: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run away?

Cadillac_Fan
04-25-13, 04:58 PM
For me, it is ostentatious, oversized rims and "little old lady" stories. I also get a kick out of "the car doesn't currently run - it just needs a $10 part from the salvage yard" line.

Ranger
04-25-13, 05:03 PM
Reminds me of a '93 Deville I went to look at many, many moons ago. The lifters where ticking like a Singer sewing machine. She said all it needed was an oil change. :bigroll: I might have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night.

dkozloski
04-25-13, 05:09 PM
A pool of anti-freeze/oil mixture running out from underneath. A big cloud of oil smoke that "clears when it warms up".

Rolex
04-25-13, 05:14 PM
"What do we have to do to get this deal done today?"

"How much do you want to spend per month?"

bigm57ict
04-25-13, 05:47 PM
"Mechanic's Special"

Kingoftypos
04-25-13, 05:53 PM
Back in the 90's. a local dealership had this thing going on. Where you went inside and grabbed a sign. The sign said "Just looking!" so you'll just show a sales rep when they come around to talk with you. Kind of reminded me if Bill Envall's "here's your sign."

KOT

Submariner409
04-25-13, 05:58 PM
Aftermarket wheels. Excessive window tint. Evidence of tinkering with the air intake system. K&N anything. Evidence of tinkering with the OEM suspension. Aftermarket sound system. Hack jobs for muffler "upgrades". Oddball alarm and remote start systems, especially along with amateur install work. Rust in the lower fender and door seams. Over 100K miles. For a Northstar engine, earlier than year model 2000. An uncomfortable feeling that a transmission or clutch is not just right. Filthy oil on the engine dipstick. Overfilled transmission. ANY evidence of oil, gas or coolant snake oil use.

orconn
04-25-13, 06:05 PM
Anything but a relative low mileage 100% original car, preferably one or maybe two adult owner car, paper work to support the car was serviced according to manufacturers recommendation and by an authorized dealer. I have had good luck with all three of the Sevilles I have owned!

rodnok01
04-25-13, 06:15 PM
I can handle lack of maintenance over hack jobs. It's usually pretty obvious when a car has been rode hard and put away wet. The only time I didn't go with my first instinct I got burned.

Kingoftypos
04-25-13, 06:28 PM
How about...

"This car was owned by one of our mechanics."

Yeah, and is that supposed to impress me? We all know that a mechanic doesn't work on their own cars properly because they've been doing it all day at work.

KOT

Hoosier Daddy
04-25-13, 07:23 PM
Red Flag? If it was ever owned by one guy that worked for me.

Great human being but didn't care a thing about cars.

He NEVER washed his car. He still had the window sticker glue rectangle on the car 4 years after purchase. The car looked so bad that the dealer took their logo and license frame off the car when he had it in for service.

But he made the best trade-in deal I ever saw. I went with him to pick up his new car. I am not making this up, the back seat of his old car was filled with fast food bags and wrappers. I mean filled, like to the bottom of the windows. The dash, console and even headliner were covered with dried sticky brown liquid, apparently from an emergency stop while holding a Big Gulp. In the passenger seat footwell he had a can of oil, a half empty bottle of antifreeze and some jumper cables. He told me he hoped we didn't need to stop many times because the clutch was going out. And it was. The last few miles it was slipping even in low gears at low RPMs. Now he had never talked trade but told them he wanted to trade his old car in and wanted $6,000. High private sale blue book was probably around $4k. But it was the worst shape car I had ever seen. You would have to pay me $1,000 to take it. The salesman had seen the car and decided he could just kill the trade in by low balling. So he offered him $1000, positive the buyer who wanted $6k would reject the offer. His mouth wasn't even closed before my friend said: "deal".

ted tcb
04-25-13, 07:53 PM
Red flags for me?

Any ad that states "selling for friend" or "must sell, leaving country".
Any ad on a pre 04 Northstar that reads "new rad or water pump or serviced cooling system, etc"

Jesda
04-25-13, 09:36 PM
Any ad on a pre 04 Northstar that reads "new rad or water pump or serviced cooling system, etc"

Likewise for all H-4 Subarus. Learned that one the hard way this month.

