: check your intake bolts!

big greg
04-27-13, 03:34 PM
I know this has been brought up alot but I just checked mine and about six of them were loose. About three turns! So this is a friendly service message

MoistCabbage
04-27-13, 04:24 PM
Just don't over tighten, you'll crack the plastic bolt bosses, new manifold time.

89 IN-LBS/7.5 FT-LBS.

big greg
04-27-13, 04:28 PM
Forgot to add that. Thank you sir

----------

Hoping for a little more economy now

MoistCabbage
04-27-13, 05:27 PM
Were you getting lean codes?

big greg
04-27-13, 05:39 PM
No I can't believe it considering how loose they were

Rocc4Rocc
05-02-13, 09:50 PM
This might be a dumb question, but can you tell me where the intake bolts are located, and what should I torque them at? I want to check mine. Thanks

MoistCabbage
05-02-13, 09:56 PM
They hold the intake manifold (the black plastic manifold under the silver engine beauty cover) to the heads.

Torque specs in post #2.

Dadillac
05-04-13, 06:57 PM
Just removed my intake this morning hunting down an issue. About three of the intake bolts were less than finger tight. I also found one of the rear trans mount bolts almost completely backed out. WTH

Don

big greg
05-04-13, 08:13 PM
Just removed my intake this morning hunting down an issue. About three of the intake bolts were less than finger tight. I also found one of the rear trans mount bolts almost completely backed out. WTH

Don

I know right lol

cmcdonald
05-12-13, 05:48 PM
Thank you for this post!! I just checked mine today, and at least half of them were backed out three to four turns. I can't believe the car wasn't throwing any codes. It was running rough before checking this though, and now it's as smooth as glass. My mileage went up 3 mpgs today after fixing this too. What a stupid problem, but a really easy fix.

big greg
05-13-13, 10:10 AM
Thank you for this post!! I just checked mine today, and at least half of them were backed out three to four turns. I can't believe the car wasn't throwing any codes. It was running rough before checking this though, and now it's as smooth as glass. My mileage went up 3 mpgs today after fixing this too. What a stupid problem, but a really easy fix.

Your welcome. I'm surprised I didn't have any codes. I didn't notice any difference in running or mpg since tightening.

stormnn
08-28-13, 09:33 PM
I just checked mine to-day with a deep 10m. socket. I could tighten 3 of them with my fingers. Used a nut runner on the socket got 1/4 to 1/2 on the others, just finger tight, don't have a inch lbs. torque wrench. Still runs great.
Norm

tjwhite721
08-28-13, 10:22 PM
Wow! Is this some kinda of intake conspiracy???? Is every Cadillac DTS intake bolts loose????? I have to check mine tomorrow after work.

----------

Maybe everyone had a tune up at one point and the tech didn't tighten them back up good? I remember either SuperJim or MostCabiagge saying something about this before.

fubar123
09-03-13, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the tip. big greg, I checked mine and everyone was loose. all tight. no codes. still having trouble with stabilitrac, code C0710 and C0196. installed clip as advised it did not work any help with that out there.

Superjim
09-03-13, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the tip. big greg, I checked mine and everyone was loose. all tight. no codes. still having trouble with stabilitrac, code C0710 and C0196. installed clip as advised it did not work any help with that out there.

Code C0710 is the Steering Wheel Position Sensor.
Code C0196 is the YAW RATE Sensor

On some of the other forums, I have heard of a few steering wheel position sensors going bad...
I have never heard of a YAW RATE sensor going bad.

It's possible that if the Steering Wheel Position sensor is bad... then the computer don't know if you are turning or not and thus it don't know the position of the car and turns on the error for the YAW RATE sensor also.

fubar123
09-04-13, 01:04 PM
@ Superjim is there a diagram somewhere so I can find the senser. is it under the middle bottom steering wheel column. under the knee bolster where i installed the clip.

billbill1
09-07-13, 06:49 PM
Thanks big greg
I missed your post on this trouble, earlyer , glad it came up again.
Checked intake bolts today, all were loose, lucky that intake is under vacuum, it
should of been rattling.
Has anyone thought of using LocTite, on the bolts, the light duty Blue, would hold
without, to much force? LocTite should be the perfect solution to this trouble.
Need some suggestions as to what type.
What are the bolts threaded into, the Head?
My Torque wrench's low end is 100 in-lbs, had to fake it for 89 in-lbs.

