: 2006 STS 3.6 Oil Consumption

chachd
04-25-13, 11:06 AM
My 2006 STS with the 3.6 engine, 73000 miles, has been using 1 quart of oil every 7 - 800 miles. I contacted Cadillac Customer Service and did the oil consumption test through my dealer. Cadillac responded and said they wold pay 1/2 of the cost. I appealed through Customer service and was told that's all they would do. I've told the dealer to go ahead with the repairs, which will cost about $2,900 unless the heads need to be rebuilt or $3,300 if they do. I'm very unhappy with GM and Cadillac for not paying the full cost of repairs since this is a widely known problem. In addition to the STS my wife has a 2006 SRX and our daughter has a 2007 CTS. I owned 9 GM vehicles over the years and have supported the domestic auto industry, so thats what you get for loyalty. Guess how many GM cars are in our future!!

Sorry for the rant!!

RippyPartsDept
04-25-13, 11:16 AM
they didn't have to pay anything at all, you know that right?

curtc
04-25-13, 02:37 PM
:yeah: you're lucky Cadillac agreed to pay for half...Your car is way out of its warranty period. I'd say that's damn good customer service since they agreed to help out with the bill even though they have every right not to.

dannyquest
04-25-13, 03:42 PM
chachd, Same thing with my 06 STS V6. I was lucky I caught it Just before the warrenty ran out. The torque converter gave up after the warrenty. It has taken a while but Cadillac paid half for the converter replacement ( $900.) After I paid $130. for the software up date that didn't work. A local Transmission shop quoted me $1000. Plus sales tax. I beleive that no car should have these type of problem with so many cars. Cadillac should step up an correct the issues for there customers if they want return customers. I have only bought american cars & trucks And don't know how Honda, Toyota treat there customers. Some day I may find out. Danny

chachd
04-25-13, 10:09 PM
Yes, I understand that. However, when you do an internet search for any GM vehicle 3.6 V6 oil consumption you come up with thousands of the same type of complaints. I've not found that for any other vehicle. This indicates a flaw either in the engine design or assembly. If this were an isolated instance I would just chalk it up to bad luck. I have always been a defender of the US auto industry and will never buy a Japanese car, but I now know the frustration that many feel with the auto industry. Defend it all you want but a car should not be burning a quart of oil every 800 miles when it has been taken care of and driven carefully.

RippyPartsDept
04-25-13, 10:19 PM
It does not indicate what you claim. It indicates that people with problems with a product will voice their issues online. You have no frame of reference as to how many others are out there without problems.

EChas3
04-25-13, 10:24 PM
How many Toyota engines died due to oil sludge? They denied it for years. There are other such stories.

Ludacrisvp
04-25-13, 10:30 PM
ever notice all the F150s out there that have black front wheels due to oil or some other fluids leaking out onto the rim?

No Brand / Model is going to be trouble free. Cadillac did a favor for you that they didn't need to do.
They did help out a lot of cars that were out of warranty for this issue but they had to draw a line in the sand on the model years they can cover.
Yours is just too old for the free ride, but they still went above the call for you.

Also, babying the car the whole time can be just as bad or even worse then driving it hard.
Perhaps your piston rings are seized up and allowing a lot of oil blow-by because you haven't driven it hard enough.

Another part of it may boil down to the fact that you likely are not the original owner of the car.
There are certain hoops that a dealer will jump through if you were original owner and bought the car from them.

chachd
04-26-13, 08:39 PM
Obviously you've never had the same type of $6,000 problem with a car. Of course I never had either until this STS. I don't buy the driving harder is easier on a car. Why do you think racing engines don't last? The high rpm's wear an engine out faster.
ever notice all the F150s out there that have black front wheels due to oil or some other fluids leaking out onto the rim?

No Brand / Model is going to be trouble free. Cadillac did a favor for you that they didn't need to do.
They did help out a lot of cars that were out of warranty for this issue but they had to draw a line in the sand on the model years they can cover.
Yours is just too old for the free ride, but they still went above the call for you.

Also, babying the car the whole time can be just as bad or even worse then driving it hard.
Perhaps your piston rings are seized up and allowing a lot of oil blow-by because you haven't driven it hard enough.

Another part of it may boil down to the fact that you likely are not the original owner of the car.
There are certain hoops that a dealer will jump through if you were original owner and bought the car from them.

Gonjafishing
04-26-13, 09:04 PM
Race engines dont last because they have barely any miles on them and nothin is properly seated so it always ends bad but when you want to baby a higher performamce engine you will build carbon on your piston rings and they will seize.. Obviously you don want to drive mach chicken everywhere but occasional wide open throttles are good for an engine.