Cadillac Kid03
04-25-13, 10:47 PM
Well from the years i'v watched my family buy cars and since i'v only really bought two cars in my life. One time back when my father bought a 98 Deville nice car but he was looking for a 00-01 Eldo in white well we went to our local dealer Gold Coast. And they had one Eldo that was a 2000 in white ETC if i recall and there was a huge dent in the bumper well at that time back then the car was still going for a ton! So my father asked the salesmen if they would fix that dent if he bought it. The salesmen said no because you were buying a used car that has 28K miles so my father walked away from that car and found the 98 that was perfect. There's been countless times where we have walked away from a car even new because of little things. Like the one me and my father went to look at the speedo was stuck at 40mph and a plastic piece off of the turn signal. The dealer said they would fix only the Speedo since that was a safety hazzard. That's all long post from me!

77CDV
04-25-13, 11:22 PM
Strange noises and modifications. Also, evidence of a lack of regular maintanence.

MrHolland
04-26-13, 12:46 AM
Blue Oval....

Aron9000
04-26-13, 02:39 AM
Wheels larger than 18" on cars, car probably still wreaks of weed on the inside, judging by who drives cars with ridiculous wheels. Speaking of that, anybody who smokes in their car, if it smells like a bowling alley, forgitaboutittt.

Newer cars with trashed/nasty interiors. If you can't even keep the inside halfway clean, I know you never bothered with oil changes or other such "trivial" things.

ben.gators
04-26-13, 04:21 AM
This is a very good question!

There are two types of red flags that make me walk/run away; red flags related to the dealer, red flags about the car itself.

Red flags related to the dealer:
1- The sales guy complements me, my car, or the car that I am looking at too much and/or in a creepy way!
Example 1: Sales guy: "I wish i looked like you because I would be able to pick up girls on a daily basis"! WTF!? Seriously?
Example 2: I parked in front of the office and walked into the office. The sales manager knows me and knows that how much I love my Cadillac. Sales manager: "We all were looking at your Cadillac saying that what a clean car you have", and I was in an Audi dealership!
Example 3: Sales guy who is trying to convince me to buy a Camaro: "test drive this car around and you will see how many girls will check you and you car out!

2- When I See a dirty, damaged car with problems sitting on the lot and the sales guy tries to convince me that they will fix all of the problems if I buy the car!

3- When the dealer tries to hide or underrate the problems!

4- When I mention the problems of the car and the guy stares at me and says that the car is used and it is normal, while my 14 year old Cadillac with 146k miles on it is cleaner and in better shape than their 5 year old car with just 50k!

5- When the seller says that the price is firm and asks me do I negotiate when I go to buy grocery.

====
Red flags related to the car:
1- Any form of "upgrade", modification, or aftermarket thing on the car is a red flag for me.
2- Dirty, trashed interior.
3- If the engine or transmission is replaced a few months ago! It begs the question if the owner has spent so much money to replace engine or transmission, why he is selling the car now?
4- Any funny or strange noise, smell, or vibration.

bigm57ict
04-26-13, 09:50 AM
How about...

"This car was owned by one of our mechanics."

Yeah, and is that supposed to impress me? We all know that a mechanic doesn't work on their own cars properly because they've been doing it all day at work.
KOT

..and when a mechanic decides it's time to just get rid of the car, you probably don't want it.

The car looked so bad that the dealer took their logo and license frame off the car when he had it in for service.

:histeric:

----------

3- If the engine or transmission is replaced a few months ago! It begs the question if the owner has spent so much money to replace engine or transmission, why he is selling the car now?

Amen! I've always wondered about this when i see an ad that says "less than 5000 miles on rebuilt/new engine".

ted tcb
04-26-13, 10:11 AM
Likewise for all H-4 Subarus. Learned that one the hard way this month.

I love used Outback wagons, living in a climate similar to St. Louis. But, I would only buy a used Outback if the HG had been done very recently. Likely,
I would look for the 3.0 six cylinder. Gas mileage seems to be about the same, and that motor has avoided the Subaru HG plague.

cadillac kevin
04-26-13, 10:15 AM
..and when a mechanic decides it's time to just get rid of the car, you probably don't want it.

:histeric:

----------

Amen! I've always wondered about this when i see an ad that says "less than 5000 miles on rebuilt/new engine".

