: Dealership Engine Dressing.

Cadillac Kid03
04-25-13, 09:52 PM
Hey all last time i went to my dealer i was checking out a 04 Deville and of course i popped the hood to see the N*. Well i ask the sales person why the engine was dirty after it just got out of detail. He reply's back with oh you can do massive harm to the motor if you power wash it or do anything with water. I looked at him strange and closed the hood why would a salesperson say that? Kind of a funny story.

Submariner409
04-26-13, 09:54 AM
Basically the dealer is correct. It takes a real expert and a fair amount of time to "detail" an engine - especially today's modern versions with a skrillion sensors and electrical connectors. How many times have you seen a Northstar question sort of like "I washed my engine - now it has a wicked miss and the intake manifold valley is full of water !" ? ......... and the starter is the next thing to fail.

Not that it can't be - or isn't - done by dealerships. .......... it's all built into the selling price. TANSTAAFL

Cadillac Kid03
04-26-13, 03:32 PM
Basically the dealer is correct. It takes a real expert and a fair amount of time to "detail" an engine - especially today's modern versions with a skrillion sensors and electrical connectors. How many times have you seen a Northstar question sort of like "I washed my engine - now it has a wicked miss and the intake manifold valley is full of water !" ? ......... and the starter is the next thing to fail.

Not that it can't be - or isn't - done by dealerships. .......... it's all built into the selling price. TANSTAAFLThat's what i was looking for! Thank you Sub now i understand why he replied back with that. I just take a micro fiber with water and wipe down the rubber, plastic, cover on the Seville.

Submariner409
04-26-13, 04:33 PM
It's a PITA, but if you're truly anal about the engine compartment, wheelwells, gas tank pocket, lower air dam area - then you own a supply of brushes, spray bottles, small dedicated water nozzles, lots of decent (non-polyester) rags, some scotch and water, and time.

It also helps if the engine/transmission is tightly sealed and leaks not one drop of anything ............. :yup:

Cadillac Kid03
04-26-13, 06:15 PM
It's a PITA, but if you're truly anal about the engine compartment, wheelwells, gas tank pocket, lower air dam area - then you own a supply of brushes, spray bottles, small dedicated water nozzles, lots of decent (non-polyester) rags, some scotch and water, and time.

It also helps if the engine/transmission is tightly sealed and leaks not one drop of anything ............. :yup:Yep i'm anal about dirt or road grime on her always clean the odd areas that most people would miss. Thanks again Sub your the best!