: DFW header install question?

BigDaddy-V
04-24-13, 10:12 AM
What have any of you guys done for passing emission testing after installing LT? I have some ideas of what to do and keep cost down but I still want to get the best flow I can but keep costs down as much as I can. I plan on running cats for the smell and staying legal, but just wondering if you guys are passing with High Flows and what you are doing.

On a similar/side note, would taking the resonator off of the Corsa cause to much drone? Sound isn't to much of an issue but it is a DD and will have the family in it too but the drone is more of the concern.

BDV

HAMSTAR
04-24-13, 10:59 AM
Taking the resonator off the Corsa will make it louder, but it won't make it drone. The Corsa muffler design itself is what kills the drone.

BigDaddy-V
04-24-13, 12:52 PM
That is great news about the resonator! I was going to install myself and was thinking for clearance issues and things taking it out and adding straight pipe and frankenstein the exhaust up a bit.

BDV

darkman
04-24-13, 12:53 PM
If you run high flow cats you will most likely need to have tuner neutralize the rear O2 sensors whose sole purpose is to measure cat efficiency. Some high flows will pass for a little while but will eventually throw a code that will prevent passing the OBDII inspection.

BigDaddy-V
04-24-13, 06:24 PM
That is my fear with the high flows. That is why I was wondering what everybody was doing to pass emissions. I know they can be tuned out but then it will throw a code then too. I guess until anybody says otherwise I will go with my plan in my head.

BDV

darkman
04-24-13, 07:23 PM
That is my fear with the high flows. That is why I was wondering what everybody was doing to pass emissions. I know they can be tuned out but then it will throw a code then too. I guess until anybody says otherwise I will go with my plan in my head.

BDV

Once the rear O2 sensors are tuned out it will not throw codes, nor will the state inspection process detect their absence. In your area check with SNL Performance or 21st Century Muscle Cars.

BigDaddy-V
04-24-13, 08:25 PM
I thought if they get tuned out then they don't put out a signal and on the OBDII test then you would fail? Guess I thought it was different. Out west we didn't have to plug in so I am new to this inspection testing.

BDV

darkman
04-24-13, 10:14 PM
I thought if they get tuned out then they don't put out a signal and on the OBDII test then you would fail? Guess I thought it was different. Out west we didn't have to plug in so I am new to this inspection testing.

BDV
At one time, perhaps under the OBDI setups or when using fake bungs/sensors, there was a work around that behaved as you describe. It would pass visual inspections but would throw codes. I don't recall the details. In any event, that is not a problem here.

nikdsctsv
04-25-13, 04:06 PM
It will pass inspection and have no cel. Call LG Motorsports in Plano, they shut my 02's off for 165$ and i had my car inspected last week with no problems. At which point why even run cats? I have OBX headers and no cats, although it looks like it has them, they are empty.

HAMSTAR
04-25-13, 04:30 PM
At which point why even run cats?

I realized this only after my inspection, because when I was buying my headers, I didn't yet fully understand how the inspection worked. I got catted connectors, but if I were to do it over, I would def go catless.

BigDaddy-V
04-25-13, 09:57 PM
Nikdsctsv,

Where are you at and maybe I can check out your ride? Do you get any of the smell that people talk about? How much did it open up your car and did you get the tune done too while they were getting rid of the rear 02's? I have been going back and forth with box or the pacesetters. What does yours sound like and what is the rest of the exhaust you have? Where did you get it inspected at too?

BDV

nikdsctsv
05-21-13, 05:19 PM
Nikdsctsv,

Where are you at and maybe I can check out your ride? Do you get any of the smell that people talk about? How much did it open up your car and did you get the tune done too while they were getting rid of the rear 02's? I have been going back and forth with box or the pacesetters. What does yours sound like and what is the rest of the exhaust you have? Where did you get it inspected at too?

BDV

Sorry for the awesomely delayed response. I live in Grapevine Tx, not sure where you are at but yeah more than welcome to meet up where ever. I do not get any smell that people talk about. I do not know hoe they get a smell IMO. If the exhuast leaks up toward the front I could see getting a smell. But to smell when it is coming out of the tips, while driving down the road? No way. No I did not get a tune when I was there. Tunes cost like 600$ and require dyno time. Something I'm holding off on doing untill I put my heads and cam together. I love the sound of my car, quiet for DD, but loud up high. OBX 1 7/8" catless with magnaflow there back and x pipe. As for the inspection, I cannot say! As I "know a guy" and there are other issues with my car passing inspection