Eddie39
09-08-13, 07:29 AM
I can't imagine these bolts are easy to get too. Are there items on the engine that need to be removed first?

stormnn
09-08-13, 01:34 PM
Just pop off the plastic engine cover & the heads of the bolts are right there under the fuel rail. I used a 10m deep socket to check mine. I think it was 5 on each side.

estar
09-28-13, 11:15 PM
How do I remove the engine cover on my 2010? My 2000 was held in place by 4 bolts and was very easy to remove, is the 2010 somehow pressed in place?

MoistCabbage
09-29-13, 04:10 AM
Just pull it up. There are 4 pop retainers underneath.

estar
09-29-13, 10:07 PM
Thanks Moist Cabbage, I thought it must be something simple, I did try to pull it up and it didn't seem to give any, will try again and apply more pressure.

danog
09-29-13, 11:16 PM
 1. Grasp the intake manifold sight shield cover at the left side, lift up in order to disengage the cover from the ball stud.
 2. Grasp the intake manifold sight shield cover at the right side, lift up in order to disengage the cover from the ball stud.
 3. Remove the intake manifold sight shield cover from under the tab on the secondary air injection (AIR) check valve bracket.
 4. Remove the intake manifold sight shield cover.

estar
10-01-13, 09:57 PM
Checked my intake bolts today and found half of them very loose. My DTS has 42,000 miles on it. I will check them at least yearly from now on. If they are loose at the next check I will install star washers. Thanks guys for the heads up info on this problem.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-02-13, 05:33 PM
Checked my intake bolts today and found half of them very loose. My DTS has 42,000 miles on it. I will check them at least yearly from now on. If they are loose at the next check I will install star washers. Thanks guys for the heads up info on this problem.

Hello estar,

Thank you for providing this information. I am glad you were able to check your intake bolts and found they were loose. I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you. If additional concerns or questions arise, please contact us via private message so we can assist.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

billbill1
10-07-13, 10:36 AM
Hi Customer Care
I haven't had a comment on the use of Loc Tite, with this problem.
I would think this would be a good place, to insert some Engineering
Expertise. This "TROUBLE" should of had a Loc Tite "FIX", long ago.

Eddie39
10-07-13, 12:06 PM
 1. Grasp the intake manifold sight shield cover at the left side, lift up in order to disengage the cover from the ball stud.
 2. Grasp the intake manifold sight shield cover at the right side, lift up in order to disengage the cover from the ball stud.
 3. Remove the intake manifold sight shield cover from under the tab on the secondary air injection (AIR) check valve bracket.
 4. Remove the intake manifold sight shield cover.

Danog,

Is there a specified torque for manifold bolts?

MoistCabbage
10-07-13, 12:10 PM
89 inch-lbs.

Eddie39
10-07-13, 12:10 PM
I see it in post #2

89 IN-LBS/7.5 FT-LBS.

TLC
10-08-13, 08:48 PM
Went and checked mine last weekend. 3 were loose, one was backed out like half way and another backed out a few turns. Not sure that I see a difference in performance but maybe my starts are smoother now.

Anyone know how/why this happens. I'm guessing from the expanding and contracting of the engine and components due to heat.

Superjim
10-08-13, 11:47 PM
Went and checked mine last weekend. 3 were loose, one was backed out like half way and another backed out a few turns. Not sure that I see a difference in performance but maybe my starts are smoother now.

Anyone know how/why this happens. I'm guessing from the expanding and contracting of the engine and components due to heat.

Aluminum engine, plastic intake, steel bolts.
All have different expansion coefficients...

bschelle
10-10-13, 11:34 PM
Can they use Loctite

MoistCabbage
10-10-13, 11:40 PM
A little blue LockTite shouldn't hurt anything.

teckguy
10-11-13, 09:26 PM
46,000 KMS on my 2006 and 6 of mine were loose also..... Seems pretty strange to me this is so common!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

MoistCabbage
10-11-13, 09:43 PM
We don't see the problem in the Seville/Eldorado or Deville forums. :noidea: