: Resale value of rebuilt trans?

Nate37AZ
04-24-13, 03:24 AM
So it's about time to rebuild the trans in the V, as the input shaft bearing appears to be bad. In addition, the flywheel has gone bad in the last year, so I would replace the clutch and flywheel at the same time. All in, I'm looking at about $3k for the rebuild ($1500 for rebuilt Tick unit, $600 for LS7 clutch/flywheel, $600 labor, $300 misc parts like remote bleeder). I don't plan to mod this car heavily or track it, so I figure the Tick rebuild is good enough.

The other route I've considered is selling the car in a year or so and maybe upgrading to a V2 (or some sort of tow rig for my track car). So the question is, how much will I help out the resale value of the car by rebuilding the trans? I doubt I would see the full $3k in resale, but would it be $1500? $2k? Or to put it another way, what's the car worth now as it sits? It's a 2005 with 106k, in excellent condition save for the trans.

alradco
04-24-13, 11:24 AM
Trying to sell the car with a bad trans is going to beat down the price quite a bit and limit your market, imo. Having documentation that the car has year old trans should be very helpful and I would think would bring you at least $2k more when selling the car.

Nate37AZ
04-24-13, 05:45 PM
That's kind of what I thought. The car sounds bad right now, even though it runs fine and is totally driveable... but no one wants to buy a car that needs a rebuild, unless they get a killer deal on it.

izcain
04-24-13, 06:55 PM
That's kind of what I thought. The car sounds bad right now, even though it runs fine and is totally driveable... but no one wants to buy a car that needs a rebuild, unless they get a killer deal on it.

Exactly man, Buying a car then immediately dumping another 3k plus in addition to the purchase right off the bat might be a hard pill for a lot of people to swallow unless they get a screamin deal on the car.

RyRidesMotoX
04-24-13, 08:09 PM
You may not see resale value go up over another used V, but you don't want to take a $2-3k hit on the car without a new trans.

Nate37AZ
04-25-13, 04:10 PM
You may not see resale value go up over another used V, but you don't want to take a $2-3k hit on the car without a new trans.

Yeah that makes sense. Well thanks for the help guys! I will probably pull the trigger on the clutch/flywheel kit in the next couple of days. Can't wait to see how much better this thing drives with a new tranny, it has been this way since right after I bought it...

robojesus
04-25-13, 04:16 PM
why pay tick? call around to a few local trans shops. they may be able to replace that bearing fairly cheaper, and if you plan on selling, no need for overkill, IMO.