A friend of mine bought a 190k suburban for 1800 with a trans with 3 months on it.....I wouldn't say the truck is a money pit (needed tires, brakes, and the rear end rebuilt), but it sure isn't in the best of shape (then again, against my advise, he bought it at night)....he woke up in the morning to find (surprise!) that he bought a rustbucket truck with a rotted out cargo doors sill, rusty fenders, quarters, and rockers

BigCadMan_1
04-27-13, 01:17 AM
Aftermarket wheels. Excessive window tint. Evidence of tinkering with the air intake system. K&N anything. Evidence of tinkering with the OEM suspension. Aftermarket sound system. Hack jobs for muffler "upgrades". Oddball alarm and remote start systems, especially along with amateur install work. Rust in the lower fender and door seams. Over 100K miles. For a Northstar engine, earlier than year model 2000. An uncomfortable feeling that a transmission or clutch is not just right. Filthy oil on the engine dipstick. Overfilled transmission. ANY evidence of oil, gas or coolant snake oil use.

Oh boy, this is just about every used car in Montreal!

Aztec ETC ECS
04-28-13, 11:27 AM
code p1258

BlazerZR5
04-28-13, 03:02 PM
"Mechanic's Special"

^I actually look for that! everything is negotiable as long as the price is.

I try to stay away from "main body damage"AKA roof,quarter panel..stuff like that,that requires welding or body filler. a bent up door,or fender is fine.even a bent frame as long as it unbolts.I stay away from "repainted" vehicles too. I'll buy a wreck long before I buy a rebuilt wreck.

^This,lol. I'm a mechanic,when I sell a vehicle it was either put together cheap as possible intended for resale,it's at the point the value is less then the repairs,or I pieced it together from scraps parts or seconds that came from another vehicle I'm keeping,haha.

True story:D

cadillac kevin
04-28-13, 03:14 PM
^I actually look for that! everything is negotiable as long as the price is.

I try to stay away from "main body damage"AKA roof,quarter panel..stuff like that,that requires welding or body filler. a bent up door,or fender is fine.even a bent frame as long as it unbolts.I stay away from "repainted" vehicles too. I'll buy a wreck long before I buy a rebuilt wreck.

This. I bought my 00 safari with a bad motor BECAUSE it had a bad motor (cheap, and because I had a motor in a totaled van, even with labor, purchase price+ engine swap came in at about 1/3 book of the 00)
I also bought my cadillac knowing it had some rust (on the door bottoms) and piddly body damage. I can fix that (or unbolt and swap parts)

The main points I look for are- not overly trashed interior, good mechanical condition, no frame damage or frame rot/ underbody rot, no major rust on welded on body panels, no aftermarket rims/ jacked up suspension mods, no ghetto stereo installation

Kev
04-28-13, 09:58 PM
#1. The seller is a college student.

Ranger
04-28-13, 10:02 PM
#2. The seller is a high school student. :getaway:

Kev
04-28-13, 10:06 PM
#3. The seller is an independent used car lot and the top of the salesman's shirt is open and he has one or more prominent gold chains around his neck . . . . .

(sorry Tony!) :D

Kingoftypos
04-28-13, 10:10 PM
#4. All the above...

Sorry, I had nothing.

KOT

Kev
04-28-13, 10:12 PM
^ well, that was definitely a typo! :thepan:

:D

MotownPimp
04-29-13, 02:59 PM
Never buy a used car without having a good mechanic bless it. Best 100 bucks or so you will ever spend. If seller won't take (or let you take) car to mechanic, walk.

Cadillac_Fan
05-23-13, 04:04 PM
I looked at a Seville online today and the ad photos showed bottles of coolant on the passenger seat. Big red flag.

EcSTSatic
05-23-13, 04:38 PM
Consumer Tip#5: When buying a used car, check the radio's push buttons. If they are all set on rock stations, the transmission is probably shot.

Aztec ETC ECS
05-23-13, 10:29 PM
Dead sea animals or smell of the ocean. (after Sandy anyway)(east coast thing)

Cadillac_Fan
08-26-13, 03:05 AM
A new sales description I read today for a 1995 Seville STS:

"AC works great. Just needs a new compressor and a charge. No more than $20 at the junkyard."

lacville78
08-26-13, 05:47 AM
I am a bit late to the party, but here are my red flags.

