to cut the crossmember beneath it, and just weld it back in place afterwards... I'm guessing you'd rather not resort to that.

How bad is the leak? You may stop it, or slow it significantly by putting a little leak sealer in your oil and tightening the bolts on the oil pan.

outsider
04-27-13, 06:40 PM
it's the pan for sure. I sprayed it all down good with brake cleaner and wiped it all off, then waited a while and watched as oil seeped through a rust spot in the front of the pan.

as a small attempt to slow it I sprayed some truck bed liner (it was all I had, lol) and that actually seems to be stopping the oil for now.

talismandave
04-27-13, 09:26 PM
as a small attempt to slow it I sprayed some truck bed liner (it was all I had, lol) and that actually seems to be stopping the oil for now.

That is better than the screen door sprayed with goop on the bottom of a row boat!:lol:

If it continues to work....

1....Buy a it by the truckload.
2....Re-label as Oil Pan Sealer.
3....Retire to a tropical beach!
:shark:
4....Send me my 10%:contract:

outsider
04-28-13, 05:05 PM
well the bedliner stuff slowed it enough that I didn't have a puddle under the car this morning but it was still pretty wet under there so I went to napa and got some Gas & Oil Seal All and some JB Weld Quickstick. I coated the rusted section with the seal all, then some duct tape (as per instructions) and then a few more coats of the seal all. Then a few hours later I used the JB Weld to patch over that section. I'm going to let it all cure up over night and then fill with oil tomorrow morning then check it after work. I'll let you all know how it works out :)

turbojimmy
04-28-13, 08:48 PM
well the bedliner stuff slowed it enough that I didn't have a puddle under the car this morning but it was still pretty wet under there so I went to napa and got some Gas & Oil Seal All and some JB Weld Quickstick. I coated the rusted section with the seal all, then some duct tape (as per instructions) and then a few more coats of the seal all. Then a few hours later I used the JB Weld to patch over that section. I'm going to let it all cure up over night and then fill with oil tomorrow morning then check it after work. I'll let you all know how it works out :)

Yeah, I'd try just about anything to avoid having to change the pan out. Good luck!

outsider
04-29-13, 06:59 PM
happy to report not a drop of oil from the leaking area after sitting for a day with oil in the pan.

I will take some pics and report back more info soon.

outsider
05-01-13, 02:45 PM
Still no leak after letting it sit with oil in the pan for a few days. Ran the engine and watched for leaks, none.

Here's a picture. It's not very pretty but it'll do. I sprayed it with some gloss black rattle can I had laying around so it looks a little shiny but no oil :)

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/CadillacMatt/Buxton-20130501-00081_zps25a4745c.jpg (http://s866.photobucket.com/user/CadillacMatt/media/Buxton-20130501-00081_zps25a4745c.jpg.html)

outsider
05-06-13, 03:43 PM
Used the car to haul a trailer full of stuff for my friend this weekend and no oil dripping down from the pan now. Looks like this repair will hold up for now :)

Cadillac Giovanni
05-06-13, 07:00 PM
That is awesome.

Cadillacboy
05-07-13, 03:18 PM
That's great :)