Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone help with pricing for this 05 STS?

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  sonyab523 
#1 ·

I understand he has done mods but my thought is that $10,500 is to much, he said he would do $9,500 but I still think that's to much. I've never done any mods before so admittedly I don't know how much the stuff he did costs but I wouldn't think it would be that much. Am I wrong or right?

Description:

Fully loaded one of a kind STS: A-Z with every option possible for that year, 109K on the dash, V6 3.6L, Interior is tan leather with wood trim: Some modifications include: tinted tails, tinted 3rd brake light, (if you want to go back to stock, we can make that happen) all tint used was professional grade vinyl, custom Cadillac emblems emblems, 5k hids top and bottom, blacked out headlights, white leds inside/out+bright white vanity mirror lights, blacked out grill, blacked out roof, tinted windows all around, black spoiler, matte black exhaust tips, custom black/white vanity Cadillac plate,push to start, remote start, heated and cooled seats, heated rear seats, bluetooth + Ipod compatible, navigation, DVD player, 6disc cd changer, 15 speaker bose surround sound system, dual climate controls.. i will include a set of summer tires, a set of winter tires...Just got a fresh synthetic oil change from the Cadillac dealership along with the inspection of the belts/hoses/suspension/top'd of all fluids etc.. The car is originally from Texas, I purchased it from a retired military veteran couple, they took incredible care of the car and myself, I baby my cars and I make sure I do my research before anything.... check out the pics, clean inside/out, clear title ready to go, 10500 OBO, serious inquires only. thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is nowhere near fully loaded... Maybe a 1SB / 1SC package with NAV addon.
1SG would be fully featured package (but is still missing options that can be added).

Get the full VIN and run it at www.compnine.com to see what options it REALLY has.

Driver seat showing a lot of wear.

Non-OEM HIDs = aftermarket HIDs can have many issues.
No HUD
No Adaptive Cruise
No V8
V6 is well known for timing chain issues ... I would walk.
How many miles can he go until he needs to add a quart of oil? I read lots of members that go about 1000-1500 miles and have to add oil.
The V6 does _NOT_ have a low oil idiot light.
Being from Texas I assume its RWD not AWD ... if that matters to you, you should find out as AWD is heavier by like 300lbs and has more mechanical resistance and therefore even lower gas mileage.

For the most part 'mods' add $0 value to the car. Some would argue it detracts from the value of the car.

#4 ·
As soon as somebody says "fully loaded" you know it ain't. This is a term used by old time car hustlers that has no meaning in today's car market. Look at the tag on the bottom of the spare tire cover in the trunk, decode it on the internet, and see what the car really has.

#9 ·
I'm also skeptical of mods that weren't done by myself due to quality and workmanship. A lot of people hack things together. Most of what is listed is just aesthetics, not really mods in my opinion. When I think of Mods I think of performance upgrades, which there aren't much for the STS. My personal opinion is I would pass on that one. I'm sure you can find one with less miles in factory form for less.

#10 ·
I sent my parents to check out a white one out for me, but the tires were bald, clicking in the engine and the engine light was on, body damage, normally I wouldn't consider this a big deal until I got an inspection first but the fact that the guy didn't tell me or list it in is ad before I asked my parents to check it out for me pissed me off so that one is out. There is a nice 05 V8 AWD with 80,000 miles for $8,500 obo near me. I won't say the color so as not to offend anyone but it's hideous and I couldn't live with it and that's the only reason I'm considering this one because I really want white or black. I'd really have to low ball the ugly color car and get it painted to move forward and that doesn't make much sense.

#12 ·
There is a nice 05 V8 AWD with 80,000 miles for $8,500 obo near me. I won't say the color so as not to offend anyone but it's hideous and I couldn't live with it and that's the only reason I'm considering this one because I really want white or black. I'd really have to low ball the ugly color car and get it painted to move forward and that doesn't make much sense.
I don't think you saying that you don't like a certain color on the car will offend anyone. They make them in different colors for different tastes :) Everyone is entitled to their opinion on colors. And you know what they say about opinions :)

#11 ·
Unless you paint a car right (more expensive than most realize) you are right to avoid it. Wait for the right car.

I would advise against an AWD unless you really need one. We often get snow, live on the edge of town and I prefer not to let the weather affect my schedule. If any of those three weren't so, a RWD would probably be a better choice. As it is, my wife beats me at the lights and gets better mileage!