Aftermarket steering wheels, Thick engine oil, Duralast parts, High engine idle and Poorly routed aftermarket spark plug wires (usually go hand in hand), fram oil filter, discolored transmission fluid, Giant red wire going from the battery from a former boom box install, Discolored coolant, Non functional Airconditioning, Cheap Tires, Squeaky Ball joints (Chrysler, and Ford), Ticks, Taps, Knocks from the engine and blow by coming from the oil fill cap, Transmission slippage or torque converter shudder, I would say engine mods or anything like that, but I don't usually buy the type of cars that people tune on.

I also turn the key on, and look for functioning idiot lights, then start and look for them.

Pictures of the car taken while the car is still wet from hosing it off!

Then I look at the seller, I avoid Youngsters, and people from the economic lower class. (Takes one to know one :) )

Now of course, these are general rules, I've bought many beater cars for the right price with a red flag or two.

Also Cars parked in Gas Station Parking lots with for sale signs.

And the obligatory:
Fords, Dodges (Other than slant six), Chevrolet 3100 and that goofy Vega engine, and Cadillac Diesel and Cadillac 4.x engines (Don't wanna ruffle any feathers, but my money, my choice)

Also any kind of missing parts, Once I was looking at getting a Monte Carlo with T-Tops, but one was missing, The Owner told me it fell into the Gulf of Mexico while he was fishing, BUT ITS COOL because he can tell me exactly where it was at, Uhhhh yaa, I'm not scuba diving! I passed.

Submariner409
08-26-13, 07:58 AM
............ You need to test drive a F-150 XLT or Lariat. Very surprising. (Either V-8)

Jesda
08-26-13, 08:45 AM
Bottles of fluids in the trunk or evidence of spilled fluids around the power steering reservoir or trans filler.

An engine that's fully warmed up when you arrive, masking cold idle or cold start issues.

HAZZARDJOHN
08-26-13, 11:17 AM
I always start talking to the owner about Music, if he mentions Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, or anything by Bon Jovi (I love Classic Rock BTW) I know he would have a mullet in five minutes if they became fashionable again. Which translates to neutral drops, brake stands, and down shifting into first to hear the pipes rattle at 40. Dale Earnhardt Stickers = run!

bigm57ict
08-26-13, 11:29 AM
Keep in mind, many fans of that music have aged a bit. It may have been many years since they drove a car like that. :)

HAZZARDJOHN
08-26-13, 11:33 AM
Keep in mind, many fans of that music have aged a bit. It may have been many years since they drove a car like that. :)

It has to do with the enthusiasm he has for the music. Any Air guitar playing while talking about Zeppelin is a bad sign. Also Wallet chains, and black Jeans with a skoal ring = run, or be prepared to talk about Smokey and the Bandit.

amunderdog
08-26-13, 11:56 AM
Cars that have been highly detailed scare me.
When i open the hood and everything has been shined; i will generally walk away.

Cadillac_Fan
08-26-13, 12:44 PM
It has to do with the enthusiasm he has for the music. Any Air guitar playing while talking about Zeppelin is a bad sign. Also Wallet chains, and black Jeans with a skoal ring = run, or be prepared to talk about Smokey and the Bandit.

Hilarious, yet true, characterizations to make a buyer give pause. "Any air guitar playing..black jeans with a skoal ring..." LOL!

cadillac kevin
08-26-13, 02:54 PM
I am a bit late to the party, but here are my red flags.

Aftermarket steering wheels, Thick engine oil, Duralast parts, High engine idle and Poorly routed aftermarket spark plug wires (usually go hand in hand), fram oil filter, discolored transmission fluid, Giant red wire going from the battery from a former boom box install, Discolored coolant, Non functional Airconditioning, Cheap Tires, Squeaky Ball joints (Chrysler, and Ford), Ticks, Taps, Knocks from the engine and blow by coming from the oil fill cap, Transmission slippage or torque converter shudder, I would say engine mods or anything like that, but I don't usually buy the type of cars that people tune on.

I also turn the key on, and look for functioning idiot lights, then start and look for them.

Pictures of the car taken while the car is still wet from hosing it off!

Then I look at the seller, I avoid Youngsters, and people from the economic lower class. (Takes one to know one :) )

Now of course, these are general rules, I've bought many beater cars for the right price with a red flag or two.

Also Cars parked in Gas Station Parking lots with for sale signs.

