: New owner checking in!

Typer2k1
04-27-13, 01:16 AM
Hello all, I'm a new member of the community. I purchased a 2004 Escalade ESV for a steal. However, the day after i made the purchase from this private party I noticed the check engine light would not come on when the key was turned to the on position.

My curiosity got the best of me so last night I pulled the gauge cluster, opened that bad boy up and realized the previous owner "scraped" the led off the pc board in an attempt to hide something. Go figure from a craigslist special huh? Funny thing is, this isn't the first time I've purchased a car from craigslist where the previous owner tried to hide the check engine light. Last time I purchased an accord and the check engine light was wrapped in electrical tape! I'm mechanically inclined so I was able to clean the egr with seafoam and it fixed the issue.

Anyways, I took the escalade to autozone, sure enough I have a p0422 code. I'm planning on changing the gas cap tomorrow and looking for vacuum leaks. I've already changed out the front diff fluid thanks to this great site!

Tomorrow after my sons baseball game I'm planning on doing the rear diff, engine oil, and transfer case. I love getting cars dirt cheap and rehabbing them!

I just wanted to drop in and say hi, this is a great site and community!

the cadillac man
04-27-13, 01:45 AM
Hello all, I'm a new member of the community. I purchased a 2004 Escalade ESV for a steal. However, the day after i made the purchase from this private party I noticed the check engine light would not come on when the key was turned to the on position.

My curiosity got the best of me so last night I pulled the gauge cluster, opened that bad boy up and realized the previous owner "scraped" the led off the pc board in an attempt to hide something. Go figure from a craigslist special huh? Funny thing is, this isn't the first time I've purchased a car from craigslist where the previous owner tried to hide the check engine light. Last time I purchased an accord and the check engine light was wrapped in electrical tape! I'm mechanically inclined so I was able to clean the egr with seafoam and it fixed the issue.

Anyways, I took the escalade to autozone, sure enough I have a p0422 code. I'm planning on changing the gas cap tomorrow and looking for vacuum leaks. I've already changed out the front diff fluid thanks to this great site!

Tomorrow after my sons baseball game I'm planning on doing the rear diff, engine oil, and transfer case. I love getting cars dirt cheap and rehabbing them!

I just wanted to drop in and say hi, this is a great site and community!

I had that code pop up on my 03 not long after I got it(it was a bad gas cap)

I replaced the gas cap and it went away so try that before checking the evap lines(which are a pain trust me my dad had to get a new evap canister for my mom's 02 because of someone not being careful(though I didn't know during the test drive as the dealer had cleared the codes before I test drove the truck)

I would replace the led soon as you won't know if a error code pops up

I guess I will be the first to say welcome to the forum(FYI there is some how to threads in the FAQ section at the top of the forum section that shows where the plugs are on the transfer case and differentials
Also this year has the engine oil life meter(great thing to have)which measures the oil life
How to reset
Press the fuel pump button till the information screen show oil life:xxx% then hold the enter button(just below the fuel pump button)till the info screen show oil life reset(it will flash change engine oil right after) then shows oil life 100%

You will find using the oil life meter is better then the stickers with the mileage(I still get them out of habit from the dealer)

MrHolland
04-27-13, 02:38 AM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and info in here. Enjoy your stay!!!!

Vitaqueen
04-27-13, 06:37 AM
Hi there! That was a dirty trick but I'm glad you are working around it. Welcome and enjoy. Happy miles!

the cadillac man
04-27-13, 11:38 AM
Hi there! That was a dirty trick but I'm glad you are working around it. Welcome and enjoy. Happy miles!

Try having one not tell about a part that needs replacing

bigirb2002
04-29-13, 03:59 PM
iv had mine a month i changed the transfer case to amsoil with bottle of lubgard red. front and rear diff to mobile one 75w80 synthetic with lubegard gear lube. and penzoil ultra w lubgard in the oil. truck is really happy now. normal driving oil psi went up from 35 psi to 45 psi after changing oil to synthetic. i changed after finding out the ultra oil is as good as amsoil minimus the extended interval.