: Should I buy?

kdog126
04-26-13, 11:15 PM
2006 SRX 90K miles - $9000.00 very clean. Should I buy it?

Whiplash_89
04-26-13, 11:57 PM
If it comes with warrenty yes.

TimRSRX777
04-27-13, 01:57 AM
v6 or N* v8? AWD or RWD? Ultraview or none? 3rd row seats? Clean CarFax/AutoCheck and no major accidents? clean non salvage title? one owner car?

repnatl
04-27-13, 12:04 PM
If you want less repairs down the road go with the v8 no ultraview and a 3rd row seat awd for more traction rwd for more gas mileage

PJ1520
04-27-13, 01:08 PM
You won't get much in the way of a response without details. We have very little to go on.

kdog126
04-28-13, 05:12 PM
Clean Carfax. Not sure if its AWD...how can I tell? Has Ultraview sunroof and 3rd row of seats.

----------

No warranty.

glake89
04-28-13, 06:05 PM
Look for half shafts going to front wheels for AWD.

repnatl
04-28-13, 07:39 PM
That ultraview and v6 are gonna cost you money in repairs not to mention no warranty those lower control arms always go bad. 3rd row seat i have and its a joke only very very small children can fit in it. Mine stays down and we take 2 vehicles

PJ1520
04-28-13, 08:49 PM
He didn't say it had a V6.....though I wouldn't balk at a one owner V6 with 90k for that price if the service records and a mechanic's check passed muster. UltraView was and is a must for me. The third row comes in handy for short hops with adults, 5'4" and under. Kids are fine with it. I don't know why you would take two cars when one would do.

repnatl
04-29-13, 09:11 AM
Only when there were more adults back there we would.

orandaberg
04-30-13, 12:59 AM
Double triple check, raise the car and look under it, remove the under splash shield and look at the underside, look at the brake lines are not rusted especially the line over the rear axle, have diagnostic scanner hooked up, look at history or codes, There is not enough you can do to precheck a SRX. Check battery, I know this is my last Cadillac I buy without a days worth of fine combing the car and a recorded maintenance history. Check the Ultraview works as it should, third row seat function (if applicable) And most of all the spare tire release functions. Check to make sure it does not have a draw on the battery higher then normal. Oh and look at your radiator to make sure it has not sagged down in the middle (look at my thread need help on the road) lots of pics

PJ1520
04-30-13, 11:11 AM
Only when there were more adults back there we would.Even with adults back in the third row it can be a real convenience provided the distance to be travelled is not too far. Yes, ingress and egress is not particularly easy. My wife and I have been asked/conscripted to drive (consolidate into one vehicle) for concerts, a funeral, a night out on the town where I was the designated driver, at campgrounds where other couples had an RV and no second vehicle, etc. The third row works in a pinch, even with adults. You just slide the second row seats forward a few inches to give the third row folks more leg room. And the auxiliary A/C unit and vents back there keep the rear passengers cool and comfortable.

----------

Granted, the UltraView has its issues. But it is the largest and heaviest piece of sunroof glass ever placed on a production vehicle. Even the rear passengers can enjoy its benefits. It also is the closest you can come to open air driving in a crossover or sports utility vehicle. Period! Cadillac used the same vendor as Mercedes when designing and installing this option, so at least they went into this with eyes wide open.

Yes, the UltraView roof does require routine cleaning and lubrication of the tracks and weather seals, with some occasional adjustments of the guides. But I use mine nearly every day 24/7/365......even in the Winter (open slightly). I haul the dogs in the SRX, so you can imagine how gamey it can get smelling in there.

Personally, this is one of my favorite options and to me is well worth the maintenance to keep it working properly to get what I enjoy. Opinions on this may vary.

PJ

kdog126
04-30-13, 06:11 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. I think I am going to get it. Other than the issues you all mentioned, what is your overall impression of the vehicle? How does it compare to its competitors from BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Volvo?

----------

Thanks for the feedback. Other than the issues you mentioned, what are your overall impressions of the vehicle? Ride? Comfort? Handling? Speed? How does it compare to its competitors from BMW, Mercedes, Volvo and Lexus?

orandaberg
04-30-13, 08:25 PM
If I could do ut over again I would have run the other way an bought the Porsch Cayenne V8 like I really wanted. But with everything I have had to spend on parts and labour for the less then 1 year I owned the SRX, I could of had the Porsch and money left over. Mine is still in the garage waiting on final parts to arrive from usa
Ride Fair (not what you would expect for the new price-Comfort drove 7000 Km once and it was dare I say comfortable-suspension is ruff Drove the same ruff rode in a 2005 Volvo V40 and the ride you could hardly tell it was a ruff road, with the SRX it was like driving in a Jeep CJ7,shaking passengers side to side and up and down, had to go over the road at a crawl speed-Handling Good- Speed Fast, Fun.
To be fair the same problems,parts would have been more expensive with Porsch, GM parts can be cheap if you know where to look. Good thing because parts will be needed sooner then later

conedoctor
04-30-13, 09:12 PM
It beat all of them in testing for its year, it is a solid car.