And the obligatory:
Fords, Dodges (Other than slant six), Chevrolet 3100 and that goofy Vega engine, and Cadillac Diesel and Cadillac 4.x engines (Don't wanna ruffle any feathers, but my money, my choice)

Also any kind of missing parts, Once I was looking at getting a Monte Carlo with T-Tops, but one was missing, The Owner told me it fell into the Gulf of Mexico while he was fishing, BUT ITS COOL because he can tell me exactly where it was at, Uhhhh yaa, I'm not scuba diving! I passed.

Just saying, my 87 silverado had like half of those things wrong with it....heavily worn steering, broken column, cheap tires,chrome valve covers (which I HATE and will be replacing with stock ones), duralast battery (of course it was dead), in a used tire shop lot in a hillbilly town ("cheapie's used tires"). Trans was toast too. It did have newer (but not that new) spark plugs and good oil though. It was a shitty truck, but had a nice engine in it.

And whats wrong with fram oil filters?

orconn
08-26-13, 03:22 PM
A bong in the ash tray always got me walkin'

Kingoftypos
08-26-13, 04:34 PM
After buying two cars that had a "clean" Car Fax. Which wasn't the reason why I bought those two cars, it was just provided by the dealers. I will now be very wary of a clean Car Fax or anything from Car Fax from now on. I never really trusted it before and I most certainly do not now.

Even a Certified Pre-owned I would be wary about.

KOT

Cadillac_Fan
08-26-13, 05:22 PM
After buying two cars that had a "clean" Car Fax. Which wasn't the reason why I bought those two cars, it was just provided by the dealers. I will now be very wary of a clean Car Fax or anything from Car Fax from now on. I never really trusted it before and I most certainly do not now.

Even a Certified Pre-owned I would be wary about.

KOT

King-

I have heard the myth of CarFax reliability. Did you personally get burned on a deal(s)? What did you discover or what was the revelation post-purchase? I've heard there is another service similar to CarFax, yet its name escapes me at the moment. I wonder if it is any more valuable?

lacville78
08-26-13, 05:52 PM
Just saying, my 87 silverado had like half of those things wrong with it....heavily worn steering, broken column, cheap tires,chrome valve covers (which I HATE and will be replacing with stock ones), duralast battery (of course it was dead), in a used tire shop lot in a hillbilly town ("cheapie's used tires"). Trans was toast too. It did have newer (but not that new) spark plugs and good oil though. It was a shitty truck, but had a nice engine in it.

And whats wrong with fram oil filters?

Yup, I bought an 85 Camaro off a hillbilly years ago (mullet and everything), I saw somethings wrong with it and gave him scrap price for it. He told me the engine was bad and the transmission was good. It turned out the engine ran great, but the reverse gear was out. The engine just needed some plugs and an oil change. But it ran very, very smooth. So ya, you can break the rules and score a deal or two, but the rules just kind of help me Watch out for trouble, offer a stupid low price, and get it for next to nothing or walk. You might pass a deal or two, but I feel you can avoid a lot of trouble not paying much when there are red flags.

Also, Fram Oil Filters. First I would like to say, I was a Frammer, my brother was a Frammer, and my dad who is 74 was a Frammer from waay back. Basically I was doing some research about oil and filters, I think I was really looking into the lack of ZDDP in modern oils (Which is a big issue I should bring up one day!) anyhow, I come across a thread where a guy started cutting the housing on oil filters and showing the element in them. There was a ton of bad talk about the frams. This made me nervous, so I googled it and even more bad stuff about fram filters comes up.

So... I become leary, and do some experimenting on cars that would come in to my dad's shop. I just quit buying Frams and would stick stock filters on their cars, Deco/ Motorcraft etc.. So then I notice certain cars would come in with engine tapping at cold start up, I would get that Fram off of there, and change the oil, let the car sit for a good while, and no more cold tapping. Later on I quit putting Frams on my own cars, Then one of my brother's cars had the same thing going on with the cold tapping, I told him about the Fram filter, and he decided to try another filter the next time he changed his oil, After he did that no more cold tapping since, He got off the Fram, my dad said they used to be good filters back in the day, but after talking with him and telling him everything I knew he decided to stop Framming Cold- Turkey. The last case of someone framming I dealt with was a late 90s silverado with a small block in it, The guy was a good friend of the family and he comes over and we all go out to eat in our van, afterwards we get back home, he fires up his truck, and I hear the cold tapping, I run up and ask him if there is a Fram on there, he says yes, I said listen to that noise, switch to Deco and it won't do that at start up anymore. It worked, and since then he has been off the Fram with no relapses. I guess the temptation of the Fram is the low- low price, but starving the engine for oil at startup doesn't seem worth it to me.

