: Surprise greasy mess beneath me great car.

Hot2Trot
04-27-13, 12:30 AM
My 2012 CTS-V has had a totally-clean service history, since buying it in June of 2012. In the last five days, I have become totally stumped, by a three-inch "oily patch" that showed beneath the car unexpectedly. I had backed the dusty car out of its clean (well...dusty?) concrete garage bay for a shampoo and paint seal treat. The car had been parked for several days, as SW dust storms scoured our area. When I backed out Car a day later, there was a patch of "oily substance mid way betwixt the rear wheels. Wiped it up with a paper towel (what had not soaked into the concrete). Drove the car for a couple trips.. about 100 miles total, always looking for any "dripping" after pulling back into the garage bay. Not a drop of "oily crappe" hit Cardboard.

Took Car to the dealership this morning, to have it checked out. They claimed Car is very clean, with no leaks. They said that that some form of "rubbery road debris" had latched onto the catalytic converter,...and melted off, creating the out-of-character oily puddle. As the "meltdown" occurred after the "wash/pamper job", how would this be possible? I idled the car less than three minutes, as I backed out, AND re-entered the garage bay during the "shampoo outing". Car moved no more than 15 feet. Can the catalytic converter get thaaaaat HOT in the brief "move-about"?. Hot enough to completely melt some "rubber road debris"? The CC is certainly gonna get hot, and it is close to the big engine. But THAT hot, in such a brief times?

Having a hard time swallowing the dealership's explanation. Loooove my car! About 6900 miles on the fassst beast.

Thanks, for any input.

1997BlackETC
04-27-13, 02:54 AM
I woulda gone out myself to the service bay @ the dealers to get a look. Maybe you can take it to some independent shop like a midas or something and tell em you are looking for a exhaust quote and have em put it up on the lift and take a look for yourself. Looking for yourself is the only way you will know for sure, could be a rear main or a tranny pan leak. Did it look like engine oil or tranny oil (red tinted stinky thin stuff).

Hot2Trot
04-27-13, 04:34 AM
Thanks, 1997BlackETC for your comments. When the dealership phoned me, to say there was/is no problem, the car was off their lift, and I had gone home. The day before going to the dealership, I aimed a flashlight at the suspect area on the bottom of Car, which, by then, was a "dark greasy spot dredged in dust". Kinda like battering fried chicken? Without a lift, or any way to actually pass under the low-slung car, I was soley trusting the dealership to give me a straight-up story. The "dark stuff" looked a lot like engine oil t'me, but I is no mechanic. It was clearly not red transmission fluid though. Great description of "tranny oil"...."red tinted stinky thin stuff". Thanks.

1997BlackETC
04-27-13, 02:39 PM
Just for your peace of mind you should put it up on a lift somewhere, a lot of places will do it for you at no charge.

Hot2Trot
04-28-13, 01:12 AM
Thanks yet again, 1997BlackETC. I agree, that putting Car up on lift and using personal observation, would be way better than completely trusting my local dealership. I kinda doubt that it will be a piece of cake to find a "garage/business" in my area, that will hoist ZeCar for free, unless they're Flakes.

Have to run a 200-mile trip tomorrow in Car, and hope there are no further "oily issues".

Can anyone, attempt to answer the catalytic converter question? How hot. How fast, the CC heats? I just thought that hoods stole them for Platinum content (while we MUST have them on our cars, to control "emissions"). Call me ignorant about CC's.

Random84
04-28-13, 02:41 PM
check the shocks, check the differential fluid level, check your brake fluid level (master cylinder) - and if they're all good I would just wait for the next time to investigate further.

Gary Wells
04-29-13, 02:38 PM
As in the great turbo Buick cars of the late '80's, it is not leaking, it is simply marking it's territory.

LeeH
04-29-13, 05:42 PM
As in the great turbo Buick cars of the late '80's, it is not leaking, it is simply marking it's territory.

Hey - they stole that from Harley! :D