: FIX for the OnStar red status light!

davedogcaddy
04-24-13, 10:35 PM
Some of you may remember I have been having an intermittent issue with the OnStar status light being RED instead of the normal GREEN. When this first happened I called OnStar and tried to get them to run their diagnostics, but they said the red light meant that there was something malfunctioning with the OnStar equipment and they claimed that this would result in 'inaccurate' diagnostics, and suggested a dealership visit. I made an appointment, but of course by the time I got there the light was back to green and they said they couldn't find any problems.

Fast forward to today and the light turns red again. :mad: So this time I call OnStar determined to get them to run the diagnostics. After getting the same lines about the 'diagnostics would not be accurate' I convinced them to run them anyway and give me any codes so I could pass them onto the dealership since the dealership couldn't figure it out. I was put on hold for about 5 mins while they ran the diagnostics and they came back with the error code B2470 - which points to a fault in the OnStar antenna. Did some digging online and found while it can be a bad antenna, or bad coax cable to the antenna, that more often than not it is actually a loose connection at either the antenna or the OnStar module, usually the OnStar module. More digging got me the location of the OnStar module.....so 10 mins of work plus a can of electronics cleaner and I've solved what the dealership couldn't track down while they had my car for a week! :suspect:

I made a YouTube instructional video to help anyone who has this issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBIoMsUKYA

adamjeeps
04-24-13, 10:49 PM
Nice work! That's crazy OnStar did not give you the error code on the first call.

Sadly, it seems most techs can't troubleshoot anything when a computer does not tell them what is wrong.