: Noise with shifting (6MT)

Kluch
04-25-13, 02:10 PM
So i'll be the first to admit that I suck driving a manual. In fact, the V is the first car I have owned with a stick. I owned an automatic 2011 V coupe, but now own a 2013 manual. I love the car and am so glad I got the manual since I feel so much more connected to her even when I stall. Lol.

Which brings me to my point. I only have 700 miles on the car but i notice that with hard shifting in the low gears (1-3) there seems to be a noise (like something clanging a little) coming from the drive train underneath me. If I am super smooth (a rare occurrence frankly) with my shifts i won't hear it. I googled and read about something called reverse torque maybe causing a noise in the manual cars (maybe the V1). Do other manual owners notice this noise? I have been careful to follow the break-in. I have been practicing driving a manual on the car but have by no means been rough with it. I mean I have stalled a bit, but don't ride the clutch and have never ground the gears. I feel like the noise was present even when i picked it up with 7 miles on it but i can't really recall. Thanks for any thoughts. The car drives fine and I really don't want to take her in to the dealer unless I must.

Mongopush
04-25-13, 03:36 PM
Car only has 700 miles , or just what you put on it? In think the rear end has a decent break in time before I would try quick shifting.

oneman42
04-25-13, 03:50 PM
Car only has 700 miles , or just what you put on it? In think the rear end has a decent break in time before I would try quick shifting.

i picked it up with 7 miles on it

I stalled mine too on the first day on some back roads just for practice until I got a feel for it but other than that is smooooth. Mine had about 3k miles when I bought it, so just give it some more time (miles) and you will get more experience with it too.
George

SecretWeapon
04-25-13, 05:52 PM
Not normal. Check drive shaft brackets.

Ted007
04-25-13, 08:04 PM
As far as I know you should not hear anything when shifting even in the lower gears, except the sound of the engine changing in RPM's as you shift. Could it be this sound you are hearing, I doubt that that is it. Anyway, I would get it checked out. For no one knows your car like you do, no matter what is said here. Use what is said here as a reference, and go from there. From what I have seen here no one will steer you wrong, but the final decision is still yours, and remember, it is your car and you will know any strange sounds better then anyone can describe.

vagondr
04-25-13, 10:29 PM
I've driven a manual car for over forty years yet find this one challenging to launch in first gear. I feel like I'm riding the clutch to get off smoothly. If I'm not thinking and get sloppy in first or second, not giving enough gas and popping the clutch there is a clunk, but only then. I've heard that as the clutch breaks in it's easier. I have 4K miles on the car and still feel I never quite shift the same twice. I think this will become a non-issue with experience. You might change the oil at 2K miles and have the dealer look into it then. How's your launch on hills? I still use the e brake to stop roll back. I miss the old lever hand brake.

neuronbob
04-26-13, 12:29 PM
I've got 5k miles on my 6MT V wagon and yes, 1st is still a little tricky. I do occasionally hear a diff clunk with not enough gas. This has lessened as I've piled on the miles, as the clutch breaks in. Shifting in all other gears is smooth and effortless.

Kluch
04-26-13, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. The noise is def not the rpm change nor the usual rear diff noise. I had them check the fluid in there too as part of the PDI. I wouldn't say i'm shifting hard per say, i'm just not smooth without supreme effort.

Anyway, i am about 2.5 hours from the dealer I trust (Lindsay) and will have them take a look when i need some routine maintenance. Maybe it will break in or maybe something just needs tightening. Idk. Maybe it will end up that I need a new rear diff. I will post follow-up when i get her looked at. For now i'm just gonna enjoy driving. As I said, she drives fine. I just need more time behind the wheel to feel more comfortable.

I will say that i notice this noise (maybe a clunk) when i shift and the car bucks a bit. If the shift is seemless, no noise.

And i'm in delaware- absolutely no hills here so I can't comment on launch. Though i admit that when i pull her i to the garage up a tiny incline i do need to ride the clutch so I creep and don't go too fast or stall.