Ludacrisvp
04-26-13, 09:17 PM
Obviously you don want to drive mach chicken everywhere but occasional wide open throttles are good for an engine.
This is what I'm sayin.

fly187
10-18-13, 09:36 AM
That's about the funniest thing I have ever read on here! Ford's Black Rim? Oil leaking on rim. ROFLMAO. THat's would be called brake dust, and people that never wash them. Hell my STS does the same thing on the rear wheels if I start slacking in the wash dept.

R/T kota
10-18-13, 12:49 PM
Defend it all you want but a car should not be burning a quart of oil every 800 miles when it has been taken care of and driven carefully.

GM warranty guy told me the ones that burn oil were driving too easy and oil consumption was due to carbon buil up.

Thats brake dust.

Race engines dont last because they have barely any miles on them and nothin is properly seated so it always ends bad but when you want to baby a higher performamce engine you will build carbon on your piston rings and they will seize.. Obviously you don want to drive mach chicken everywhere but occasional wide open throttles are good for an engine.

We have broke them in on the dyno in 20 minutes. One engine has over 300 passes on it running in the low nines on nitrous. That one had a what we call a 50 foot break in on the street.
A lot don't last long because of the stress on parts that were not made to handle big power and being pushed too hard.

Always good to go w.o.t. to keep the carbon down.

Ludacrisvp
10-18-13, 04:00 PM
That's about the funniest thing I have ever read on here! Ford's Black Rim? Oil leaking on rim. ROFLMAO. THat's would be called brake dust, and people that never wash them. Hell my STS does the same thing on the rear wheels if I start slacking in the wash dept.

It could be brake dust but it always seems to be much worse on one side of the car than the other.

I was told that it was a front diff / CV joint seal that would break open and the way it would typically leak it would run down onto the rim.
This is what I was told while working at a salvage yard when I asked why one of the front wheels on the ford trucks was always worse than the others.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

SC2150
10-18-13, 04:56 PM
GM warranty guy told me the ones that burn oil were driving too easy and oil consumption was due to carbon buil up.

Thats brake dust.

We have broke them in on the dyno in 20 minutes. One engine has over 300 passes on it running in the low nines on nitrous. That one had a what we call a 50 foot break in on the street.
A lot don't last long because of the stress on parts that were not made to handle big power and being pushed too hard.

Always good to go w.o.t. to keep the carbon down.

Good info I agree with. baby these engines that are prefilled with superior protecting oil and odds are the rings will never seat properly. Drive them hard and you usually will not only have no or little oil consumption issues, but more power as well from a proper ring seat. In the first 100 miles (or on the engine dyno, or a couple passes down the track) rings are pretty much seated, if they are going to be. By 500 miles or so, a hard glaze forms on the cylinder walls and the cross=hatch can no longer abrade the rings further so the short window has passed.

We break in with a good ZDP additive conventional oil and then change to a good full syn after 500-1000 miles max.

If you want the carbon deposits to a minimum, then a properly functioning catchcan is your only solution there (R/T, I assume you run a belt driven vacuum pump so no oil ingestion issues). And not just the standard poor performing cans most purchase.

dkozloski
10-18-13, 05:03 PM
FWIW; the old "GM engineer guru" that used to frequent this forum said that the major ring blowby was not between the rings and the cylinder walls but was past the back side of the rings in the ring grooves. My experience managing an aircraft engine overhaul shop bears this out.

R/T kota
10-19-13, 09:45 AM
(R/T, I assume you run a belt driven vacuum pump so no oil ingestion issues). And not just the standard poor performing cans most purchase.

Not yet. Just starting to read up on them. My car is still under construction anyways, and this being my first LSX powered car I have a bit more of a learning curve to deal with.
A couple of the guys have been talking about them and we are impressed with the HP gains seen from them. No one from our group has tried one yet.
Is that your car in your avatar?

SC2150
10-21-13, 05:25 PM
Yes....mid 10 sec on motor, 9 sec on a little spray. Cover car on Nov, 08 Vette mag and featured on Pinks all out once. Still good cruiser with A/C and nice sound system, etc. on the street tires & wheels.

When were building an engine to use a vac pump on we use a low tension ring-set so the vacuum helps seal better and usually see 20-30 hp more on a 900-1000 hp engine. Let me know if you need some guidance on the setup.

What tracks do you run at?