#14 ·
The third one seems like a descent price, but I would wonder if it is a clean title or not for that price. And i'm guessing that is the one you don't like the color on. The last one would be out for me, as I prefer V8's :) The first one may not be bad, but along with the second they state incorrect HP. Inaccuracies in car ads bother me. It's the whole used car salesman thing where they will try to tell you anything to sell you a car. But then again, I'm a tough sale. I'm picky about the cars I like and generally do a lot of research before going in to look at one.

Patients is key. You will find the right car for the right price.

#15 ·
I plan to sell my 2005 STS V8 AWD with every option for around $12k. Loaded for me means ACC, HUD, NAV, ROOF, AWD, 18" Wheels, Every option available original retail $67k and I have 62k miles. I love my V8 and would only buy an STS with the V8 as the engine is a beast and its solid. Till this day never has an issue with the engine.

You can definately do better and there are alot of them out there so as others said you might need some patience but if you wanted a specific build you will find it. I would not spend $10k+ on a 2005 with over 100k miles especially the V6.

#20 ·
I have the same car as you except with the white diamond paint option...which I think made the window sticker( if it matters) $68,200

It just turned 71K and actually has 6 months of warranty left

I was thinking private party sale of about $11K...dealership would probably ask $12,500

I agree there are lot of these cars out there

Not that I have looked in a while.....but is it typical for these cars to me "modded" out the way these ones were?
I think it looks terrible and would deduct from the value of the car

Warren

#17 ·
Well, I personally suggest checking out the mods before coming to conclusions. For example, the only way to get blacked out headlights is to make them yourself; and thats something that requires taking the bumper off and taking each light apart - not something you would want to do. If done right, they may actually be better then stock, as stock headlights tend to fog up due to not the best sealant being used around the lens from factory - common issue.

These cars plummeted in price. If you get one of the V-8s you're getting alot of car for your 10k; compared to other cars for that money. That said, I do recommend the V-8 as it's less problematic and is more powerful; doesnt seem like it makes a big price difference in your area. The 2 black cars seem to be great deals, but you really want to make sure proper maintenance was done with such high milage. You want oil change records, transmission service records, and records of any repairs that were done. It also helps if the cooling system has been flushed, but, remember, that certain stuff you can do yourself; like brake pads/rotors, for example.

Common problems involve a rotting differential bushing, which can be noticed when the car is placed into D or R from park - if it's bad you'll feel a hard clunk. This is bad, as a loose bushing means a loose diff, and, with 100k o the clock, there could have been alot of miles ran through a basically loose drivetrain. I fixed mine when the car had 30k on it, and even then I was left with a slight bearing noise coming from the differential. If I waited longer and drove the car hard I could have needed a diff rebuild. If you're a DIY guy you can get a poly bushing as a replacement, but, first make sure it's not too late.

Also, PS pumps tend to crap out on these cars. See if the car had a replacement.

As for color - opinions are like a**holes, and I won't try to tell you what to do. But I will say that the green/tan looks alot better in person. I ended up getting my Green V-8 with most options for less then $16,000 with 24k on the odometer; mainly because no one cared to see the car in person. Meanwhile black cars were selling for 1.5 times the money with twice the milage and less options. Maybe you'll really hate it, and that's fine by me (I was skeptical when I went to see it), but you may end up getting a good price on a good car. All you need is some chrome ;). In actuality, the tan isn't too yellow like in most cars (so it doesn't look odd/cheap) and the green gets alot of compliments in person (and always looks clean). The colors work well together, but, in most listings the green and the tan end up looking grayer and duller then they are. I added a few pics of my car just to give you an idea. Totally do what you want, but there is way too many black and white cadillacs out there; and most look dirty 90% of the time :D. Just my 2 cents

Either way, good luck with your purchase and hope you end up with a great car!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img0477co.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/img0478vnx.jpg/

#21 · (Edited)
Yours actually looks really good. I actually was going to go see the the green one but I ran the VIN number and it had a salvage title. I guess the guy wasn't going to tell me until he handed over the title. :cookoo:

Anyway I decided to finance to bump up the budget and ending up buying a 08 CTS from a dealer as private parties in my area are just morons. Just went craigslist/ebay shopping so my mods will be OEM V front bumper and hood, OEM chrome V couple rims, OEM hid headlights, hid kits for fogs and headlights, change DRL to LED and add some LED lighting for the interior. Nothing drastic and I believe they are tasteful mods. The guy with the white diamond sts from my post first contacted me the day after I bought it saying he'd take $8,500. He really shouldn't have started so high in the first place, oh well.

#19 ·
Opinions vary, yes that's very true.

I love the ACC and it was a strong motivation for me to buy my STS. These cars vary a lot according to trim level and equipment. Drive a few. Decide on the options you want on your STS and then shop for that car at a fair price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.