Xaqtly
04-26-13, 06:29 PM
FWIW you can start from a stop using only the clutch and not the gas, you just have to do it relatively slowly. When you start to let the clutch out it'll start to bog, so the car's ECU will raise the RPMs a bit and you can keep letting the clutch out. This trick works better in Vettes because they're so much lighter, but you can still do it in the V. If I'm in traffic and the speed is less than 5 MPH, I use this method to keep moving, no throttle input. Idle in 1st gear is 5 MPH, idle in 2nd is 9 MPH. You can use that as a reference, so if you're slowing down and you're around 9 MPH, you can just put it in second and let the clutch out. Nice and smooth.

Also the V has so much torque you can idle up pretty much any hill. So when you pull up to your driveway just go into 1st gear and idle up the hill, and push the clutch in to coast to where you want it to be. All of this is easier on the clutch than riding it while applying throttle.

neuronbob
04-27-13, 08:07 AM
FWIW you can start from a stop using only the clutch and not the gas, you just have to do it relatively slowly. When you start to let the clutch out it'll start to bog, so the car's ECU will raise the RPMs a bit and you can keep letting the clutch out. This trick works better in Vettes because they're so much lighter, but you can still do it in the V. If I'm in traffic and the speed is less than 5 MPH, I use this method to keep moving, no throttle input. Idle in 1st gear is 5 MPH, idle in 2nd is 9 MPH. You can use that as a reference, so if you're slowing down and you're around 9 MPH, you can just put it in second and let the clutch out. Nice and smooth.

Also the V has so much torque you can idle up pretty much any hill. So when you pull up to your driveway just go into 1st gear and idle up the hill, and push the clutch in to coast to where you want it to be. All of this is easier on the clutch than riding it while applying throttle.

I "liked" your post after reading it yesterday. I tried what you said today on the way into work today. I'd give your post another "like" if I could. This method makes entering first gear an absolute breeze at low speed, totally smooth. I didn't realize the car offered this help and in fact I could probably teach my wife stick on this car now--it's that smooth. BTW, a) it's not in the owner's manual and b) this method works with reverse, too.

So THANK YOU, bud!

oneman42
04-27-13, 02:33 PM
I just came back after a short trip and the thing is working - "I could probably teach my wife stick on this car now" - me too.
Thanks again,
George

Jinx
04-27-13, 06:03 PM
I know technically the Corvette and CTS-V can do this, but I'm not that patient to disengage the clutch that slowly in most situations.

JFJr
04-28-13, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I first found out about that in a parking garage going around a corner with speed bumps. It amazed me at first. Older stick shift cars would have bucked and stalled. I haven't done it lately and usually engage 1st at about 1500 rpm using the throttle.

Jud

triks86
05-09-13, 10:57 PM
I bought the car with 7 miles on it. I heard the noise in the drivetrain/diff ( not sure it just sounded like is was coming from underneath my elbow). It has lessened as I near the 1500
Miles mark, but it is still there under some low gas shift like 1-2 gear and 2-3. But noticeably less as the car has the miles on it.

Tro Budden
05-10-13, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. The noise is def not the rpm change nor the usual rear diff noise. I had them check the fluid in there too as part of the PDI. I wouldn't say i'm shifting hard per say, i'm just not smooth without supreme effort.

Anyway, i am about 2.5 hours from the dealer I trust (Lindsay) and will have them take a look when i need some routine maintenance. Maybe it will break in or maybe something just needs tightening. Idk. Maybe it will end up that I need a new rear diff. I will post follow-up when i get her looked at. For now i'm just gonna enjoy driving. As I said, she drives fine. I just need more time behind the wheel to feel more comfortable.

I will say that i notice this noise (maybe a clunk) when i shift and the car bucks a bit. If the shift is seemless, no noise.

And i'm in delaware- absolutely no hills here so I can't comment on launch. Though i admit that when i pull her i to the garage up a tiny incline i do need to ride the clutch so I creep and don't go too fast or stall.

there is a good chance the noise is being caused when you re-engage the clutch without proper speed match of the newly selected gear. say if you pull out and are at about 1900-2000rpms in 1'st and shift to second without properly speeding up to allow 2'nd gear a easier entry , if you select 2'nd and you are going too slowly its gona buck a little to re compensate for flywheel speed.