Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tires Tires Tires

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  06WhiteDiamond 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So last year i purchased a brand new set of Yokohama Avid envigor tires for the STS (235/50/17) all around. I have had them for almost 20,000 km's and they are absolutely the worst tires i have ever purchased. The tires all wear unevenly and the road noise is unbreakable. Stay away from these tires!

So with that said i am currently in the market for a new set of tires, i am considering the Continental DW and Continental DWS. When i purchased the car the previous owner was kind enough to give me a brand new set of Continental winter tires so i am leaning towards the DW for more spirited driving. I was wondering if anybody on this forum has had any past experience with the DW line as apposed to the DWS. I used the search function but i cannot find any information on the DW's.

#4 ·
I almost went with the DW's on my CTS but opted for the DWS's as they come with a 50k mile tread warranty, the DW's have no tread warranty at all.

I plan on getting a new set of DWS's for my STS very soon, love those tires, it actually came with them when I bought it but they wore out just in time for my Cooper winter rubber to get mounted last November.

#5 ·
I just put a set of DWS's on my '06 STS last week based on posts I had read here recommending them. They are much smoother and quieter than the original Michelins that I replaced - only got 39k miles on the car. When you buy, I would recommend looking at Discount Tire Direct. I saved over $250 buying them from there and having them mounted and balanced locally. I ordered them Saturday night and they were delivered Wednesday - no taxes, no shipping.

#7 ·
My wife's car has DW 235/50R17's Easter-Thanksgiving. They are great Summer tires. I wish it were Summer!

For the OP, uneven wear is usually not the tire's fault. While the STS holds an alignment well, they do tend to wear the outer shoulders of the front tires. Worn shocks or control arms (common on the non-MRC STS) also cause uneven wear.

Frequent rotation can extend tire life by over 50%.

#11 ·
Thanks for chiming in EChas3,

I just had the STS in at the dealership a few weeks back and had both lower control arms replaced along with the two front shock absorbers(shocks) since the springs rarely if ever go bad. The car rides a lot better now but it feels very rough on the road and the steering wheel has vibration. I would like to note that i also feel the vibration while holding the shifter knob and i feel it in the seat as well but it is more prominently felt when holding the steering wheel. I had the tech check the shocks in the rear and he says everything looks good. (Note, the tires in the rear seem to be wearing odd on the inner side)

So because of my vibration issue i have been experiencing, i decided to purchase a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires with road force balancing hoping that this will fix the problem. I am also certain that i may have failed motor mounts or diff bushings. On cold mornings i tend to feel a vibration through the pedal and cabin while waiting for the vehicle to warm up, i also have the thud when shifting gears, IE drive to park, park to reverse etc.. etc..

#16 ·
I am sorry to hear about your Yokohama Avid envigor tires as I have a set on my 2001 Eldorado and they are great. Look good at car shows with out dressing, too.

I put Continental DW on the STS and they are good, but I have not seen or heard much difference over my other tires.

#17 ·
I am almost broke now since i have spent $4000.00 in the last three weeks fixing all the issues on the STS(no warranty), i really should have just traded it in and put $10,000.00 down on an 2009 CTS loaded to the tits. A recommendation for future members is save your money or buy an STS with warranty. Don't get me wrong this is a great vehicle to drive and i get compliments quite often. I bought this car for $8,500.00 last year and have already put half of the vehicles value in just repairs. Next on the list is a 2009 CTS-V.

G
#18 ·
I also have Yoko Avid Envigor's on my STS and I am not happy with the treadwear. 20K miles and only 4-5/32nds left. I estimate I will only get 30K miles before replacing. Other than that they are OK. Is the Conti DWS a directional tire?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.