Take what people say with a grain of salt, I have had 2 perfectly fine SRX's with no problems and I would buy another. That being said I would not buy a V6 based on the issues you could face and I wanted the power.

So not saying haters gonna hate but haters gonna hate.

Cost of ownership on a Cayenne is retarded, maybe less in Norway but here in NA cost of ownership of the German brands is not cheap if you want to service them like they should be.

repnatl
05-01-13, 01:45 AM
Wait the middle row slides forward now that you mention it i saw that button on the passenger side...........slaps forehead. For me this truck has positives and negatives but the negatives outweigh especially with my used previously poorly maintained v6 ( I've spent more in repairs even with an extended warranty than i have in total car payments) it was between an 06 hemi magnum or the srx wished i took the magnum. But i suggest the v8 if you do go with the srx as the v6 has very little ass behind it. The truck rides and handles amazing even with 22"s pretty quiet interior plenty of room for trips. The truck looks great and different from all others in its class.

orandaberg
05-01-13, 05:24 AM
Hi
repnati where is this button, I need it for buying this SRX, think I will take a loss and trade it in after repairs, lord knows all my problems have been outside the car, if I start getting problems with engine,electrical ( which is starting to happen, some drain somewhere and have not been able to find it) and transmission and transfer cases its going to be scraped

PJ1520
05-01-13, 09:48 AM
My 2007 SRX4 N* is our first vehicle with AWD and our first SUV/Crossover. In retrospect, if I had it to do all over again THIS IS the vehicle I would buy without blinking an eye.

My wife and I wanted a vehicle with more room (seating and luggage) but did not want to give up a passenger vehicle ride, comfort, creature features, and fun factor. The SRX has fulfilled every functional requirement as well as every want. The SRX is our daily driver. We drive about 20,000 miles a year, haul dogs and grandchildren, go camping, take 2,500 mile road trips, and have to contend with the New England Winters. The EPA fuel economy was rated by the major automotive magazines as about average for the 2007 luxury crossover marketplace, and not shabby for a 4,450 pound vehicle. And at the SRX's price point when new, what V8 crossover in it's market segment and price range was quicker or had a higher top end? NONE!

I appreciate Rep's and Oranda's straight talk about their disappointing experiences which have been eye-opening and expensive. Their experiences would give any rational person serious pause before buying an SRX. Their posts have been educational and informative. If I were them, I would have given up and moved on to another vehicle......because each of them bought pre-owned vehicles that, once owned, revealed boatloads of problems carried over from the previous owner(s). Granted, Rep's V6 issues are shared with some on this forum who bought their V6 vehicles new. Oranda's SRX-N* has displayed corrosion issues I have never seen in a vehicle that young and gremlins few on the forum have experienced to his degree.

Then why would I buy another GenI SRX or advise the OP to buy the one he is looking at?

Because I think the risk of getting into dilemmas like Rep or Oranda, to their level, is statistically small. And the opportunity to get the comfort, functionality, pleasure, and fun factor I have gotten in my first SRX is the most likely scenario.

The OP asked an opinion on a 2006 90,000 mile SRX for $9,000. I think it is a reasonable risk. Any 7 year old pre-owned vehicle with 90,000 miles will come with it's drawbacks or pipeline items. And the OP should plan for the expenses accordingly.......they go with the territory, whether one has owned the SRX from new or purchased pre-owned.

There were roughly 100,000 GenI SRXs sold between model years 2004-2009. You folks who own an SRX and have been reading here for a couple of years can be the judge of the risks buying a pre-owned GenI. But remember........automotive forums have a tendency to bring out those with problems looking for help, not necessarily those with no issues or few issues.

PJ

repnatl
05-01-13, 09:57 AM
Hi
repnati where is this button, I need it for buying this SRX, think I will take a loss and trade it in after repairs, lord knows all my problems have been outside the car, if I start getting problems with engine,electrical ( which is starting to happen, some drain somewhere and have not been able to find it) and transmission and transfer cases its going to be scraped

On the trim panel right behind the passenger middle row im going to try mine out today. And he is right i was in love with the truck till all of the issues I've had but not all of them are like that. This forum has helped me with the truck than i realized. Luckily im a mechanic so that saved on labor. Just do your research thoroughly and don't rush into a buy and for that price its not bad and ask for their maintenance records too if available.

repnatl
05-01-13, 07:21 PM
So i tried that button and the only thing that happened was the radio started shuffling cd's with the truck off........wow and that's suppose to operate the seat :(