: For those who track their V's...

Choppa'
04-27-13, 01:54 PM
This can be a good starter thread for those of us who take their cars to the track and to share some info and tips. I'll start of by asking if anyone uses driving aids at the track and how much it hinders or helps the car? I read an old Car and driver article http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2005-cadillac-cts-v-page-3 And they got about a 10th faster with all aids off. I only have about 5 track days under my belt and I still havn't tracked it yet with all aids off (I leave the car in Competitive Driving Mode). Anyone go from CPM to no aids and how much did you improve?

Andringa
04-27-13, 01:59 PM
I k is the search on this site is frustrating, but there are a bunch of posts with track info if you look for them.

I autox with everything off and HPDE in competitive driving mode.

PISNUOFF
04-27-13, 03:00 PM
I k is the search on this site is frustrating, but there are a bunch of posts with track info if you look for them.

This is how I run also. Sometimes all off on hpde's if I know the course.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
04-27-13, 03:20 PM
I would leave them on still until you get more experience. I run with everything off, but am kind of forced to if I leave my cutouts open. The stability control tries to kill me because of the vibrations caused by the exhaust.

thebigjimsho
04-27-13, 07:27 PM

I do this as well. Autocross in CDM first and then all-off. I will never road course with everything off unless I'm loaded...

RyRidesMotoX
04-29-13, 11:53 AM
I like the competitive driving mode on mine. On the last track day it was letting me basically drift the car.

Twitch
04-29-13, 12:00 PM
The back can slide out with everything on. I've used the throttle to rotate the car when I had too much push and the traction control didn't get in the way.

repenttokyo
04-29-13, 01:24 PM
I use Competitive at HPDE because the car still scares me at those speeds.

Choppa'
05-04-13, 10:07 PM
Went to track today and had some good sessions. I learned how to rotate the car better in the turns and it felt good finally hitting them right. Here is a vid of my buddy driving my v and me driving his 135i.

http://youtu.be/E3NAtonwyLM

mstrjon32
05-05-13, 08:51 AM
I've only ever run the Nurburgring and always leave everything on. You never know what's going to happen on that track, and it's super narrow with very little room for error. If you're driving well, the driver aids don't get in the way too much...my best around the Nordschleife, with 4 people in the car, on all season tires and all aids on was a 9:04, and I'm not sure I'd be faster with them off.

JDB
05-06-13, 06:02 PM
With only 5 days on the track, you will be faster with more seat time. You're not ready for Stability off and why take the chance?? Let the nanny feature pull you back in and drive home rather than towing it home. Competitive mode is plenty to let you run hard and still save your ass. Heck, even still on you can get sideways and if you overcorrect, lift, and keep doing the opposite of what you should...you'll get a nice tank slapper into the nearest hard object or completely spin out and hopefully the person behind you has enough room to avoid you.

mstrjon32
05-06-13, 08:44 PM
With only 5 days on the track, you will be faster with more seat time. You're not ready for Stability off and why take the chance?? Let the nanny feature pull you back in and drive home rather than towing it home. Competitive mode is plenty to let you run hard and still save your ass. Heck, even still on you can get sideways and if you overcorrect, lift, and keep doing the opposite of what you should...you'll get a nice tank slapper into the nearest hard object or completely spin out and hopefully the person behind you has enough room to avoid you.

TL;DR?: Leave the stability system ON!