BlueAngel#07
08-26-13, 06:49 PM
NO ENGINE lol

Kingoftypos
08-26-13, 08:40 PM
King-

I have heard the myth of CarFax reliability. Did you personally get burned on a deal(s)? What did you discover or what was the revelation post-purchase? I've heard there is another service similar to CarFax, yet its name escapes me at the moment. I wonder if it is any more valuable?

The first car was a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am, bought in 2006. The first thing that was noticeably wrong was the driver's mirror. The inside controls were making it go every which way but the way that I was pressing the button. So I took it to a MG dealer as it was still in manufactures warranty, bought at a Mitsubishi dealer. The GM dealer said that can't work on it because it's been in an accident and it's not covered by warranty, which is perfectly understandable. They only saw this when they took the door apart and saw that the bracing was bent, which they showed me. So I took it back to the dealer that I bought it from, demanded a Car Fax and have them fix it. The fixed the mirror and bent back the brace, and of course the Car Fax was "clean".

The second car is my current 2006 Cadillac CTS, bought in 2008. I bought it from a dealer that was over 90 minutes away from me. So there was no way that I was gonna take it there for repairs. But thankfully there was nothing wrong with it from the accident that wasn't reported to Car Fax. I only knew that it was because when I removed the bumper cover to replace the headlight bulbs, poor design GM *ahem*. I saw that the bumper was bent in on the driver side. After that I noticed that, I saw the over spray from the front quarter panel under the hood. Then it was mentioned to me again when I got into my front in crash in late 2009. The auto body shop pointed it out to me, but I already knew about it or at least assumed.

It would be rather interesting to see if my crash is on Car Fax though, which I doubt.

KOT

thebigjimsho
08-27-13, 01:09 PM
Yup, I bought an 85 Camaro off a hillbilly years ago (mullet and everything), I saw somethings wrong with it and gave him scrap price for it. He told me the engine was bad and the transmission was good. It turned out the engine ran great, but the reverse gear was out. The engine just needed some plugs and an oil change. But it ran very, very smooth. So ya, you can break the rules and score a deal or two, but the rules just kind of help me Watch out for trouble, offer a stupid low price, and get it for next to nothing or walk. You might pass a deal or two, but I feel you can avoid a lot of trouble not paying much when there are red flags.

Also, Fram Oil Filters. First I would like to say, I was a Frammer, my brother was a Frammer, and my dad who is 74 was a Frammer from waay back. Basically I was doing some research about oil and filters, I think I was really looking into the lack of ZDDP in modern oils (Which is a big issue I should bring up one day!) anyhow, I come across a thread where a guy started cutting the housing on oil filters and showing the element in them. There was a ton of bad talk about the frams. This made me nervous, so I googled it and even more bad stuff about fram filters comes up.

So... I become leary, and do some experimenting on cars that would come in to my dad's shop. I just quit buying Frams and would stick stock filters on their cars, Deco/ Motorcraft etc.. So then I notice certain cars would come in with engine tapping at cold start up, I would get that Fram off of there, and change the oil, let the car sit for a good while, and no more cold tapping. Later on I quit putting Frams on my own cars, Then one of my brother's cars had the same thing going on with the cold tapping, I told him about the Fram filter, and he decided to try another filter the next time he changed his oil, After he did that no more cold tapping since, He got off the Fram, my dad said they used to be good filters back in the day, but after talking with him and telling him everything I knew he decided to stop Framming Cold- Turkey. The last case of someone framming I dealt with was a late 90s silverado with a small block in it, The guy was a good friend of the family and he comes over and we all go out to eat in our van, afterwards we get back home, he fires up his truck, and I hear the cold tapping, I run up and ask him if there is a Fram on there, he says yes, I said listen to that noise, switch to Deco and it won't do that at start up anymore. It worked, and since then he has been off the Fram with no relapses. I guess the temptation of the Fram is the low- low price, but starving the engine for oil at startup doesn't seem worth it to me.

This on Fram filters. NEVER again on any car for me!

----------

Cars that have been highly detailed scare me.
When i open the hood and everything has been shined; i will generally walk away.