R/T kota
10-21-13, 06:45 PM
Nice car and thanks, I will take you up on that.
We go to Toronto motorsports park (Cayuga Ont.)
and St Thomas dragway

Submariner409
10-21-13, 07:20 PM
Oil consumption -------- VERY different engine, but ............. My car was built in 02/02 and purchased in May of 2002 on Staten Island, NY. Two days after buying the car the owner and wife left for a 2-day run to Marathon, FL, stayed 6 days and came back. If you know I-95 on the east coast, from the VA/NC border to FL it's 75 - 85 all the way. The car did this again in August of 2002 and every 5 months until it was traded in 08/05. Bought it in 11/05 and I drive the Northstar hard and fast as well as take long road trips. Running 5W-30 synthetic and not babying the thing I get over 6,000 miles/quart of oil. The previous owner ??? He and I correspond and he gave me every piece of paper on the car from 2002 to 2005. My Cadillac salesman found the car in 09/05 during an online search.

Engine break-in is worth its weight in gold, modern manufacturing be damned. The car currently has 65,000 miles on it.

turnne
10-22-13, 08:08 AM
deleted

----------

How many Toyota engines died due to oil sludge? They denied it for years. There are other such stories.

LOL

not even close to oil consumption in the v6 or HG issues in the Northstar

lets be real here.....I have not seen any oil sludge problems in Toyota Luxury vehicles( Lexus)

I agree..GM didnt have to help him out

However at what point does a company know that they about to lose a customer forever and it "might" be in their best interest to offer some financial assistance

because people that have problems talk a lot more than those who dont and word of mouth can be very damaging to a companies reputation

IMO...the whole HG issue with the Northstar did a very good job of bringing the resale value of the cars down

you can speak to HG issues right?
if you have moment please point me to where I can see stories about engine issues in a Lexus vehicle?

I have perused Lexus forums for years and haven't seen any engine issues

Warren

----------

I dont buy that idea

making the assumption that cars are driven in different ways due to different owners

All engines should have about the same long term reliability...and they dont

Warren

SC2150
10-22-13, 11:03 AM
Oil consumption -------- VERY different engine, but ............. My car was built in 02/02 and purchased in May of 2002 on Staten Island, NY. Two days after buying the car the owner and wife left for a 2-day run to Marathon, FL, stayed 6 days and came back. If you know I-95 on the east coast, from the VA/NC border to FL it's 75 - 85 all the way. The car did this again in August of 2002 and every 5 months until it was traded in 08/05. Bought it in 11/05 and I drive the Northstar hard and fast as well as take long road trips. Running 5W-30 synthetic and not babying the thing I get over 6,000 miles/quart of oil. The previous owner ??? He and I correspond and he gave me every piece of paper on the car from 2002 to 2005. My Cadillac salesman found the car in 09/05 during an online search.

Engine break-in is worth its weight in gold, modern manufacturing be damned. The car currently has 65,000 miles on it.

deleted

AMen!!! Breaking these in properly the first few hundred miles is critical. The engine must have full acceleration and not be baied....and there are more like sub w/no issues if that crucial first few hundred miles enough pressure and forces are applied to ensure a good ring seat.

----------

LOL

not even close to oil consumption in the v6 or HG issues in the Northstar

lets be real here.....I have not seen any oil sludge problems in Toyota Luxury vehicles( Lexus)

I agree..GM didnt have to help him out

However at what point does a company know that they about to lose a customer forever and it "might" be in their best interest to offer some financial assistance

because people that have problems talk a lot more than those who dont and word of mouth can be very damaging to a companies reputation

IMO...the whole HG issue with the Northstar did a very good job of bringing the resale value of the cars down

you can speak to HG issues right?
if you have moment please point me to where I can see stories about engine issues in a Lexus vehicle?

I have perused Lexus forums for years and haven't seen any engine issues

Warren

----------

I dont buy that idea

making the assumption that cars are driven in different ways due to different owners

All engines should have about the same long term reliability...and they dont

Warren

Again correct. Oil sludge is from Non synthetic engine oils run past oil change intervals, and on the race engines, we subject them in a season to more than a passenger car is in a lifetime. How we break them in and what we see when yearly tear down and refresh is done tells us a ton about how they wear and what goes on. :thumbsup:

RippyPartsDept
10-22-13, 02:05 PM
can't you get sludge from syn oils run low on oil for extended periods of time?

barchetta6
10-22-13, 08:39 PM
I was at a qt every 1200 miles. Switched to Amsoil xl 5w-30. now use a qt every 2500 miles. best oil on market. Engine runs cooler and smoother. Its called blow by.