: Strange LS9 Clutch issue

ronr
04-25-13, 08:48 PM
I just had the clutch replaced after only about 40k miles. The clutch was not disengaging. Pedal feel was normal. I bled it just to make sure and still no disengagement.

I was buried at work and didn't have time to do it myself so had it towed to the dealership. They replaced it and I took the old parts over to Katech for Jason and I to look them over. The rebuildable piece from the Katech flywheel looked normal. The friction disk was only .015" thinner than new (probably has another 100k miles in it the way I've been driving.) However, we found a surprise.

Some sort of insulating material had gotten in to the clutch and packed in to the clearance around the captured disk. It looks like some sort of brown almost hair like fiberglass material.

Any idea where this could have come from and/or how it got in there? I thought the only way into the bell housing was a vent hole and there is way too much of this stuff to have just come in through a small hole.

Since the parts have little wear should I be able to clean this thing out and sell it?

FuzzyLogic
04-25-13, 08:53 PM
It must've come from the heatshield surrounding the transmission. That's the only insulating material in the vicinity.

rand49er
04-25-13, 10:24 PM
Why would that have been drawn in there?

I'm coming up to 10k miles on my Katech LS9 clutch, and it's not exhibiting anything out of the ordinary.

ronr
04-27-13, 08:02 PM
Mystery solved. I spent some time today picking apart the old clutch and what I thought was insulation was actually the fiber glass binder from the captured disk which seems to have come apart. With the other disk only showing .015" wear it sounds like a defective clutch to me :(

PISNUOFF
04-27-13, 08:41 PM
It sounds like it can't handle the 4000# car to me. :hide:

FuzzyLogic
04-27-13, 09:35 PM
It sounds like it can't handle the 4000# car to me. :hide:

We need a PISNUOFF Certified™ parts list.

ronr
05-06-13, 04:19 AM
I sent some pic's to the guys at Katech and their hypothesis was:

"That's caused by over-revving the drivetrain. For example, if you go for a 2-3 shift and accidently put it in first, but don't let the clutch out the input shaft and clutch disks are going drivetrain speed. At 10,000 RPM those disks can come apart. The burst speed is much lower when cold also."

HAMSTAR
05-06-13, 07:24 AM
We need a PISNUOFF Certified™ parts list.

Said list would be very short

----------

I sent some pic's to the guys at Katech and their hypothesis was:

"That's caused by over-revving the drivetrain. For example, if you go for a 2-3 shift and accidently put it in first, but don't let the clutch out the input shaft and clutch disks are going drivetrain speed. At 10,000 RPM those disks can come apart. The burst speed is much lower when cold also."

**** that. That is a real ******* explanation.

PISNUOFF
05-06-13, 09:00 AM
My discs looked perfect when the straps broke on both of my LS9's.

ronr
05-06-13, 05:28 PM
Here's a pic showing some of the carnage. Straps were fine.

ronr
05-10-13, 09:19 AM
Does anyone reman these to replace the captive disk?

killernoodle
05-13-13, 12:23 PM
It seems like you would be able to drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts on the captive disk. I wouldn't be afraid of doing that.

Use grade 12.9 bolts and loctite.

Harder part is going to be finding replacement friction disks.

Den_93
05-13-13, 03:42 PM
You can buy a new presure plate and disk online for about $450 GM PN# 24260226 AC# 24260226. Theres a dealer in New Hudson if you want to save on shipping.

ronr
05-15-13, 06:19 PM
Thanks, I may give that a try.