No, not for me. Ones that are well detailed may mean they know their way around cars.

The ones that are sloppily detailed are the ones I stay away from. Spraying your entire interior down in Armor All. Detailing the paint but having wheel wells that look disgusting are big red flags to me...

2manyhotrods
08-27-13, 08:26 PM
Red flag to me as an automobile dealer. 3 BIG issues seen on Carfax occasionally.
1. Accident, towed from the scene.
2. Accident, Air bag deployed.
3. Accident, structural damage.

I completely loose interest when I read those statements. Cuts the value in half!

As a seller can you explain to a buyer around that?

PRIOR reconstructed-salvage is another toughie but a very cheap price can overcome that one. The word PRIOR is important, it means it was repaired, inspected and made road. worthy again.
If the word PRIOR is missing........you got lot of work ahead of you.

----------

Red flag to me as an automobile dealer. 3 BIG issues seen on Carfax occasionally.
1. Accident, towed from the scene.
2. Accident, Air bag deployed.
3. Accident, structural damage.

I completely loose interest when I read those statements. Cuts the value in half!

As a seller can you explain to a buyer around that?

Prior reconstructed-salvage is another toughie but a very cheap price can overcome that one. The word PRIOR is important, it means it was repaired, inspected and made road. worthy again.
If the word PRIOR is missing........you got lot of work ahead of you.

Just my view on it.

CadillacLuke24
08-28-13, 01:55 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Cadillac-Ran-excellant-until-parked-3-years-ago-needs-TLC-/111154326428?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19e1506b9c

Ran great until parked 3 years ago...

Kingoftypos
08-28-13, 02:56 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Cadillac-Ran-excellant-until-parked-3-years-ago-needs-TLC-/111154326428?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19e1506b9c

Ran great until parked 3 years ago...

Hmmm, New York plates and it's located in Danbury, Connecticut. Must of gone on a run, parked it and said f-it when it wouldn't start. lol

KOT

2manyhotrods
08-29-13, 10:36 AM
Big cigarette burns allover the interior. A huge turn off,
From there I just move on to the next case.

bigm57ict
08-29-13, 12:58 PM
Any car I buy has to be a non-smoker.
I always check the ashtrays. If they've been used, I walk.

orconn
08-29-13, 01:13 PM
When it comes to Cadillacs, I always walk when there is a certain smell and the trunk won't open!

dkozloski
08-29-13, 01:32 PM
A local drug dealer was found in the trunk of his Cadillac after he'd been misssing for a long hot summer. When it was all said and done they couldn't even sell the parts off the car they stank so bad. A steam cleaner didn't help.

EcSTSatic
08-29-13, 02:31 PM
A local drug dealer was found in the trunk of his Cadillac after he'd been misssing for a long hot summer. When it was all said and done they couldn't even sell the parts off the car they stank so bad. A steam cleaner didn't help.

Whatever happened to cement overshoes and sleeping with the fish? Did they have to ruin a Cadillac?

orconn
08-29-13, 03:29 PM
With the public's concern over water pollution and the cost of cement these days it is just cheaper to use an old Cadillac!

stoveguyy
08-29-13, 06:26 PM
I looked at a car with 4 different brand tires. Ok, 5, spare was GM?

02603sec
08-29-13, 08:58 PM
I have bought so many different cars, trucks and motorcycles. Theft recovery Vettes are my favorite. I once bought a no-start crew cab gmc after noting the dust shadow fuel pump relay. One thing is certain... I will not ever buy a vehicle with a torn drivers seat. That alone tells you the previous owners were not careful enough, or just downright didnt care. Jesda says to look for fluid stains in the trunk and the carpets.. I will agree.

I get grossed out to the point of claustrophobia in a dirty greasy car.. Taxis and cop cars come mind.

CadillacLuke24
09-05-13, 02:19 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-WHITE-4-DR-SEDAN-FULLY-GARAGED-LOW-MILEAGE-/151115118775?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232f29b8b7

Driven by women. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :duck:

Aron9000
09-05-13, 03:10 AM
^Depends on the woman, some of them do keep their car nice and take pride in it.

CadillacLuke24
09-05-13, 06:29 PM
^Depends on the woman, some of them do keep their car nice and take pride in it.

This is likely true. I myself have yet to encounter such a woman.

