: So i was told that GM has given up on the clicking wheels issue

mrkool
04-24-13, 03:50 PM
My 2012 is clicking so i took it in and the Shop foreman told me that GM has given up on trying to fix this clicking issue and they are saying that now the fix is at every oil change you take all the wheels off clean the brakes and put the wheels back on? this is a BS solution what about when my warranty runs out?

neuronbob
04-24-13, 04:30 PM
Sigh.

Well, at least I switch out wheels twice a year (winters on/off), so I get the surfaces cleaned at least that often. I had no clicking on my 2009 V using that technique.

hulksdaddy
04-24-13, 04:56 PM
Embrace the Click.

jpks
04-24-13, 05:45 PM
they just cleaned brakes rotors and back of wheels are put on new lugs nuts.. have some type of blue coating inside..
seems to work for now...

shchow
04-24-13, 06:28 PM
I've noticed when I have my winter wheels on, there is no click.
It's definitely the OEM rims/tires.
Probably a size issue, because my winter setup is not as wide.
I've embraced the click...

yaymitch
04-24-13, 06:57 PM
I only get the click when turning, is that what others are experiencing?

Jinx
04-24-13, 07:58 PM
In other words they have determined that this is a maintenance item. So when your warranty runs out you will have to do this yourself or pay to have it done. What's the exact DIY procedure?

1997BlackETC
04-24-13, 09:40 PM
I thought those new lugs worked? No?

ClarkkentCTSV
04-24-13, 09:55 PM
Remove wheels, clean back of wheel and brake hat, apply a thin layer of Permatex anti-seize to the back of the wheel and go enjoy your car.

OldRoadDawg
04-24-13, 10:11 PM
Remove wheels, clean back of wheel and brake hat, apply a thin layer of Permatex anti-seize to the back of the wheel and go enjoy your car.
But that would involve physical labor and the distinct possibility of getting my hands dirty. Yuck! :bigroll:

hulksdaddy
04-24-13, 10:17 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/hulksdaddy/yoursign_zps3ff768a7.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/hulksdaddy/media/yoursign_zps3ff768a7.jpg.html)

Trapspeed
04-24-13, 10:27 PM
So essentially what they've done is go back to version "B" of the TSB. Nice. Thankfully, my new rotors seem to have done it but I'm still baffled how something so relatively simple baffles engineers.

Chuck
04-24-13, 10:40 PM
I only get the click when turning, is that what others are experiencing?
Yes.

dennych
04-25-13, 09:31 PM
does anyone have audio of this clicking? I still have no idea what it sounds like.

ClarkkentCTSV
04-25-13, 10:00 PM
does anyone have audio of this clicking? I still have no idea what it sounds like.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't hear anything don't go out of your way to listen out for it. Enjoy the fact that your car doesn't make any unusual noises.

Trapspeed
04-25-13, 10:02 PM

Yes believe us. If you hear it, you'll know it without any question.

neuronbob
04-26-13, 05:55 AM
Correct, it is obvious. Do you remember when you were a kid and put clipped cards on your bike wheels to make that clicking noise? That is exactly what it sounds like.

dennych
04-26-13, 01:32 PM
K, not going to jinx this one -_-

Cnair
04-27-13, 12:19 PM
I don't actually hear the clicking but it feels like the front wheel is bucking (like going over loose gravel) sometimes when I reverse and turn out of a parking spot. Anyone else have these symptoms?

mrkool
04-27-13, 01:05 PM
I don't actually hear the clicking but it feels like the front wheel is bucking (like going over loose gravel) sometimes when I reverse and turn out of a parking spot. Anyone else have these symptoms?

this is normal as well :) it is worst in cold weather then hot

Cnair
04-27-13, 01:23 PM
this is normal as well it is worst in cold weather then hot

Both of us have the same cars pretty much :)...2002 supercharged Z06 here

theamcguy
04-27-13, 02:54 PM
The last TSB issued on the problem has an "N" suffix and directs that all 20 lug nuts be changed. What has been particularly maddening for this issue is that they have not found a 100% fix. Some were fixed with the cleaning and retorque, some fixed with the new rotors, some with the new lug nuts, but there are others that the repairs under the various iterations of the TSBs worked for only a short period of time and then the click returned. The most successful repair has been with the new lug nuts, but it has not been 100% as a few here have complained that after X number of miles or time the click has returned. If you have the new lug nuts and the click returns then I would suggest removing the front wheels cleaning, applying anti-seize to the rotor hat and the wheel face where it rides on the hat, and torque to spec. Others have solved the problem that way. The problem is documented as being caused by aluminum to aluminum contact, I guess the anti-seize provides enough lubrication to relieve the pressure that is heard as an audible click when it get released.

the blur
04-28-13, 07:56 PM
Are the lug nuts on the black wheels black ?

