: Cheapest way for nice sounding exhaust ?

nunii
04-25-13, 12:02 AM
The car is a lease so I don't really want to spend extra money on a car that isn't
Mine .....can I just put a hole in the pipe and plug it in later on?

Smokin80
04-25-13, 01:35 AM
really dude....this isnt a 1992 chevy lumina

KlrV
04-25-13, 08:08 AM
Seriously?

SoCalCTSV
04-25-13, 08:37 AM
Yes!! Do it.

Do it for the thread !!!!!!

(Opens up my folding chair, grabs a 12 pack and some pretzels)

nunii
04-25-13, 10:37 AM
Ok so it's a bad idea ! It's so quiet they should have put the same muffler as the 2008 corvette

SoCalCTSV
04-25-13, 11:25 AM
The car insulation doesn't help.

I have a B&B catback and barely hear it but everyone says it sounds great.

matt116
04-25-13, 12:19 PM
2nd that for B&B

Moparman4444
04-25-13, 01:13 PM
I'm sure there are many on the board who would like the same thing but didn't want to ask the question or at least phrase it the way you did, so don't feel bad.

The responses do point out the higher cost reality of owning a Cadillac;ie, nothing is cheap. Sad but true.

Have you ever considered drilling holes in your exhaust pipes? That will make it louder and at no cost to you! lol Sorry but I couldn't resisit.

Random84
04-25-13, 03:05 PM
I agree that the dual-mode baffled mufflers from a corvette would be great - quiet when you want civility, practically straight pipes when you want to get noticed.

Too bad though.

It may be cheaper to roll the windows down and drive around in low gear. If not, any decent muffler shop can swap out OEM for Corsa, Borla, etc for around a grand I'd imagine.

You could also just have the shop cut open your mufflers, remove the innards and tac in straight pipes - you'd want this done under the table as I'm not sure it's completely legal from a "sound polution" standpoint...

kwilson
04-25-13, 06:57 PM
Would you take a drill to it if it was yours? Just go spend a grand and buy an exhaust or in the alternative buy some glass packs and go to your local exhaust shop. Cheap and loud:)

SecretWeapon
04-25-13, 06:58 PM
Buy a set of Borla muffs. Put them on. Enjoy. Sell them on Ebay when you turn the car back in. Otherwise. Cut outs!

basa
04-25-13, 07:32 PM
Do you also want a cheap Intake too?
Get the same drill that you're going to drill your exhaust pipes with and drill you intake box and tube.

nunii
04-25-13, 08:29 PM
That's what I said like cut outs without the option to shut it up!
How many mufflers do I have to buy 2?

RaVeNous
04-26-13, 03:11 PM
....pleast don't cut holes....

You could install electric cutouts, which would allow a similar effect without destroying the exhaust pipe. There are going to be times when you don't want the car to sound like a pro street rod....I would think.

I have heard that some people have liked the sound of the stock exhaust with aftermarket performance cats, and X-pipe replacement. I also believe I have seen some threads where the stock mufflers had a bypass pipe installed between the pipe and the tips, to bypass the mufflers with some of the flow and sound with results they were happy with.

I think the stock exhaust sounds pretty good myself, though it is a bit quiet inside of the car. That really is kind of the point though, and its by design, its not supposed to sound like a muslce car with glass packs......

OldRoadDawg
04-26-13, 03:23 PM
This - in the polished finish would be my choice. . . O-Pipe (http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=41)

Prdnme
04-27-13, 08:24 PM
I'm sure there are many on the board who would like the same thing but didn't want to ask the question or at least phrase it the way you did, so don't feel bad.

Oh man.....I would not be surprised if many from this board considered cutting holes in their exhaust to make it louder.:cookoo:

V locity
04-27-13, 09:39 PM
But... Have you ever considered cutting holes in the box? There might be a surprise!

Stillborn
04-28-13, 02:48 PM
i did a straight pipe mod. (muffler delete) for @ $250.00. (including aftermarket black powder coated tips). any local muffler shop can do it, just go in and ask questions before you assume anything... but i own the car, so i'm not sure if this is something you may want to consider... good luck.

Boosted2000si
04-29-13, 05:15 AM
I wonder if you could reach into the muffler with an extension and hole saw and maybe drill a few holes on the inner baffles?

We used to do this on our CBR -RR bikes.

JKG
04-29-13, 08:45 AM
The trouble with any muffler mod is that it will sound great from outside the car, and behind the car. but for the guy DRIVING the car, not so much. To really heat the exhaust, the driver needs to have cutouts UNDER the car (lots of drone though) or side exiting pipes (just not possible with this car as far as I can tell, at least not without looking ridiculous.) The racing V's have a hole in the rocker just in front of the rear tire for side exit. I wish there was some way to do that - to buy that rocker panel piece.
The exhaust cutout option is not bad for a lease - have a muffler shop install the cutout, then you can remove the electric valve and just block off the cutout when you return the car. keep the expensive electric valve for your next ride.