DBA-One
09-05-13, 09:02 PM
Armor All on crap tires
"I take care of my car" says the seller but it is dirty and no service history
"It has never been in a wreck and the CarFax history proves it" and yet, there is paint over-spray on the car.
"It just needs refrigerant and then the AC will work just fine" then why didn't you spend the 20 bucks to make that happen?
Owners manual is missing. Why? Put it back in the glove box after use.

Just a few

trailor
09-05-13, 10:00 PM
I've never looked at a Carfax in my life when I've purchased a car. Then again, before I had grown up responsibilities, the car never remained stocked as soon as I bought it. Never really cared. I keep every single record once I own, including gas receipts.

My grandpa kept a small notebook and every time he filled up, he wrote the mileage And how much money he put in. Once a got my license, I have done the same.

Black Beauty DTS
09-06-13, 07:58 PM
This is likely true. I myself have yet to encounter such a woman.

LOL....so true. If it is clean or well kept, it's most likely taken to a detailer. Reminds me of this woman I know who has a Porsche 911 that is kept clean and nice, but if you were to judge her by that car you would be totally wrong. That car was periodically detailed.

However, she also had a daily driver "beater car" that was an absolute mess. So bad that I never wanted to ride in it. She would always tell me "you want to ride in my car", and I would smile and say "I'll take my car".:D Then again, sometimes I wonder if it was a test or a come on line.:suspense:

CadillacLuke24
09-06-13, 10:34 PM
LOL....so true. If it is clean or well kept, it's most likely taken to a detailer. Reminds me of this woman I know who has a Porsche 911 that is kept clean and nice, but if you were to judge her by that car you would be totally wrong. That car was periodically detailed.

However, she also had a daily driver "beater car" that was an absolute mess. So bad that I never wanted to ride in it. She would always tell me "you want to ride in my car", and I would smile and say "I'll take my car".:D Then again, sometimes I wonder if it was a test or a come on line.:suspense:

Yup. for better or worse, my mother is generally my gauge for the general female population, along with my sisters, and going off that, cars are giant purses with wheels. Nothing more, and often a LOT less.

the recluse
09-08-13, 05:03 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-WHITE-4-DR-SEDAN-FULLY-GARAGED-LOW-MILEAGE-/151115118775?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232f29b8b7

Driven by women. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :duck:

Too funny...and when was 128,000 "low miles"?

----------

Yup. for better or worse, my mother is generally my gauge for the general female population, along with my sisters, and going off that, cars are giant purses with wheels. Nothing more, and often a LOT less.

You should see it when my wife borrows my sons car for a few days...all kinds of crap in it...and when she has a planned meeting or something, the yard becomes the trash can...pisses me off to open the front door on the way to work and see a plastic cup, soda bottle, or some other container of food or beverage in the grass where the car once sat...

That being said, she does check all the fluids every few days and washes the car(s) at least twice a month...

ThumperPup
09-08-13, 07:24 AM
When it comes to Cadillacs, I always walk when there is a certain smell and the trunk won't open!

Thts why i had trouble selling mine

----------

With the public's concern over water pollution and the cost of cement these days it is just cheaper to use an old Cadillac!

Yup just go get a blown one much cheaper and less time consuming
1 to the back of the head and 2 to the chest and a cadillac trunk

CadillacLuke24
09-08-13, 07:00 PM
Too funny...and when was 128,000 "low miles"?

----------

You should see it when my wife borrows my sons car for a few days...all kinds of crap in it...and when she has a planned meeting or something, the yard becomes the trash can...pisses me off to open the front door on the way to work and see a plastic cup, soda bottle, or some other container of food or beverage in the grass where the car once sat...

That being said, she does check all the fluids every few days and washes the car(s) at least twice a month...

YUP! That's my mom. We'll see how the 19 year old fares with her new 2002 Grand Prix.

My mom? :nono:

Her Volkswagens hit anything and everything that would fall into the "rodent" or "small animal that resides in W. SD that won't render the vehicle inoperable on impact" category.

The inside is a dirt trap, and there's garbage, it's just cleverly hidden.

I fell for my poor Dad. The Escalade USED to be pristine at first, then the kids and mom got a hold of it. It was in ok condition, but the kids had taken their toll. With his new Ford truck it rarely leaves the garage, and if it does usually it's him and one of the boys. Hopefully the DeVille makes it out alive.