JFJr
04-28-13, 08:44 PM

I hear that they are lime green to counter the Japanese.

Jud :lildevil:

KellyE
04-28-13, 09:14 PM
My car developed the clicking at 5000 miles. Took it to the dealer, they put the grease on (which ended up everywhere!:want:), new lugs nut (they stickout) and retorqued. I drove it about 1000 miles (short trip) in a weekend. By the time I got home the clicking was back! I took in back and the lugs nuts were retorqued. I requested not to put that messy grease back on... That is the fix..:cookoo:

dennych
04-29-13, 03:23 AM

As someone else mentioned, it's probably tied to loose weather. I experienced the first time I had my V in Vegas. In the morning when it was super cold I was backing out of the space and it went thunk thunk. I think it was like crabbing or something.

Josh2010
04-29-13, 05:21 AM
I just had mine fixed and was told no such thing they fixed mine last week. They took the wheels off and cleaned them., they cleaned the brakes, and gave me new lug nuts.....no more clicking yay!!!!!

neuronbob
04-29-13, 05:46 AM

They are the regular silver.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-29-13, 07:16 PM
I just had mine fixed and was told no such thing they fixed mine last week. They took the wheels off and cleaned them., they cleaned the brakes, and gave me new lug nuts.....no more clicking yay!!!!!

Hi Josh2010,

Glad to hear your issue was fixed! Enjoy driving your awesome Cadillac around with no more clicking :)

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Snotty Boom Body
04-29-13, 11:29 PM
Hi my name is Snotty Boom Body and I'm a alcoh.... I mean I'm a clicker.

Have a 2013 coupe that's about 10 months old with 4,000 miles and its clicking
I'm going to pull the wheels off this week and try the cleaning, anti seize solution and see if that helps

SBB

djspl
04-30-13, 02:45 AM
Correct, it is obvious. Do you remember when you were a kid and put clipped cards on your bike wheels to make that clicking noise? That is exactly what it sounds like.

I was driving home from dinner one night with my girlfriend and my Vagon started making exactly that sound. We were trying to determine where it was coming from. We concluded something under the car near the storage/e brake area. The clicking was relative to the speed of the car. The clicking did not occur specifically when turning the wheels.

The next day we took a slow ride to the dealer for an oil change, a fix of the seat clunk while cornering, a new front splitter (the driveway exiting my local post has a wicked transition!) and the new clicking issue.

A couple of days later the dealer had all the work done and an answer... a label that had been wrapped around the driveshaft started unraveling and was "thwacking" the area under the center storage area.

I'm just writing this because it happened, I'm not claiming to have solved the CTSV clicking issue. I've just switched back to my summer tires (I have 2 sets of factory wheels with Michelins and Pirelli Sottozero II) and my 2012 Vagon has yet to exhibit any wheel clicking after 6 months. All is well, my Cadillac CTSV Wagon is a dream to drive. Thanks to Watsonville Cadillac for taking care of my car.

Edit: also, I use Mcgard spline drive lug nuts (I wanted black lug nuts) and I only clean the wheels and mounting face.I don't grease anything. I torque up to 140 ft pounds in 4 stages.

BBD
04-30-13, 09:49 AM
I just purchased my 2012 V Sedan in February brand new I now have 1600 miles on it and I have been plagued with the clicking noise and brake squeal since the second month. The noise mostly comes from the right side of the car when I make left turns or just basically move the steering wheel left. I also have my brake squealing horrendously with light brake pressure. This will be my second time bringing it into the dealer for the same issues, hopefully tomorrow they will try and replace my lug nuts for the clicking. They have stated no fix for the brake squeal, not sure what to do about that, kinda annoying having a V and coming to a light and other cars look over since the brakes make so much noise.