: Beware of Scam!!!!!!!

bykw2
01-11-05, 02:31 AM
I want to alert everyone of a scam that is happening on Cadillacowners.com classified site. A guy name Smith Lawerence contact me about purchasing my wheels, which was listed on Cadillacoweners classified site. He ask if he could send me a Cashier Check for the wheels, and if I would take the rest of the money from the Cashier check and western union it to his shipper in Dublin, Ireland. Well the Cashier Check was no good. Bank Account does not exist. so I got beat out of $2500.00

STS-in-Nottingham
01-11-05, 03:56 AM
Sorry to hear you got stung,
Most of these scams originate from Nigeria, they've been using these techniques in Europe for quite a while now,
Please read this link i posted in a previous thread,

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/temp/scammers.html

Hope this cheers you up a bit,
Kind Regards
Mark.

LADIESnLADES
01-11-05, 04:34 AM
Sorry about your loss, I almost got scammed 2 grand but western union wouldnt send the money. This scam was from spain though. If you figure out where the guy resides, I know an excellent bag man in europe. :blasted:

suckit
01-11-05, 05:29 AM
I've been offered this over 3 times! Everytime I post anything that's worth some money, I always get the stupid email of people trying to get me to do the same thing. When you call them, they tell you to keep it a secret?!? I've recieved checks with BOFA logos on them, my friends who work at BOFA verified to me that they were indeed fake checks. I couldn't believe that this actual scam existed. Now that it has happened a few times, it's just plain old... SOrry it happened to you man, learning experience.

hcvone
01-11-05, 10:08 AM
I hear about this happening a lot on the Corvette Forum and it sucks, be very careful when buying or selling on the internet

Sandy
01-11-05, 10:15 AM
Only take a US Postal Money Order, or a personal check. Deposit check & wait for it to clear, and check with your bank to make double sure that it cleared, before sending anything. On the Money Order, take to bank and cash it, before shipping. Do no business with people outside the continential USA.

JDelorean_srx
01-11-05, 03:48 PM
Just cash the guys check at one of those party stores, you know the one - where the clerk is always talking on his cell phone, in a language undeciferable..

:lildevil:

blingblingcv
01-11-05, 04:30 PM
Damn I am sorry to hear about that. This almost happened to me as well. i was going to buy some Davins off of EBAY and they guy told me 2500 and he was in London. He said Western Union was the only way. He said to have the money with my fathers name and his address that way he could not take the money. I talked to Western Union and said that is one of the biggest scams. They make a fake ID and just take your money. I would have waited to make sure you had the money before you sent your wheels. Sorry to hear about your loss.

1toycad
01-11-05, 04:53 PM
I want to alert everyone of a scam that is happening on Cadillacowners.com classified site. A guy name Smith Lawerence contact me about purchasing my wheels, which was listed on Cadillacoweners classified site. He ask if he could send me a Cashier Check for the wheels, and if I would take the rest of the money from the Cashier check and western union it to his shipper in Dublin, Ireland. Well the Cashier Check was no good. Bank Account does not exist. so I got beat out of $2500.00

Please report this to your local district Attorney or State's Attorney General. If they don't handle it, they will refer you to the proper authorities. This scam, like the Nigerian bank scams has been going around for years.

Sorry you got stung.

Playdrv4me
01-11-05, 05:23 PM
Yea, any kind of forged paper document to be used for funding is actually U.S. Secret Service territory. I got stung once with a VERY VERY official looking Western Union check for 2000.00 from a guy in Cali no-less trying to buy my Rolex. I worked for a bank and thought I knew the system so I cashed it and was on my merry way. Shortly thereafter the deposit correction hit my account.